• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    The technology we know as Bluetooth derives its name from Harald Bluetooth, a Viking king who passed away over a millennium ago. Just as he united factions of Denmark and Norway, Bluetooth technology unifies various electronic devices. The Bluetooth logo cleverly incorporates his initials, represented by the runic symbols for Hagall (*) and Bjarkan (B).

The origins of Harald Bluetooth's nickname remain a subject of debate. Some sources suggest that his fondness for blueberries resulted in permanently blue-stained teeth. Others speculate that he had a dark blue/grey-colored tooth, possibly due to decay.

20230519_150558~2.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The technology we know as Bluetooth derives its name from Harald Bluetooth, a Viking king who passed away over a millennium ago. Just as he united factions of Denmark and Norway, Bluetooth technology unifies various electronic devices. The Bluetooth logo cleverly incorporates his initials, represented by the runic symbols for Hagall (*) and Bjarkan (B).

The origins of Harald Bluetooth's nickname remain a subject of debate. Some sources suggest that his fondness for blueberries resulted in permanently blue-stained teeth. Others speculate that he had a dark blue/grey-colored tooth, possibly due to decay.

View attachment 388366

Monarchs had fun names back then.Harald Bluetooth. Magnus Barelegs. Malcolm Canmore, the Scottish king who Macbeth replaced? His last name means "Big Head". "Macbeth" means "Son Of Life", and he doesn't appear to have had any other name. Alfonso the Slobberer. Haakon the Crazy. And these were nicknames given back when an annoyed king could just have someone drawn and quartered for shits and giggles.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Monarchs had fun names back then.Harald Bluetooth. Magnus Barelegs. Malcolm Canmore, the Scottish king who Macbeth replaced? His last name means "Big Head". "Macbeth" means "Son Of Life", and he doesn't appear to have had any other name. Alfonso the Slobberer. Haakon the Crazy. And these were nicknames given back when an annoyed king could just have someone drawn and quartered for shits and giggles.
    Yeah, in Europe last names were often attributed to what they did, or 'son of' - 'daughter of'. Migrating to America, early on, it was often shortened because it was easier to write through immigration. My last name at one time had Mac, "son of", attached to it.

I often got kidded, when I was young, of having three first names.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yeah, in Europe last names were often attributed to what they did, or 'son of' - 'daughter of'. Migrating to America, early on, it was often shortened because it was easier to write through immigration. My last name at one time had Mac, "son of", attached to it.

I have 3 last names.
    Cam is short for Campbell.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The Campbells were major power players in Scotland from the 16th Century on. So much so that there are still some hard feelings all these centuries later. They were a Highland clan who gained major influence in the Lowlands and even in England to some extent, and had some very powerful individuals in key positions during some major historical events including the English Civil War (with a major role in deposing and executing Charles I) and the Restoration (with a major role in restoring the monarchy just a few years after it was destroyed).

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    IIRC, in Iceland your father's first name is your last name. I remember seeing a human interest piece decades ago about how complicated it could be to look up someone in a phone book.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    IIRC, in Iceland your father's first name is your last name. I remember seeing a human interest piece decades ago about how complicated it could be to look up someone in a phone book.

That's a holdover from old Scandinavian tradition. The freaky-weird music star Bjork is actually Björk Gudmundsdottir, daughter of Gudmundur Gunnarson, whose father it can be assumed was named Gunnar Somebody's-son. Her mother's name is Hilda Hauksdottir.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I had a friend I use to talk to on Facebook years ago that lives in Iceland, her last name Einarsdottir, of course meaning daughter of Einar. She was married, but I guess they don't always take the last name of the husband.

Top Bottom