• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    In some areas, police are forbidden to pursue when speeds exceed 100 mph. Not only do you have the car to worry about, but there's also officers doing that speed now. Plus, engaging in pursuit takes the focus away from the driver, and also pushes them to drive crazier trying to lose the cops. They usually just call in aerial support when available and use traffic cameras to get plate info.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Radio the next town with a description, cops already waiting for him.

This may not work in larger cities but when there are only a couple of directions you can go out of town.....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It is almost humorous some folks think you can roll 100+ coast to coast on an interstate and even if observed by police, nothing happens. Please share with us how many hundreds of miles you have traveled on an Interstate at 100+MPH and not been pulled over.

LOL. Keep thinking that. Very wishful thinking. I have yet to meet anyone who can read the plates of a car passing at that speed.

Don't need to read the plates, just a description of the car would be fine:

Buford: Hey Barney we got a Mercedes moving at 120+ East on 80. Just passed MM100.
    Barney: OK, I am leaving DunkinDounts and will get on at MM110, he should be here in three minutes. Me and Buford will run a rolling roadblock to get him down to 50 and then pick him off.

And 99.9% of the cops I have talked to wouldn't even bother chasing.

I doubt you have questioned 1000 cops to come up with that claim, but even if you did, you still have not talked to 99.9% of all cops.

Besides the fact, do you really think someone would pull over after seeing a cop? Nope.

Yes I do. Kyle Busch was clocked at 128 and was still pulled over and ticketed.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    It is almost humorous some folks think you can roll 100+ coast to coast on an interstate and even if observed by police, nothing happens. Please share with us how many hundreds of miles you have traveled on an Interstate at 100+MPH and not been pulled over.

See post #55

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Good luck running from the cops, ya better hope ya don't get caught!

§38.04. EVADING ARREST OR DETENTION. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally flees from a person he knows is a peace officer attempting lawfully to arrest or detain him.
    (b) An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor, except that the offense is:
    (1) a state jail felony if the actor uses a vehicle while the actor is in flight and the actor has not been previously convicted under this section;
    (2) a felony of the third degree if:
    (A) the actor uses a vehicle while the actor is in flight and the actor has been previously convicted under this section; or
    (B) another suffers serious bodily injury as a direct result of an attempt by the officer from whom the actor is fleeing to apprehend the actor while the actor is in flight; or
    (3) a felony of the second degree if another suffers death as a direct result of an attempt by the officer from whom the actor is fleeing to apprehend the actor while the actor is in flight.
    (c) In this section, "vehicle" has the meaning assigned by Section 541.201, Transportation Code.
    (d) A person who is subject to prosecution under both this section and another law may be prosecuted under either or both this section and the other law.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 504, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987. Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 126, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989; Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994; Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 708, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, § 30.240, eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1334, § 3, eff. Sept. 1, 2001; Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1480, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you read the accounts (wired.com has a good one) of the 2007 record, the police evasion tactics were pretty serious. So that the nondescript car could better get lost when it blew by police on the side of the road, the tail lights were on a switch. When evading, they killed the rear lights, removing one of the major markers that the police can use to identify a vehicle traveling so fast that it must maneuver in and out of traffic. They also monitored radio, kept in touch with their eye in the sky, and weren't averse to pulling off the road and hiding.

Yes, the advantage is to the police. A smart, well-funded, and determined criminal, however, can make their job so much more difficult that the crook just might win.

Also note that the 2007 record-setter got caught on multiple tries and had already paid a high price before he finally succeeded. I don't know what aborted attempts the current (disputed) record-holder went through before he succeeded. For all I know, he did it on the first try. Still, it's not something I'd be willing to attempt.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If you read the accounts (wired.com has a good one) of the 2007 record, the police evasion tactics were pretty serious. So that the nondescript car could better get lost when it blew by police on the side of the road, the tail lights were on a switch. When evading, they killed the rear lights, removing one of the major markers that the police can use to identify a vehicle traveling so fast that it must maneuver in and out of traffic. They also monitored radio, kept in touch with their eye in the sky, and weren't averse to pulling off the road and hiding.

Yes, the advantage is to the police. A smart, well-funded, and determined criminal, however, can make their job so much more difficult that the crook just might win.

Also note that the 2007 record-setter got caught on multiple tries and had already paid a high price before he finally succeeded. I don't know what aborted attempts the current (disputed) record-holder went through before he succeeded. For all I know, he did it on the first try. Still, it's not something I'd be willing to attempt.

Adding,

He claims it was the first try, He claims to have started planning 4 years ago, started outfitting the car 18 month ago, but his two passengers only signed up 3 days and 18 hours before, thus had nearly zero experience in the car. His laser jammer was not ready and he left anyway without it. His car, while outfitted with 2 extra tanks, was really not optimized for this type of event.

Keep in mind also that as time goes by, this gets harder and harder to do due to congestion and other issues.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio

the new dude also had the taillights wired to shut off

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Ok, Renegade. Which times and days would you have chosen to do something like this if it was up to you (and you had the inclination of course) to avoid as many potential confrontations as possible???

From my experience, they did it at the best time to avoid the majority of LEO patrols. Of course, there was a small time frame around bar closing time when the risk was higher than for most of the run, but on the whole it was chosen at least saturated time possible.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Ok, Renegade. Which times and days would you have chosen to do something like this if it was up to you (and you had the inclination of course) to avoid as many potential confrontations as possible???

From my experience, they did it at the best time to avoid the majority of LEO patrols. Of course, there was a small time frame around bar closing time when the risk was higher than for most of the run, but on the whole it was chosen at least saturated time possible.

Well a nighttime run certainly helps make it difficult for cops to see you catch you. The problem is reduced visibility, deer, etc., make it such you might not be able to run at top speed. But daytime traffic is much higher so you are running slower as a result of that.

I think I would leave a little later, so as not to be running across NY/NJ/PA during prime-time drunk hours. Of course a couple of practice runs during these times in the weeks before will let you know what is the best time. Another option is to leave when they did or earlier, and just "give up" on high speed running until you are in eastern PA. Then make up the time.

Ideally you would make 2-3 speed limit runs to see when is best, but perhaps that is too expensive.

As I mentioned, I make a run from Texas to this area frequently, it took me several runs before I was able to identify consistent traffic patterns and how to avoid them. So I would have made a few coast-coast practice runs first.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Ok, I would like to see (without me expending too much effort) the times when they hit populated areas. I have zero experience driving in that part of the east coast, so I don't know which of the interstates easily bypass high traffic areas and which don't.

With the prep that went into the thing, I would have thought times would have been a priority so that is why I believe they did their research and left at what they believed was the optimal time frame for the driving conditions and traffic expected.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    With the prep that went into the thing, I would have thought times would have been a priority so that is why I believe they did their research and left at what they believed was the optimal time frame for the driving conditions and traffic expected.

Agreed. It may have sucked for the NY/NJ/P{A area, but IMO you cannot go fast there anyway. Perhaps they conceded that even though the article suggested otherwise. But if leaving at that time is good for the rest of the route, it is a no-brainer.

Seems like a fun thing to attempt.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom