• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwwPlayboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2015
    I Have my grandaddy's model 99 savage in a 300 savage. It is my favorite hand me down rifle. I was cleaning it today and realized I don't know very much about it...age wise. I did some searching on the net with the serial number. Found a forum that talked about the lever boss code and to match up the letter to your gun and that would be the year. Well, from what I can see, where one would find the lever boss code, all I found was a number inside what looks like a half circle. I can't find information on that.

I have no intention of selling this gun but I would like to know how old it is.

Serial number is 781xxx. And I posted a picture of the lever boss code.

Appriciate the help.. image.jpg
    DK Firearms

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Post up some pics of the entire rifle.
    Many different variations.
    Rough guess on serial#/year made = mid-1950's
    Please include pics of barrel stampings, forearm, top of receiver at both ends of the bolt, and safety selector(on lever or top tang).

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Appears to be an "F" model. F = featherweight
    Barrel should measure 22" in length.
    Buttplate should be corrugated steel.
    Should NOT have sling swivels.

Should say Model 99-F on right side of barrel.
    Introduced 1955 @ serial# 750,000 so yours would be close after that. My Savage 99 book doesn't give exact dates on serial's.
    Look on the top of the receiver where the front scope ring is mounted. Can you see Savage Model 99 stamping or is it covered by the scope mount?
    This tells you if the rifle came from factory drilled and tapped for scope mount. If it was the Model 99 will be off the center top of the receiver.
    In 1960 they moved the safety from the lever up to on top of the upper receiver tang.

Looks to be a Stith scope mount.

Classic 1950's hunting rifle.
    She looks great!
    Shoot her with pride.

Thanks for posting pics.

SwwPlayboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2015
    I will do some further inspection tomorrow to see if it was factory drilled. Thank you so much for the information

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The Savage 99 was a great design that came out at an awkward time (as bolt actions and heavier cartridges became popular) and never caught on quite like the Winchester. I've got my grandfather's 99 (marked 1899) and it's a great shooter. The rotary magazine makes it possible to use a variety of bullets that you normally won't find on the tubular magazine lever actions.

There's a pretty good web site for catalogs, manuals, and other info: www.savage99.com.

Top Bottom