Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Norden bomb sights used human hair for at least part of the crosshairs that were a part of the (as I understand it, rather complex) reticle. I read a fascinating interview with an old woman who, as a young girl, was screened for the quality of her long hair as a part of the war effort. Neither she nor her parents understood but went along with it. When the government came back and asked her to donate her hair, there was no hesitation. After a wash and comb, she let her hair get chopped off right at the scalp. She didn't find out how her hair was used until well after the war.
    Guns International

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Norden bomb sights used human hair for at least part of the crosshairs that were a part of the (as I understand it, rather complex) reticle. I read a fascinating interview with an old woman who, as a young girl, was screened for the quality of her long hair as a part of the war effort. Neither she nor her parents understood but went along with it. When the government came back and asked her to donate her hair, there was no hesitation. After a wash and comb, she let her hair get chopped off right at the scalp. She didn't find out how her hair was used until well after the war.
    Was she blonde. Supposedly they used fine blonde hairs, which is where the references come from in measurements (though hopefully it’s not related to the term “just a c*nt hair”.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I only made the post about Norden V Sperry since I made a joke in another thread and I’m pretty sure nobody got it, lol.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    <>

A catchy song has had several “revivals” throughout much of the 20th Century.

”Hang on Sloopy” was a 1960’s revision of an earlier song which lamented the troubles of a REAL Jazz singer & musician, Dorothy Sloop “Sloopy” Heflick.

She was the heroine of all versions; died around 1990.

The song was never about a dog or a cartoon.

<>

I like that song and never thought it was about a dog or cartoon.

To me, the line....I don't care what your DADDY do....tells me it's about a woman.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    The Oldest Porte in the United Kingdom :

This oak door belonging to Westminster Abbey, London; England. It is the oldest and only Anglo-Saxon door in Great Britain. The door has been standing for over 950 years, dating back to the reign of Edward the Confessor during the 1050s AD. The door was made from a single oak tree from eastern England in medieval times. The oak piece has 5 main boards, connected by iron strips and wooden beams and is approx. 2m high.

There are rumors that traces of human skin remain on the door, but it has been proven to be bovine leather: (it turns out that many wooden artifacts were covered with leather to preserve the quality of the wood and to ornament the environment).

The door opens onto the large octagonal room where monks gathered every day for prayer in the 13th Century AD, and today serves as a storage place for important religious documents.

20240321_205446.jpg

Top Bottom