then him

Andrew-Napolitano.jpg

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Cruz would make an outstanding justice. I think that's exactly where he would best serve the country.

We desperately need for Trump get at least two more of his picks on the court. I no longer trust Roberts and I don't think Thomas will cling on as long at Kennedy and Ginsburg have.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    So hypothetically speaking, what would happen if Kennedy retired this summer and Trump appointed Cruz? Would he have to resign his Senate seat before going through the confirmation process? It would be a knock-down drag out the likes of which we've never seen, and we've seen some doozies. It's very possible he wouldn't be confirmed, what then? Would the GOP get to name a replacement senate candidate? How would that impact the election - could a D slip in in the midst of all the confusion and changes? As much as I'd love for Cruz to be on the Supreme Court I'd hate to lose that Senate seat.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Trey Gowdy after Cruz?

I'd also like to see him nominate Ann Coulter. The talking heads would explode at the mere mention of her. Her confirmation hearing would be epic!

I would also like to watch a confirmation hearing for Ben Shapiro. How many Dem's questions and personal smears could he answer with "facts don't care about your feelings?"

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    So hypothetically speaking, what would happen if Kennedy retired this summer and Trump appointed Cruz? Would he have to resign his Senate seat before going through the confirmation process? It would be a knock-down drag out the likes of which we've never seen, and we've seen some doozies. It's very possible he wouldn't be confirmed, what then? Would the GOP get to name a replacement senate candidate? How would that impact the election - could a D slip in in the midst of all the confusion and changes? As much as I'd love for Cruz to be on the Supreme Court I'd hate to lose that Senate seat.
    Cruz would be required to step down from the Senate prior to going through the Senate confirmation process. It would be a doozie, that's for sure. As far as a replacement in the Senate, that would be an issue for the State of Texas to deal with, NOT the GOP. The 17th Amendment provides (in pertinent part):

"When vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate, the executive authority of such State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided, That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct."

Top Bottom