• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Importer would have guessed the same as the FFL, only difference is the importer is the responsible party for the firearm once it arrives here.

Unless gun is a used gun when the FFL received it, the FFL couldn't test fire it. It wouldn't be new anymore and he would have to sell it as used and profit go bye bye. Sadly, FFLs aren't like car dealers where they can drive the car around a bit and then still sell as "new" with some miles on it.

While CAI would be responsible for the gun as soon as FFL transferred ownership, the FFL might have been willing to help. In this case, though, it doesn't seem like the FFL was really willing to do anything so it might be a moot point at this time.
    I was under the impression it was a used gun, but I suppose it could have been new?

Anyways, if it was new, shame on the manufacturer for not test firing it and sending proof of that with the gun. Still, FFL should at a minimum give the buyer $150 store credit, if not full refund.
    Gun Zone Deals

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    What FFL makes $150 off a transfer. This is more than just a transfer via FFL. The FFL in this situation is seller or retailer who sold a faulty item to the buyer. He needs to either refund the $150 profit or offer a credit for the same amount. If this happened to me, I would never buy from this retailer again and make my voice loud and clear on the internet as to how I was treated.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    When the discontinued item was deemed irreparable, the manufacturer should have given the owner the option to receive the item back.

However...Refunding the "cost" back to the dealer should trigger the dealer to refund the buyer in full.

As a manufacturers rep, in a wholly different industry, I have done this several times. The factory gives their refund to me, and I give my refund to my customer.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    What FFL makes $150 off a transfer. This is more than just a transfer via FFL.

The selling FFL did not make $150. The missing $150 is also Shipping, Insurance, and FFL fee for the transferring dealer. Should UPS also give a refund? How about the Transferring FFL? Lots of people have provided services to the OP in the debacle, not just the selling FFL.

He needs to either refund the $150 profit or offer a credit for the same amount. If this happened to me, I would never buy from this retailer again and make my voice loud and clear on the internet as to how I was treated.

You can't be serious. What retailer anywhere in the USA gives a full refund when the customer does not return the merchandise to them?

Again, why are you guys letting CAI off the hook for STEALING the gun and then trying SKIP out on a proper refund?

ETA

Here is breakdown from OP:

The retailer sold the Pietta for $450 + shipping ($475) and then $20 for FFL transfer here in TX. He made $100 profit and UPS made a profit and the FFL made $20 and I have NO GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So FFL has $450-$349 = $101. UPS has $25, Transfer FFL has $20.

ETA2:

So by your guy's logic, everybody (FFL, UPS, Xfer FFL, OP) should lose money on this deal, EXCEPT CAI. I cannot comprehend how you guys think that is right.

Last edited:

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    The selling FFL did not make $150. The missing $150 is also Shipping, Insurance, and FFL fee for the transferring dealer. Should UPS also give a refund? How about the Transferring FFL? Lots of people have provided services to the OP in the debacle, not just the selling FFL.

You can't be serious. What retailer anywhere in the USA gives a full refund when the customer does not return the merchandise to them?

Again, why are you guys letting CAI off the hook for STEALING the gun and then trying SKIP out on a proper refund?
    Cai gave the refund to the dealer, as expected, the dealer should have then refunded the buyer.
    Less freight if he feels that is appropriate.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    When the discontinued item was deemed irreparable, the manufacturer should have given the owner the option to receive the item back.

Agreed.

However...Refunding the "cost" back to the dealer should trigger the dealer to refund the buyer in full.

Never should happen this way. As an business owner, I would send any money back to wholesaler. As Yankee says, this is a scam by wholesaler to not pay for the gun.

As a manufacturers rep, in a wholly different industry, I have done this several times. The factory gives their refund to me, and I give my refund to my customer.

As a retailer, I have never heard of this nonsense. Seems like another great scam as if someone in the chain of custody goes out of business, someone other than customer gets to keep the money.

IME as computer MFG and gun Dealer/MFG, the MFG always has made things right directly with customer.

BLUE

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Cai gave the refund to the dealer, as expected, the dealer should have then refunded the buyer.
    Less freight if he feels that is appropriate.

Not as expected. Dealer did not send gun back to CAI asking for refund. All indications are dealer knew nothing till OP called him asking if he got a refund.

This is just scam to for CAI to not accept responsibility and put it on someone else. CAI stole OP gun, they need to give it back to him.

TexbyChoice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Motorcarman,

Get contact information for State Attorney Generals Office of Consumer Affairs for OK and where CAI is located.

Write a letter describing the problem in detail. Clearly identify each party involved. Be polite and professional. Request that the Attorney General Office of Consumer Affairs investigate and spell out precisely what solution you request. Send the original letters to each State Attorney Generals Office. Send a copy of the letter to the Seller and CAI Office of Legal Counsel. Sit back and wait for a big change in attitude from the seller and CAI.

I have used this approach and found once a State Attorney Generals Office starts asking questions, attitudes change real quick.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Not as expected. Dealer did not send gun back to CAI asking for refund. All indications are dealer knew nothing till OP called him asking if he got a refund.
    This is just scam to for CAI to not accept responsibility and put it on someone else. CAI stole OP gun, they need to give it back to him.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Sorry I have not been paying attention for a few days. Yes the revolver was NEW IN BOX.
    I contacted the seller and told him to send the $349. I need something before some sort of 'statute of limitations' runs out. This has been dragging on for a few months.

My plan is to offer the $349 back to CAI for a 'like kind' revolver in .357 or .45 (apparently this is the wholesale/distributor cost of the revolvers).
    If they refuse I guess I will contact Attorneys General in each State (TX, OK and VT where I sent the revolver).
    The CAI headquarters seems to be in Florida and the place to send warranty items is Vermont.

If I never see another Italian repro firearm it will be too soon. I have moved on to Ruger Vaqueros because I know I can deal with Ruger. They sent me replacement parts for one of my Vaqueros AT NO CHARGE. I told them I bought it used and the parts were missing. I offered to pay and they declined payment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

TexbyChoice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Motorcarman,

Totally up to you how to resolve the problem. IMO you are being too logical and too reasonable. CAI and the seller have already established unreasonable positions and expect you to go away. Strongly suggest if you contact CAI asking for a "like kind" exchange that you also indicate refusal on their part will result in Attorney Generals being contacted. Demonstrate you are serious by including a draft copy of your complaint letter to the AG office.

I would also not hesitate at the same time to notify the seller that letters are going to AG offices. No way should you let the seller off the hook.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Why couldnt the dealer take the $349, order another gun of your choosing (.357 or .45) and ship it to you? All you would need to pay is the $20 transfer fee, the dealer wouldnt be out of too much other than a little labor and his rep wouldnt take a hit and you would have your gun. I wonder if that was CAI's plan from the get go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom