• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    If it's for concealed carry, what does the color matter? It could be pink and no one's gonna see it unless things get ugly.

Go with whatever you like. If you're undecided, go with the rare color in case you decide to sell it later. Limited edition type stuff can sometimes bring more value down the road. Not gonna make you rich, but an extra $20 - $50 might be nice if the demand is there. If it's not, then no loss.
    But black is the scary color.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I carried a shield for about a year when I was living in PA. Forget what I traded it for but I wish I still had it

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    So I just stopped by the academy in denton. The sales guy told me that tomorrow they have 10% off you total order so you might want to get it tomorrow. I am grabbing the FDE one tomorrow morning. 10% off + 75$ gift card is awesome. Plus I dont mind spending money at my local academy. Good people that work there at the denton store

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Did you get it? I'm planing to go a little later when its less crowded. (antisocial) There was a placard that also said you get some S&W related items. The picture showed a bag, glasses, ears, and something else if I remember right. I'm still trying to decide on a color.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Did you get it? I'm planing to go a little later when its less crowded. (antisocial) There was a placard that also said you get some S&W related items. The picture showed a bag, glasses, ears, and something else if I remember right. I'm still trying to decide on a color.

Yep I went out and got the FDE one. After the discount and considering the value of the gift card deducted from the amount of the gun(which can only be applied to purchases made after you buy the Shield) you get it for around $275 atleast here in North Texas. I turned around and used the 75$ gift card on Federal .223 55gr which was on sale too + the 10% discount and then the federal rebate. Got 1k rounds for 199 after tax. Steal of a deal so I bought some other ammo they had on sale too

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    shield is a good gun.. its my car gun.. im annoyed at S and W rebate service though.. still doesnt have me in the system.. and I sent it in like in August I'm calling them again on Monday.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    The first store I went to sold out of FDE Shields. Only the black one with the safety qualified for the $30 price drop and I didn't really like the idea of having it. Ended up going to a different Academy to get it. I got it at 21:30, they looked like they were ready to leave for home. Black Shield with safety and FDE with no safety were the ones that had the $30 discount.

I didn't see anything about a 10% off total order. Ended up spending $308 with tax, because of $75 giftcard. I plan to use the giftcard to later buy some badly needed boots. (mine are like 5 years and almost worn flat) Something I didn't notice on the rental I used, the extended magazine seems to have a spacer. I got the S&W goody bag and got a new hat to wear. Must have been $250 before I bought my first gun. (This is 2nd) ...Ignore the fact I had it pointed at my leg... Empty... Now I will save for a 1911. Or maybe a ar-15.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    The first store I went to sold out of FDE Shields. Only the black one with the safety qualified for the $30 price drop and I didn't really like the idea of having it. Ended up going to a different Academy to get it. I got it at 21:30, they looked like they were ready to leave for home. Black Shield with safety and FDE with no safety were the ones that had the $30 discount.

I didn't see anything about a 10% off total order. Ended up spending $308 with tax, because of $75 giftcard. I plan to use the giftcard to later buy some badly needed boots. (mine are like 5 years and almost worn flat) Something I didn't notice on the rental I used, the extended magazine seems to have a spacer. I got the S&W goody bag and got a new hat to wear. Must have been $250 before I bought my first gun. (This is 2nd) ...Ignore the fact I had it pointed at my leg... Empty... Now I will save for a 1911. Or maybe a ar-15.

Must have just been my academy then

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017

AR15s won't get cheaper than they are now, if you want one I highly suggest you buy it before november.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    AR15s won't get cheaper than they are now, if you want one I highly suggest you buy it before november.
    I was thinking I would get another gun for myself, for Christmas. CZ 75B, shiny 1911, ar-15. But before that I was hoping I could get my CHL, but I'm worried that I'm not good enough of a shot to pass. Then I know nothing about the class part. Back to the range test, I would be using a .38 revolver? Which I've never handled or shot one.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I was thinking I would get another gun for myself, for Christmas. CZ 75B, shiny 1911, ar-15. But before that I was hoping I could get my CHL, but I'm worried that I'm not good enough of a shot to pass. Then I know nothing about the class part. Back to the range test, I would be using a .38 revolver? Which I've never handled or shot one.
    I would recommend a range class that would better your skills. I would also say that I have seen people that haven't much training at all pass the practical part of the LTC test. Keep in mind that when you do test it will be from 3, 7 & 15 yards.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017

The Bar to pass the accuracy test of the CHL class is embarrassingly low. I imagine if you've ever shot a gun you'll be able to do it.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    The Bar to pass the accuracy test of the CHL class is embarrassingly low. I imagine if you've ever shot a gun you'll be able to do it.

Agreed. After 2 range trips I went in for my CHL and shot a 248 with a Glock 26. One shot below a perfect score, and I am no crack shot.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Was that your own gun?

Yes. The law has recently changed in TX, they used to limit you to a certain minimum caliber. Also if you tested with a revolver, I think you could only carry a revolver? As I understand the new law, you can shoot just about anything for qualification now.

Richard B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    The new Shield 2.0 is out. It will cost more than the "old one" for some time. I have seen quite a few 1.0s for a bit over $300. One of the changes is to the trigger. I haven't had a chance to try one to compare with mine, but there really is nothing wrong with the original trigger. It is not a difficult gun to shoot. The course of fire for the LTC class really is not that difficult. Just make sure that your handgun is in good working order. As commented earlier, there is no caliber requirement so shoot anything you are comfortable with.

Going crazy in CA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    I like to check academy's website to look at guns and check whats on sale. Right now a S&W Shield 9mm black or FDE, is $360 reg $390, at academy. I see some places have models with a thumb safety even cheaper, buds has a really cheap one... But I don't quite like that.
    I've been wanting to look into getting my CHL and have been looking for a gun that I could use for that... or get a 1911. I'll need to make sure I like the gun though. Last time I held it, I thought the grip was kinda sharp. Still haven't even shot my first and only so far gun that much. I already liked the price of it before, but it just got sweeter.
    I remember the clerk telling me how he bought a S&W SD and hated the trigger. From pictures, it looks like that trigger is on Shields, M&P, M&P 2.0. Even found a video online of a person having issues with it, because the safety wouldn't disengage.
    Black or FDE for CHL? Thoughts?
    Cheers,
    Higgins909

Higgins,
    I agree that you should test anything that you're going to buy before you purchase it. But as far as the S&W M&P 9mm, it is a great little CCW pistol and is one of the most widely used pistols for CCW in the U.S. I have seen numbers that it is in the top 3, for 9mm and I can see why. I own one as well and it is my daily little friend.
    Yes the trigger can be a little gritty at first and most people typically change it out for an APEX upgrade that makes it smooth as silk. After that you won't need anything else done to the pistol.
    Just this week I saw deals <$300 but they have expire and now the price is right at $300 without safety, $319 w/safety, here is the link for sportsman:
    https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...wesson-mp9-shield-9mm-pistol--no-thumb-safety

You can check it out and see if it is something you want to consider, but go shoot it this week and give it a try. I also have the Ruger LC9S and like it as well, but the S&W fits my hands better. Hince shooting it first and seeing what you like better.
    Good luck on your hunt. Now is a great time as prices drop for new models coming out next year.
    Cheers.....

Top Bottom