• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    The vertical tail on every B-52 bomber...folds to the right.

View attachment 417392
    View attachment 417393

It takes about 2 hours with a crane and a huge jackscrew to do it, but it's necessary to do any work on the rudder. On older models with the taller tail fin, it was also used to fit the bombers into hangers for more extensive maintenance work.

View attachment 417402

Detail shot on a jackscrew tool with the tail fold area:

View attachment 417409

This is amazingly cool. I'm a verified aviation junkie and never knew this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Have you seen what U2 pilots eat in-flight?

Yep. Blackbird pilots used to eat the same thing - all through a tube into the helmet of their pressure suit. The Blackbird pilots had an advantage, though - at the speed they were flying, the canopy windows got so hot they could hold the tube of food against the window surface for a minute or so, then knead the tube before opening it and have a hot meal.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    I'm an aviation nut, particularly where the USAF is concerned. And I learned it literally 5 minutes before verifying, finding more photos, and posting the info here.
    I spent a while at. SAC base and never saw this - but we had G models with the shorter tail. Maybe that reduced the need to fold it, and it was the 80’s so maybe by then the hangers could take the height.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I spent a while at. SAC base and never saw this - but we had G models with the shorter tail. Maybe that reduced the need to fold it, and it was the 80’s so maybe by then the hangers could take the height.

Pretty sure one of the photos I posted is of an H model. Apparently it's a standard feature, and the fin has to be folded to remove and install the rudder.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The vertical tail on every B-52 bomber...folds to the right.
    so does the -135s.

It’s not just a Boeing thing, either.
    S-3 Vikings did it.
    7199b2684711ebdca2ac960bce2822f0.jpg

And on the Saab.
    599a2e634454c1c6493e4c839b5af478.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    so does the -135s.

It’s not just a Boeing thing, either.
    S-3 Vikings did it.
    7199b2684711ebdca2ac960bce2822f0.jpg

And on the Saab.
    599a2e634454c1c6493e4c839b5af478.jpg

Pretty sure it was a necessity on the S-3 because of low hangar deck clearances on some carriers. Didn't know the KC-135 had a folding fin.

The YF-12 (proposed interceptor predecessor of the SR-71) had a folding ventral fin that actually folded to the left when the landing gear were lowered so it wouldn't scrape the runway. It was required because putting a radome with a round cross section on the aircraft (for the fire control radar) instead of the sharp chines that go all the way to the nose on other Blackbird models created some instability.

In flight:
    yf-12 approach.jpg

YF-12-Blackbird-1.jpg
    YF-12 in flight.jpeg

And in this pic you can see it folded to the left under the fuselage.

YF-12 towed.jpeg

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    I think this originated in Europe. In old times, the most expensive graves were in the basement of churches. The closer to the pulpit, the more expensive the spot. Before they ran out of real-estate and started creating cemeteries outside of towns, people of average means were buried in the churchyard. The wealthy were buried in those expensive plots under the floor. Hence the term "stinking rich."

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

FOOD LABELS

Sucrose is the most common dietary Sugar, as in Cane Sugar or Beet Sugar.

There are some 20 or 21 sugars in our foods; from lactose in milk to fructose in orange juice.

All are turned into Glucose by our bodies shortly after eating. Also, our bodies turn Ethyl Alcohol into Glucose. Eventually. . . . .

Thanks to the ‘’Industry Lobbyists”; foods not containing Sucrose, but loaded with all the other Sugars, can be legally labeled as ‘Sugar Free” .

Sugars, per se, are a normal part of Human diets, and cause no particular problems when consumed in normal amounts as they occur in Nature.

But, “Added” Sugars, “Hidden” Sugars, and any large amount of Sugar from “processing’’ can cause massive problems.

Here is one article on this: https://www.verywellfit.com/different-names-for-sugar-2242526

Note that the “FDA” which is supposed to warn us and/or protect us from dangerous food products are the same ones which allow a certain amount of rat TURDS in our peanut butter !

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom