• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    <>

The similar size cities of Bastrop LA & Bastrop TX are some 460 highway miles apart, both were named after the late “French” explorer & Impresario, Count “Henri” de Bastrop.

Seems he wasn’t really either a Baron nor French, but an escaped Dutch embezzler, who used many aliases.

In the present, the pronunciation of “Bastrop” is an item of great argument between citizens of both cities; with both sides mangling the word.

see: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bastrop-baron-de

Since the name was surely fictitious & supposedly “French”, the actual pronunciation should sound something like “Bez trO”, not like either modern iteration.

Didju know this ?

leVieux

<>
    Gun Zone Deals

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is waaay over my head. I have used church keys to open steel beer cans, but I was never tempted to use one as a coat hanger.
    <>

The myth was that one could never find one, although having several at prior bedtime, by the next day they had all disappeared but there were plenty coathangers in a nearby closet.

Thusly, it was long suspected that the Church Keys had morphed into coat hangers while everyone slept.

?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I drove a 1/2 ton work truck with their diesel conversion around 1982 or 1983 and it was a 350 v8 that GMC decided to "convert". I would drive from Sherman to warehouses in Dallas though I'd have to add 2+ quarts of oil after every trip. Looking under the hood was a mess since it was just blowing oil from every gasket.
    <>

Mine was an actual Detroit Diesel. It made phenomenal mileage & never burned oil. Acceleration wasn’t particularly “spirited”, but it had plenty torque.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    THE EARLY CONVERTED DISELS WERE OLDS MOBILE 350 ENGINES AS A DIESEL ENGINE THEY WERE PURE JUNKLOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH THEM!

The 5.7 was the converted gasoline block made into a diesel for the early cars.

The 6.2, 6.5, 6.5 Turbo were never gasoline engines to start and were a Detroit/GM partnership used in Blazers and pick up trucks. Also the AMG Humvee

Last edited:

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    THE EARLY CONVERTED DISELS WERE OLDS MOBILE 350 ENGINES AS A DIESEL ENGINE THEY WERE PURE JUNKLOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH THEM!
    My neighbors must have gotten an anomaly. They drove the snot out of their Olds and had a little under 500,000 miles on it when they were hit and had the car totaled.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My neighbors must have gotten an anomaly. They drove the snot out of their Olds and had a little under 500,000 miles on it when they were hit and had the car totaled.
    YES AN ANOMALY MOST WERE JUNK BEFORE THE GOT 50K ON THEM THE BLOCK WAS JUST NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO BE A DIESEL ENGINE AND LAST FOR VERY LONGBUT THOSE ENGINES WERE GREATAS GASOLINE ENGIN WITH LARGE CUBIC INCHES AND HIGH HORSEPOWER BECAUSE THEY HAD A MUCH IMPOVED LOWER END THAN TYPICAL 350 GASOLINE OLDSMOBILE ENGINES

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A friend of mine had one of those for a while, lol.
    <>

You are correct, & I fixed it. It was a normally-aspirated 6.2L

My GMC’s both before & afterwards were with the gas engines, mostly the 350cid ones.

Back in those days, factory options were extremely limited, so new pickups had to be altered with new wheels, tires, spare racks, additional fuel tankage, shocks, gauges, “rustproofing”, etc.

JEEP had the renegade packages, and more options,but one had to be knowledgeable to order them from factory, b/c the dealers didn’t even know unless the customer asked specifically.

Then in 1987 GMC began offering the “Z71” packages on ‘88 models, which changed everything. I had the very first Z71 in Louisiana, but when we moved back to Texas a few months later, the Z71’s were all over.

I recall around 1975, watching a TV interview of a General Motors “Light Truck Division Head”. That genius pontificated that the 4WD segment of the US pickup truck market might approach 3.5% or 4%; but would eventually stabilize at fewer than 2% long-term. I remember thinking “This guy is a complete MORON; everyone I know wants a 4WD.”. The rest of the “Biig 3” were the same. Then the Z71 shook their World, and it’s never been the same.

leVieux

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

You are correct, & I fixed it. It was a normally-aspirated 6.2L

My GMC’s both before & afterwards were with the gas engines, mostly the 350cid ones.

Back in those days, factory options were extremely limited, so new pickups had to be altered with new wheels, tires, spare racks, additional fuel tankage, shocks, gauges, “rustproofing”, etc.

JEEP had the renegade packages, and more options,but one had to be knowledgeable to order them from factory, b/c the dealers didn’t even know unless the customer asked specifically.

Then in 1987 GMC began offering the “Z71” packages on ‘88 models, which changed everything. I had the very first Z71 in Louisiana, but when we moved back to Texas a few months later, the Z71’s were all over.

I recall around 1975, watching a TV interview of a General Motors “Light Truck Division Head”. That genius pontificated that the 4WD segment of the US pickup truck market might approach 3.5% or 4%; but would eventually stabilize at fewer than 2% long-term. I remember thinking “This guy is a complete MORON; everyone I know wants a 4WD.”. The rest of the “Biig 3” were the same. Then the Z71 shook their World, and it’s never been the same.

leVieux
    THE Z-72 PACKAGE WAS NOTING MORE THAN SONE HEAVIER DUTY SHOCKS AND SOME THIN SKID PLATES UNDERNEAT AND SOME DECALS ON THE BED-SIDES!

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    <>

”Church Keys”

During the post-‘war era, when beer cans required steel-top piercing “beer can openers”; during the night times, the openers often turned into coat hangers via “molting”.

My Dad’s crew often complained about finding their homes filled with wire coat hangers, but not a can opener could be found.

In the old Texas of yore, the problem was even worse, as the “Blue Laws” prohibited sale of both beer and beer can openers on Sundays, the days of choice for picnics & beach trips.

When I first lived in Texas over a half-century back, one early lesson to learn was to make certain that one had both adequate beer and beer can openers, also known as “Church Keys”, by Saturday afternoon, every week.

leVieux

<>
    I worked at a radio station in Houston around 1968. Announcer mentioned "church key" on the air and was fired immediately. I never understood the blasphemy in that.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The word carabiner entered English some time around 1915, during World War I. The word ultimately has its roots in the German word Karabinerhaken, meaning “carbine hook”—a hook used to connect a soldier's carbine (a type of rifle) to a strap. In English, the word was shortened to carabiner.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I love chopsticks and use 'em all the time, even for non-Asian meals.

Plus, having cheap, disposable chopsticks around the house is amazingly useful. They get used as all sorts of disposable, improvised tools.
    I'm an elevator repair tech. All of the older techs I've worked with carried chop sticks in their front shirt pocket.

They are non conductive, and would use them to push in relays on the controllers. And sometimes you could wedge the chopstick in a relay keeping it from pulling in when energized, most common technique to remove a speed relay and the elevator would run slower.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    <>

BOUDIN

En France, typical boudin is made from butcher’s waste. It is considered ‘’trash food’’, & is often fed to pet dogs.

In Lousiana & S E Texas, our boudin is made from select packinghouse pork and locally-grown rice; is considered a delicacy.

I’ve had French visitors refuse to even taste our boudin, based on its reputation in France.

BTW, there is no ‘’DAN’’ in the word BOUDIN, and there is no ‘’DAN’’ in its prononciation. Nor is there any ‘’A‘’ in its spelling.

leVieux

<>

Dinoble1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2016
    Southeast FL
    BTW, there is no ‘’DAN’’ in the word BOUDIN, and there is no ‘’DAN’’ in its prononciation. Nor is there any ‘’A‘’ in its spelling.

leVieux

Merci beaucoup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinoble1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2016
    Southeast FL
    IMG_4632.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom