• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I like to check academy's website to look at guns and check whats on sale. Right now a S&W Shield 9mm black or FDE, is $360 reg $390, at academy. I see some places have models with a thumb safety even cheaper, buds has a really cheap one... But I don't quite like that.

I've been wanting to look into getting my CHL and have been looking for a gun that I could use for that... or get a 1911. I'll need to make sure I like the gun though. Last time I held it, I thought the grip was kinda sharp. Still haven't even shot my first and only so far gun that much. I already liked the price of it before, but it just got sweeter.

I remember the clerk telling me how he bought a S&W SD and hated the trigger. From pictures, it looks like that trigger is on Shields, M&P, M&P 2.0. Even found a video online of a person having issues with it, because the safety wouldn't disengage.

Black or FDE for CHL? Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Higgins909
    ARJ Defense ad

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I've seen them go on sale for as little as $299 before. Check around. You should be able to beat the $360 price depending on which model / features it is.

Grab A Gun or Crazy Gun Dealer usually have good prices on items if you're around North Texas.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I paid $369 for a FDE non-safety Shield 9 not too long ago. It's an Academy exclusive.

Then I picked up a black Shield 9 from GrabAGun for $315. I believe they're $299 now.

For a carry gun, I think it's near perfect. I like the 8 round magazine, more gripping area. Plenty of holster options, and parts available. People complain about the stock trigger, but I shoot it great. My only addition has been a rubberized Talon grip on both.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If you want to wait a month or so, S&W is coming out with the Shield 2.0. Has a few refinements like a better trigger, grips, and some other things, so I've heard.

ETA: I just saw that Brownell's has them for pre-order. A little pricey at $450 tho. And looks like it only comes with one magazine.

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    My EDC is a 9mm Shield. With the 8 round magazine the grip works perfectly for me and it carries easily. Bozz is correct though that you may want to hold out for the 2.0 at this point.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Were I you, I would definitely shoot the gun you want to consider before purchasing it, if possible. Bud's is great to buy from. They have good prices and will ship out immediately. If you don't know or have an FFL you use, Bud's has a list of the FFLs in the area and can recommend someone.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Were I you, I would definitely shoot the gun you want to consider before purchasing it, if possible. Bud's is great to buy from. They have good prices and will ship out immediately. If you don't know or have an FFL you use, Bud's has a list of the FFLs in the area and can recommend someone.
    This ^^^ I tell everyone, especially those wanting to carry. IMO picking them up, imagining how it would fit you, and if at all possible, shoot it. Get a gun that fits you and feels good to you. Cost is always secondary to me as far as that goes.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Went to reds today, rented one. Had the extended mag, 8 rnd, and a black front sight. Idk if it was missing the white bit or just dirty. I'm just gunna go with I suck and I didn't bring masking tape to cover up old shots. I can kinda figure out how to aim it, then its like I'm missing again, but I'm going to save that topic for my range thread. I found with thumbs forward my trigger finger would hit them, had to get the grip just right. It was on the smaller side compared to my glock 17 with large beavertail. Was also more gap between the front and rear sights, then my glock 17.(skinny) Not sure whats up with that, considering the glock is longer. Should I expect all compact guns to have a smaller grip like that? I think the recoil for a small gun like that was pretty good. Quite comfortable, may rival my glock. Didn't have any kind of issue with the trigger safety. Think it was a no slide safety gun too.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I didn't buy it yet, thinking about going back tomorrow. The model I want doesn't have a thumb safety, but not sure if the model on sale has it. That 2nd gun is following pretty quick after the first gun, like I was told. Think it's been a smide over a month.:D
    cadfe1d4506aaf097045914649af6e81--mp-shield-smith--wesson-mp.jpg
    10198331.jpg

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If it's for concealed carry, what does the color matter? It could be pink and no one's gonna see it unless things get ugly.

Go with whatever you like. If you're undecided, go with the rare color in case you decide to sell it later. Limited edition type stuff can sometimes bring more value down the road. Not gonna make you rich, but an extra $20 - $50 might be nice if the demand is there. If it's not, then no loss.

Top Bottom