• BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    From my memoirs:
    Combine & Mark's dog
    At about age 18 or 19 (probably summer of 65), I was working for for Rhodes Morris, running a combine in Coleman County, cutting mostly wheat locally before we left for the Valley & the maize harvest. I was assigned a rather large model 55 John Deere with an extra wide (for the time) 17 ft header on it. Boss put me in a field that had an electric pole out in the wheat. He told me specifically to go cut around that pole first so that I wouldn't forget it later & knock the emptying auger off the combine, which I did. However, I managed to knock it off on something else (I can't remember what- should of written this sooner). SOoo, I was pretty much finished for the day, but the bosses had just taken delivery of a JD 45 - a much smaller machine & they wanted to try it out that night by cutting a patch of barley for my Uncle Mark. I was to be the driver - I guess Rhodes wanted to restore my confidence after I had thrashed a thresher earlier that day. Mark rode with me -he wanted to see how the little machine would cut.
    Mark had an old dog that followed him everywhere. As we cut barley that night, that dog was right beside us. He'd jump up a rabbit every once in a while but he'd always come back to stay close to Mark.
    I was trying to keep the header absolutely full & not miss any grain (to impress my uncle with my cutting skills) so my complete attention was on the outside edge of the header. The dog ran in front of the combine & hit some really thick grain which kept him from escaping the combine. The reel picked him up, probably instantly cutting off a couple of legs. Horrible screaming, dog being augured from the outside edge of the header toward the center where the elevator belt was. I watched him make a couple of revolutions around the header auger before I unfroze & hit the header button (cutter kill switch). Mark immediately hit the switch turning the cutter back on, stating effectively, "hell go ahead & run him on thru now, he's gone." Bad times.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I can't find the cite, but according to Cousin Brucie, the first use of the lyric "Doo Wop" in a Doo Wop song was by The Turbans in their 1955-56 song "When You Dance". Only got up to #33 on the hit parade. They re-recorded it in 1961. Only got up to #114 that time.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Apparently cousin Brucie was incorrect, the lyrics "doo wop" were used by the Clovers in Good Lovin in 1953.

Wikipedia also says it was used as early as 1945 by The Delta Rhythm Boys' in "Just A-Sittin' And A-Rocking" but I listened to that song and could not make it out with certainty (of course my hearing is not as good as when I was 20).

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Apparently cousin Brucie was incorrect, the lyrics "doo wop" were used by the Clovers in Good Lovin in 1953.

Wikipedia also says it was used as early as 1945 by The Delta Rhythm Boys' in "Just A-Sittin' And A-Rocking" but I listened to that song and could not make it out with certainty (of course my hearing is not as good as when I was 20).

Dang It! Thanks (I think).

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    ac4ad81bf0a250aee88f6904fb0c2c6e.jpg

Attachments

• ac4ad81bf0a250aee88f6904fb0c2c6e.jpg
      ac4ad81bf0a250aee88f6904fb0c2c6e.jpg
      61.1 KB · Views: 491

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    In the late 50s,the peak of neighbors barn was 2 ea 2x6 lengthwise about 60 ft. & they were braced at the bottom with a 3rd 2x6 so that the entire length of the roof-top frame consisted of a ~4x4x4 triangle. Rats had gnawed rat-sized holes every so often for in & out, so they owned that 60 ft long triangular tunnel. We'd get up in the loft at night & find a rat in the tunnel. Stabbing thru the gap between 2x6s, we'd pin him with one icepick and multi-stab him with a 2nd icepick. Lotssa blood. No serial killers in the family (so far).

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Japan is set to be the largest user of the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter, with plans to purchase 147 F-35A and F-35B aircraft. The largest user, of course, will be the US military with a mix of F-35A (USAF), F-35B (USMC) and F-35C (US Navy) aircraft totaling 3,443 examples, and the #3 user will be the UK with 137.

20161015_135445.jpg

Top Bottom