• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stockFD3S

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Leon Valley, TX
    Figured this should lighten the days of some.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/20/kennedy.tumor/index.html#cnnSTCText

Doctors: Ted Kennedy has malignant brain tumor

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) -- U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy has a malignant brain tumor, doctors treating him at Massachusetts General Hospital said Tuesday.
    art.kennedy.family.ap.jpg
    Sen. Edward Kennedy and family at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

1 of 2

more photos »

corner_wire_BL.gif

Kennedy, 76, was hospitalized Saturday morning after suffering a seizure at his family's compound at Hyannisport, Massachusetts.
    "Preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal lobe," according to a hospital statement.
    Malignant glioma is the most common primary brain tumor, accounting for more than half of the 18,000 primary malignant brain tumors diagnosed each year in the United States, according to the National Cancer Institute.
    A tumor in that area of the brain could affect Kennedy's ability to speak and understand speech, as well as the strength on the right side of his body, CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta said.
    video.gif
    Watch Gupta describe treatment options »
    The parietal lobes are also responsible for interpreting signals from parts of the brain that focus on vision, hearing, motor skills, sensory input and memory, according to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
    The usual course of treatment for Kennedy's type of tumor includes radiation and chemotherapy, said Dr. Lee Schwamm, vice chairman of the Department of Neurology at Massachusetts General Hospital, and Dr. Larry Ronan, primary care physician.
    interactive.gif
    Learn more about Kennedy's condition »
    Don't Miss

Doctors said Kennedy would remain in the hospital for the next few days while they determine a proper course of treatment.
    Friends and colleagues who spoke to Kennedy since he was hospitalized Saturday said he was alert and in good spirits.
    As politicians across party lines reflected on Kennedy's contributions to the U.S. Senate, where he has represented Massachusetts since 1962, many cited his fighting spirit.
    "Everybody needs to pull for him and his family and remember this guy is one unbelievable fighter," Kerry said. "He is determined to fight this because he wants to continue to fight for the people of Massachusetts. He wants to continue fighting for the things he believes here in the U.S. Senate."
    video.gif
    Watch Kerry talk about Kennedy's fighting spirit »
    Sen. Barack Obama, the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination, described Kennedy as a "giant" of the Senate.
    "I think you can argue that I would not be sitting here as a presidential candidate had it not been for some of the battles that Ted Kennedy has fought," Obama told CNN's Wolf Blitzer.
    "He is somebody who battled for voting rights and civil rights when I was a child. I stand on his shoulders," said Obama, who was waiting for the results of primaries in Kentucky on Tuesday.
    video.gif
    Watch Obama discuss Kennedy's legacy »
    Sen. Hillary Clinton, who is also competing for the Democratic nomination, said Kennedy's courage and resolve made him one of the greatest legislators in Senate history.
    "He's a fighter. There isn't anybody like him who gets up and goes out and does battle on behalf of all of us every single day," Clinton said Thursday. "I know he's a fighter when it comes to the challenges he's facing right now."
    Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican who is the GOP's presumptive presidential nominee, also offered his thoughts and prayers for Kennedy's family.
    "I have described Ted Kennedy as the last lion in the Senate. And I have held that view because he remains the single most effective member of the Senate," McCain said from his campaign bus, the Straight Talk Express, in Florida.
    video.gif
    Watch McCain discuss Kennedy's contributions to the U.S. Senate »
    President Bush said in a statement that he was saddened by the news and would keep the senator in his prayers.
    "Laura and I are concerned to learn of our friend Sen. Kennedy's diagnosis. Ted Kennedy is a man of tremendous courage, remarkable strength and powerful spirit. Our thoughts are with Sen. Kennedy and his family during this difficult period," he said.
    Kennedy had surgery in October to clear his carotid artery in hopes of preventing a stroke. But, in recent days, the powerful Democrat appeared in fine health.
    On Friday, he took part in a ribbon-cutting ceremony for a maritime learning center in New Bedford, Massachusetts.
    He suffers chronic back pain from injuries suffered in a plane crash in 1964.
    interactive.gif
    Learn more about Kennedy »
    Kennedy is one of only six senators in U.S. history to serve more than 40 years. He is known as a liberal champion of social issues such as health care, family leave and the minimum wage.
    Venture Surplus ad

Moe Howard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    I guess I don't wish that on anyone but it ain't going to make me agree with, or even like the guy. I think he has done enough damage, I wanted him out of the senate but I would rather the people of Mass. would have had the good sense to vote him out years ago.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I feel sorry for him and his family. God knows his family has endured far too many tragedies over the past half a century. That being said, I absolutely hate his politics and dislike him in general, but I still wouldn't wish a tumor on anyone. You can bet though that, even if he steps down, someone of the "anti/liberal" persuasion will probably jump right up for him to pass the torch off to.

Cobra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    CANADA
    If I say what I really think, 1911 will make me go stand in the corner, sooooooo...................suffice it to say that it's unfortunate that that murdering SOB has made it this far.:D:D

Top Bottom