Patriot Mobile

Tell me about the Beretta Model 21A 22LR Bobcat.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Yeah so sue me.....I like mouse guns. :roflfunny:

Sheeesh......these things must be popular as I can't find a N.I.B. even on GB.

Favorite ammo?
    Mags available?
    Do they hold up to use?

I looked at the .32 version. Ammo too $$$ to play with. Besides, the Seecamp would get jealous. :)
    Venture Surplus ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No help here.

My sister has the Tomcat (.32), would t mind it for a pocket gun but not much to hold on to.

Good luck in your hunt.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    I have the Tomcat and the 25 ACP (think it's the Jetfire). Had them both for a long time. Wish I could help.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I like mine... not a target gun, but runs fine and hits where I point (not much there to AIM with).

My wife thinks it's "cute".

B21Al.gif

CrankyBuddha

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I have had one for over 20 years, It has shot well and it has not been particularly finicky when it came to ammo which is a near miracle compared to other .22 semi-autos. Whenever we go to the range it is consistently one of my family's favorite shooters. My son learned to shoot with the 21a because I could load it and run it as a single shot. It is not a target pistol. The sights are horrible but if you want a target gun get a buck mark.

It was my carry gun for years and years.

With the newer .380 and 9mm mouse guns it is no longer my first choice for carry. The Ruger LCP weighs less and carries a similar number of more powerful rounds. However, I will say that the LCP is pretty dang snappy (I call it the noisy cricket) while I can dump a whole mag out of the 21a with ease and on target. When I carried I loaded it with CCI MiniMags and alternated hollow points and round nose rounds. The idea was that if the target was wearing heavier clothes the HP might not have enough force to penetrate properly but a RN would. That was my theory anyway.

The Israeli Mossad carried these and similar handguns for deep concealment and assassination. The .22 is plenty lethal with proper bullet placement, it is common even in Europe and doesn't make much noise compared to most centerfire cartridges.

After all those years of shooting and some neglect on my part min is in need of some repairs which will cost almost what the gun did but I will probably still shell it out because it is one of my favorites.

-Cranky

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had one but traded it off. As I recall, it doesn't have a mechanical extractor. Residual pressure in the chamber and barrel blow out the fired case. I'll check that out and correct if necessary. EDIT....correct!

Unfortunately, the lack of mechanical extractor makes the pistol a bit fussy with ammo. I never noted that myself. CCI full power loads are noted to be reliable in the pistol.

The tip up barrel makes it easy for a smaller person to load or unload because they don't need to rack the slide back.

The .32 Tomcats were reported to have cracks in the frame. That could be Internet BS as my ex-lady has a Tomcat and has had zero problems with it.

Flash

Last edited:

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    Next time I see one of these used at a gun show (for a decent price) I'm going to snap it up. Load it up with some CCI stingers and keep it somewhere convenient to grab when I'm out the door to walk the dogs, run to the store, etc.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    I just bought the one that was listed on here for sale and got some rounds through it this weekend. Federal American Eagle ammo was crap in this gun (not to mention they were sold in 40 round boxes). Gun just would not chamber up the next round. Ran through a few mags of CCI Tactical 22 shells since I also had those. Had a few stovepipes but it was with my daughter and her friend (8 years old) so pretty certain there was a little limp wrist involved.

I will say that little pistol was LOUD. It caught me off guard my first shot...

barhob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    new braunfels
    mine likes only the highest velocity 22 ammo. trigger guard is not friendly. sometimes will fail to feed and eject. only a fun gun. do not bet your life on it. leave one round out of the mag for reliable feed before you load into tipped barrel.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Mine is fun to shoot; short on accuracy but high on the fun factor.

It shoots minute of phone book at 5 yards, and the action is slick as snot.

That alone will keep it in the stable until my estate is sold off when I die.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Evidently these little guys are very popular.
    I was in San Antonio over the weekend.
    Checked a few shops and no one had any. Found really beat up one in .25 but passed.
    Will keep looking.

CrankyBuddha

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Houston, TX
    mine likes only the highest velocity 22 ammo. trigger guard is not friendly. sometimes will fail to feed and eject. only a fun gun. do not bet your life on it. leave one round out of the mag for reliable feed before you load into tipped barrel.

Watch the slide when you are shooting. Mine was 100% reliable for years but I started to have issues recently. I think it may be an issue with the slide or guide rails. I can actually see the slide arcing a bit instead of coming straight back. The gun no longer disassembles properly.

I need to take it into a gunsmith but haven't had a chance yet. It would probably be cheaper to replace it but it was the first gun I ever purchased.

-Cranky

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've got one and a buddy has one, too... They both need to be fed CCI minimags to be reliable. Magazines are available. I think the last place I bought a mag for it was Midway. It's held up well so far. I like giving it to new shooters to try out because everyone thinks it's "cute."

I have a Tomcat as well... I really like the Tomcat, but don't shoot it much because .32 is pricey. It's also pointless since I have a couple .380s that are the same size and the Sig 938 is not much bigger. Obviously I'm a mouse gun fan, too. :green:

erratadata

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    NW SAN Antonio
    I saw a few at the Premier gun show last weekend. I have a .22 short version, I think they called it the Minx. I keep it loaded in the safe, and grab it if I'm just running out to the corner store and don't want to get fully dressed. I've never had a malfunction with it, and I still shoot it regularly at the range. I'm not terribly accurate with it because of the short sight radius, but you know the old saying: "The .22 in your pocket is far more effective than the .45 you left at home". Biggest problem is finding ammo. Last time I found any was at Nagel's for $6.08 a box. I passed. I would like a Tomcat when I can find one and have cash in pocket.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I don't have any experience with one, but Taurus has a small .22 auto. http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/22BR_01.jpg
    I saw several at the Nacogdoches gun show for around $200+. The MSRP is $282.00

Had one. Typical Taurus junk.
    Worked fine for about 400rds.
    Firing pin broke. Sent back to Taurus for repair. Never worked right after that. Jammed constantly.
    At about round 600 it started keyholing bullets 30ft.
    Junk.

Top Bottom