Texas SOT

Tell me about the Beretta Model 21A 22LR Bobcat.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    It does say they are made in the USA now.

I've only had one .22 that keyholed. A pre-1915 Stevens Model 44 falling block. It's bigger than a Favorite. This one doesn't have any rifling for the first 3" of barrel, so it's going to be relined and hopefully it will shoot again.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I got the new Covert version recently. I'm very disappointed. It didn't take me long to realize that it's more useful as a rock than a firearm.
    pix328288907.jpg

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I got the new Covert version recently. I'm very disappointed. It didn't take me long to realize that it's more useful as a rock than a firearm.
    View attachment 257456

That's disappointing. I thought about getting one of those, but settled for the LCP II instead. Hope they get around to making threaded barrels for the LCP II soon.

Also, we now know that .22lr pocket pistol isn't enough to stop a zombie thread.....

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    eb8d46ea953409e0f1d412995a736d5c.jpg

Much prefer this little mod 948 from 1955. Also have a 6in interchangeable barrel for it.
    Good little shooter.

Maybe some other brand/type of ammo for yours would make it perform a tad better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    I've had mine forever. I don't know that being an early model makes a difference
    I gave up on it a dozen times after I first acquired it.

Mine is very ammo sensitive. It has to be CCI, either Stingers or Mini-Mags. If I feed it right and keep it clean and lubed it's 100% dependable.

It lives in the safe though.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Looking to dump it?
    What kind of ammo are you putting through it ?
    [Edit: Just standard Winchester Wildcat - if a 22 pistol only has an appetite for ammo better than that, then I don't want it.]

Yep. I'll be dumping it. I didn't want to dump it here though - I consider all TGT members as friends, and I wouldn't screw a friend by selling them a rock.
    But if you're dead set on getting one, mine is GunBroker 901522681 (yes, I'm considering it new because I've only put one round through it)

Last edited:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    TipBledsoe,
    What don't you like about it? Size? Ergonomics?
    E
    [Edit: for those unaware, this pistol design has no extractor]

The grip panels could be thinner, otherwise I loved the size and ergonomics.
    The one round I shot failed to extract the case. Plus, the slide may not have slid at all; it didnt even try to load the next round.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    [Edit: Just standard Winchester Wildcat - if a 22 pistol only has an appetite for ammo better than that, then I don't want it.]

Yep. I'll be dumping it. I didn't want to dump it here though - I consider all TGT members as friends, and I wouldn't screw a friend by selling them a rock.
    But if you're dead set on getting one, mine is GunBroker 901522681 (yes, I'm considering it new because I've only put one round through it)
    You are doing better on GB with it I think. If the GB sale falls through, message me. My brother in law has one and his had issues with bulk .22 as well. ( Winchester wildcat pretty much sucks in every semi I have ever shot) but runs like a scalded chimp with MiniMag, Stinger and Velocitor. Runs well with the Blazer as well for practice.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I had one. I bought my son one about a year or so ago. I like em. As for ammo, that can depend on each individual gun. Try several brands/types and see which it likes but as I recall, the one had shot everything okay. Beretta = good quality as far as I am concerned.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I have never seen a 21 with a threaded barrel.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    My 21a is an INOX model. I bought it for $150, because it wasn't functional. The ejector pin had backed out into the channel of the slide and locked it up. After some modification to a tiny flat head screw driver, I got it pushed in enough to disassemble it. I just put some loctite on the pin and it seem to work well after that with mini mags. It's a fun little shooter.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

IF I was going to buy a "mouse gun" it would be one of the Beretta 81BB with a suppressor in .32ACP.
    (When we were stationed "way down yonder", we had an Kiwi NCO, who was "seconded" to our outfit & he had an 81 with a "build in suppressor" that was NO louder than a Daisy BB gun.)

VERY CLOSED MOUTH lad was he!!!!
    (Our DoS "agricultural advisor" told us TO NOT ASK TOO MANY NOSY QUESTIONS of Allied personnel & contractors, as we would be told if we "had the need to know" their mission.

Note: We had a SF SGT/E-5 on TDY to us for a spell who finally admitted that he was assigned TDY to our "Instructor's group" because the USASFS was HIDING him from a "seriously PO'ed COL, 0-6.")

yours, satx

Last edited:

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Over the years, I have had all four of the little Berettas. I had the .22 Short Minx with a Cobray threaded barrel and a sonics style suppressor. Extremely quiet! This gun was more reliable when suppressed than when not.

The .25acp Jetfire was more reliable, but I could not find a threaded barrel for it.

My first 21A in .22LR also was finicky regarding ammo and reliability. The one I have now, sports an aftermarket threaded barrel and is the quiets package I have.

My 3032 Tomcat also sports an aftermarket threaded barrel. It is not as quiet as I had hoped. I also have heard about cracked frames. I am afraid that with the extra weight of the can, combined with more back pressure mine might suffer a similar fate, so I picked up a model 81 recently.

After sending the 81 off for some work, I am looking forward to seeing how quiet it will be with my smaller 9mm can.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Over the years, I have had all four of the little Berettas. I had the .22 Short Minx with a Cobray threaded barrel and a sonics style suppressor. Extremely quiet! This gun was more reliable when suppressed than when not.

The .25acp Jetfire was more reliable, but I could not find a threaded barrel for it.

My first 21A in .22LR also was finicky regarding ammo and reliability. The one I have now, sports an aftermarket threaded barrel and is the quiets package I have.

My 3032 Tomcat also sports an aftermarket threaded barrel. It is not as quiet as I had hoped. I also have heard about cracked frames. I am afraid that with the extra weight of the can, combined with more back pressure mine might suffer a similar fate, so I picked up a model 81 recently.

After sending the 81 off for some work, I am looking forward to seeing how quiet it will be with my smaller 9mm can.

justmax,

As I've said elsewhere, IF I was going to go for a suppressed handgun, it would be a BERETTA Model 81BB with the BUILT-IN suppressor in .32ACP.
    (I've shot one of those In South America & it's DEADLY ACCURATE at 25M & as QUIET as a Daisy RED RYDER BB gun.)

yours, satx
    USA, Retired

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I would like a pre WWII Tomcat or equivalent. My dad carried one in the war and it got stolen later. He carried it when "not under arms" in areas that we had secured like Paris, and Sicily etc. He took it from a wehrmacht officer in North Africa.

Top Bottom