• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    So I was up at the pawn shop today picking up a weedeater and I decided to have a look in the gun case. I only glanced at it breifly but a Colt Army Special 38 somewhat caught my attention as I have all the dies for it (the guy I bought my press from included them). I did a quick search online for them and most people seem to be listing at least 550 for these. Called the pawn shop to get a date and got a serial to look up. If I'm looking at this correctly this is a 1915. Looked like it had heavy holster wear but no noticeable rust, then again I didn't get it out of the case. They have it listed $399, and I might be able to talk em down from there. If this turns out to be in good condition (I've looked up what I need to look for buying a used revolver) is that a good deal? In addition how hard are the components for 38spc to find?
    Lynx Defense

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I have a lot of old revolvers. Mostly old Weblys, but I do have a S&W .38 special hand eject from 1932. It's pretty hard to find parts or even to find someone to work on them. Even so, if it's in good condition I'd personally pick it up. I've had my S&W for like 7 years. Shoot it a lot and I have never had a problem. I have a lot of milsurps and old weapons like the revolver, and if you keep it clean it will last. If you decide you don't want it, maybe you could PM your good friend mikeinhistory and let him know where to look.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Hmmm well I'll think about how much my pocketbook will hate me if I put it on layaway and if it says ouch too loud I'll PM you : P And idea how hard to components are to source? Looks like my reloading book says I can use my 231 on 125gr 135gr and 145gr lead.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Reloading I would imagine is pretty easy for it, I just meant in the even something broke or if something was wrong with it that wasn't readily apparent. It's pretty hard to find actual parts for some old guns. I've never looked for any Colt stuff before. With my S&W its not impossible, but some of my Weblys if the firing pin ever broke it would be a display gun forever more. Check out ebay/ amazon or some collector forums and see if people sell parts for it. If they do then they are findable, if you don't easily find them it might turn out to be a difficult thing to do.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    The Colt Army Special is a solid revolver that was later developed into the Colt Official Police revolver. I also enjoy the older revolvers as well. Parts of an Army Special are still around. Reloading for the 38 special is fairly straight forward.

Great classic revolver there. You you have fun with it.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Well since Mike has passed on it I figured I'd make it public so its fair game (as long as it isn't gone). Its sitting up at Texas Pawn and Jewelry in Hutto just on the N side of 79 at the corner of 1660. I'd call ahead to make sure they still have it sitting there, who knows.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Dang, that's a pretty good price if it's in decent shape. I wish Hutto was closer than a two-hour drive as I'd like to check it out. I love old Colt revolvers!

Cheers! M2

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Feb 25, 2013
    i just bought one of these today.. see if you can find the thread .. i'll call it .. "Bought an old Colt Army spl today." .. i love the old guns .. the one i bought was mfg (checked the serial number its 475XXX shows a 1920 date of mfg).. funny a lot like the OP here, but mine was cheaper.. guessing a lot less blue.. ok.. i'm off to start a thread..

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom