• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RangeMasterTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Texas
    Just thought I would try to get a list going of all the ranges in Texas.So tell us about your range-where it is what they do how much it cost. Just the basics.
    Guns International

TexasT/A

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Amarillo
    Municipal Range- $10 for 4 hours (I've yet to see anyone have to pay for more time), open Thurs-Sun. The other days are reserved for LEO use.

Pistol range- 7-25 yards (I think)
    Rifle Ranges- 100 yards and 250 yards

Thats the only range I go to. I prefer to go shooting on my buddy's land though.

carney

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2008
    Outside DFW metromess.
    www.tacproshootingcenter.com

Definately one of the better ranges as far as rifles are concerned.
    Fees are (If I remember correctly)
    $15 all ranges all day for non members
    $10 for Officer's and Members
    The 1000 yd range is available to member's only (you must attend a 1000yd qualifier course to shoot on the 1000 yd range however).
    There is two open 50yd ranges, one with steel plates for pistols, there is a 25 yd range with a covered shooting area and a classroom attached. There is also a 100 yd range and 200 yd range with several covered benches.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Not commercial, but it is mine. With the help of friends, I built my range in Montague County. It includes a 100 yard multi-use range that is nearly totally enclosed (built in an arroyo), a 270 degree CQB range in a bend further up the arroyo, and an above ground 400 yard rifle range.

Costs are outlandish, but I shoot what I want, when I want, and how I want. For what doesn't cost me in actual money ends up costing me in time.

It is nicely shaded in the summer.

Here is a tour video I put together for a buddy helping me with a match. It is probably best viewed with the audio off. ;) You can tell I don't do voice overs for National Geographic.

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Municipal Range- $10 for 4 hours (I've yet to see anyone have to pay for more time), open Thurs-Sun. The other days are reserved for LEO use.

Pistol range- 7-25 yards (I think)
    Rifle Ranges- 100 yards and 250 yards

Thats the only range I go to. I prefer to go shooting on my buddy's land though.

Where's this range at? I haven't lived in the Amarillo area in about 12 years but moving back to the area (Sanford) this weekend.

I usually shoot at Lake Meredith Gun Club (Sanford) when I'm home and sometimes Gunslingers (Amarillo). Thanks

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I like Red's Indoor Shooting Range. It's relatively close to me, I've never had any problems there, and the guys that work the range on weekends are a good group of guys. :) I don't usually go during the week, so I'm not too familiar with the guys working there during the week. It's a typical 0-100yd indoor range and gun store. The great thing about them is they are open from 9am-9pm 7 days a week, which is much more convenient then some ranges. I haven't been to the one up north in Pflugerville though, just the one off 290 in Austin. Here's their info:

6200 Highway 290 West, Austin, Texas
    (512) 892-4867 [Voice]
    (512) 892-4391 [Fax]

Oops, almost forgot. Range fee is $14 per hour, gun rentals are $8 per gun.

RangeMasterTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks folks keep 'em coming.I neglected to post mine.Abilene gun club north rangeopen to the public sat&sun $10 a day per couple kids under 18 free with adult.membership was $75 a year before I retired but I don't think its changed. covers you your spouse and kids. you get the combo to the gate and can come and go as you please 7 days a week as long as its light. has a covered range 25-200 yds and open top walled ranges to 25yds. located 3 miles north of hwy351 on east lake rd in abilene tx.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Some information about the various gun ranges in the state that I have visited...

Garland Public Shooting Range Garland
    • 50/100 yard rifle benches
    • 50 yard outdoor pistol range
    • Pull-it-yourself clay throwers for shotguns
    • Small gun shop
    • Gun rental (very limited selection)
    • CHL classes
    $10 lifetime membership + $10/day, all day.

Nice people that run the place. No FMJ ammunition on rifle range.

This range has been around for decades, but the yuppies in the much newer nearby tract homes are predictably complaining about it just like fools that moved into the land under the future approaches to the planned additional runways at DFW airport. I expect the pressure from the homeowners and plans to convert the landfill site behind the backstop into a park will either kill it off or force measures like Elm Fork used to have on order to prevent even the possibility of overshooting the backstop.

Bass Pro Shops Grapevine
    • 50' indoor pistol range (7 lanes)
    • 100 yard rifle tube
    • Huge gun section
    • Gunsmith
    • CHL classes
    $8/hour for pistols, $9/hour for the rifle tube.

Best indoor pistol range in DFW that I've been to. Beware that with just seven lanes there can be a wait, and it's a rare day that all seven lanes are open. Call in advance to reserve the single rifle tube - it's almost never available whenever I've just walked in. If the place isn't crowded, you can typically shoot pistols for more than an hour without protest from the range officer.

Elm Fork Irving
    • 50/100 yard rifle range (under re-construction)
    • 25 yard rimfire rifle range
    • 25 yard pistol range (target stands, and some steel plate ranges)
    • A staggering variety of shotgun ranges that I've never visited
    This range is located in flood plain and was essentially unusable for the first half of 2007 due to repeated flooding, which seems to have resulted in it changing ownership to the same people that run the (previously-separate) shotgun range.

The rifle range used to be fairly unusual in that there were tubes through an intermediate berm that you shot through and horizontal boards over the shooting benches that left approximately 12" of clearance over the bench (to prevent shooting over the backstop, evidently). As a result of the reconstruction, the intermediate bern looks to be gone, although construction has not finished on the rifle range.

Historically, this place used to be exceptionally picky about ammunition. FMJ rifle ammunition is prohibited, as is anything else that attracts a magnet (guess they don't seem to realize that steel-core ammunition has been banned from import for decades).

Target Master Garland
    • 25 yard indoor pistol range (18 lanes)
    • 50 yard indoor rifle range (6 lanes)
    • Gun shop
    • Gun rentals
    $15 to use the range.

This place seems a bit run down, poorly-maintained, and pricey. I just did not care for the place the one time I went.

Bullet Trap Plano
    • 25 yard indoor pistol range (18 lanes)
    • 25 yard indoor rifle range (2 lanes)
    • Gun shop
    • Gun rentals (huge selection of handguns)
    • CHL classes
    $17.99 to use the range.

Similar to Target Master in many respects, although better maintained. The rifle range is ... not really something I recommend.

Evans Brothers Guns Huntington (near Lufkin)
    • 40 yard pistol range (15 lanes)
    • 100, 200, 300 yard rifle range
    • Planned trap range
    • Gun shop
    • Gun rentals
    • CHL classes
    $6.50 for one gun, $8.50 for two or more guns (pricing per person).

Evans Brothers is relatively new and still expanding/building their range. The 100 yard rifle range is mostly complete; some 200/300 yard benches are present, but not covered, rarely used, and will probably be covered someday.

The pistol range has movable target stands, and they have a few spinner targets. If they're not busy and you're not a moron, you can shoot centerfire rifles offhand at the pistol range. I understand that they want to add a steel target range someday.

The trap range is being repeatedly delayed because of the almost-weekly rain since mid-2007. The soil in the area is evidently too soft to move heavy equipment around in, and they need to clear the land where their trap range is to be located before they can build it.

This place is very relaxed and typically a pleasant place to spend an afternoon.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    There are a number of DFW ranges that I have yet to visit, such as Alpine (in Arlington?), Dallas Pistol Club, Adrenaline Proving Grounds (I will probably take some basic classes there someday), and the place way north of Fort Worth to name a few.

I'd like to find some place close to Dallas that allows FMJ ammo, is not so worried about things like rapid fire (anything more than 1 rd/sec will get you unwanted range officer attention anywhere other than the place in Huntington), allows actual plinking, and is not frequented by morons apt to shoot you inadvertently.

Or just information about other ranges in the area that I've never been to. I'm in Irving, so closer is better.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Then you want Dallas Pistol Club. There is an initiation fee and yearly fee, but after that, you just show up and shoot.

It is a good organization. It is the only place I found that allowed for combat shooting practice (draw from holster, shoot on move, rapid fire, malfunction clearing, use of barricades, various shooting positions, etc.). Plus, FMJ is fine. The only problems are that there are no centerfire or black power long guns allowed (althought .22 lr rifles used to be allowed) and no shotguns except during the shotgun matches. It is only pistols.

Attend a match, even if you don't shoot it, and tour the facility. That is when the gates are unlocked and it is open to the public to see. The rest of the time, you need a combination.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm a member at Austin Rifle Club range in Manor. It has a yearly membership fee of $100. They have 6 different range setups. The first is a turning target pistol range with a few dozen positions. The second is a general plinking range for firing just about anything and it has about a dozen positions. There is a 100 yard centerfire range with about 25 positions and a 200 centerfire range with about 25 positions. Then there is the two rimfire silhouette ranges, with the last one setup for throwing skeet as well.

TexasT/A

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Amarillo
    Where's this range at? I haven't lived in the Amarillo area in about 12 years but moving back to the area (Sanford) this weekend.

I usually shoot at Lake Meredith Gun Club (Sanford) when I'm home and sometimes Gunslingers (Amarillo). Thanks

I live pretty close to Gunslingers, but I can't stand the people that run that place. If you're looking for a good gunshop, go to Pro Shooters (their address is 2412 Paramount Blvd). They've only been open for about a year, but they will beat anyone's prices, and they're just good people. I can't say enough good things about those guys.

Here's a link with directions to the city range: http://www.amarillopolice.org/shootingrange.htm

iwannasee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Mesquite, TX
    I live close to Gibson's Outpost in Mesquite. They have 10 and 25 yard pistol. 50, 100, and I think 200 yard rifle, all covered. Best of all, they allow FMJ!! Something like $7 membership for year and $10 range fee for all day. Open Tuesday through Sunday, 9-5:30. Close by so I frequent it.

100_1549.jpg

Didn't take many pics of range, but you get the idea.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Ranges

I go to a new indoor range here in Houston ,SHILOH SHOOTING RANGE.
    www.shilohshooting.com
    12703 Shiloh Church rd.
    Its not to far from Willowbrook mall off 1960.
    Steve,Jeff and Mack are great folks to deal with.
    They have CHL classes,tactical instruction and sell a variety of handguns.
    Very good air ventilation also.
    Dont remember prices because I go on thursdays for us over 50 crowd
    and its only $10.00 from 10 am to noon as many guns as you can carry.
    For long guns I go to HOT WELLS or CARTERS in Spring.

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Parker County Sportsman Club

http://www.parkersportsman.com/

A great private club range; only $70/year for an unlimited use family membership. You get a key to the facility and can shoot any time during daylight. We have two pistol and rimfire ranges, 100-yard and 275-yard rifle ranges, and a real nice trap and skeet facility. An outstanding value.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Elm Fork is the only one I've used as I'm new to range shooting. It's not that far, but I'd like to find some place closer.

It's a mess with all the construction, theirs and some major City of Dallas utility work going on, but the part of the range they have open is pretty nice and mostly the new stuff. I've only been a couple of times and each time the fact that they are under new ownership comes up on the range and they they will be incredible by next year when they get everything completed.

I heard there is/was one out closer to me at 1171 and I35W that was in danger of being closed due to road construction or something. There's another even closer, Denton County Sports off 407 in Copper Canyon that is indoor. I'd like to hear feedback on that one before I try them out.

Sounds like they don't have a lot of space, and pricing is by membership and I question the value. Elm Fork is $15 per and outside.

Greybeard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Southern Denton County
    I am the owner/operator the Denton County Sports Association indoor range referenced above, which some members refer to as "the best kept secret in Denton County". At least to our target niche of pistol shooters - primarily FFDOs (pilots), other flavors of LEOs and numerous local CHL people.

While we are not what some folks perceive that a gun range should be (all encompassing - rifles, shotguns, gun rentals, retail sales, etc), some "values" that many are willing to pay for are the facts that (1) we do not allow just anyone to show up and shoot and (2) independent draw and fire practice, including controlled rapid fire are allowed and encouraged for those with training. Details at www.dentoncountysports.com.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I am the owner/operator the Denton County Sports Association indoor range referenced above, which some members refer to as "the best kept secret in Denton County". At least to our target niche of pistol shooters - primarily FFDOs (pilots), other flavors of LEOs and numerous local CHL people.

While we are not what some folks perceive that a gun range should be (all encompassing - rifles, shotguns, gun rentals, retail sales, etc), some "values" that many are willing to pay for are the facts that (1) we do not allow just anyone to show up and shoot and (2) independent draw and fire practice, including controlled rapid fire are allowed and encouraged for those with training. Details at www.dentoncountysports.com.

Welcome on board Greybeard. Commercial posting is against the rules for future reference, but I like the sound of your range. :cool:

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom