• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A while back, I started a thread describing my experiences using "Tens" units to control chronic pain. I swear by these things and they have controlled pain that was totally off the scale of tolerance. The Tens uses two or four adhesive patches with wires that connect to a battery powered unit. You choose one or two pairs of patches based upon where the pain is located. The crazy signals sent from the unit, BLOCK pain signals from getting to your computer (head).

I've have many injuries resulting from one misadventure or another. Arthritis pain is my constant companion and there's just not enough pain killer to handle it. If I take enough pain meds to deaden the pain, the meds make me sick!

Unless the pain is in my head, I do have the ability to shut it down and ignore it. That's what I did today.

I had some gout pain in my left toe yesterday but I went ahead with my plans for the day. I worked on several pistols and one shotgun in my garage while wearing house slippers. Those slippers offer zero support to my feet.

I woke up this morning hurting about an 8 on a 10 scale but I did my errands, ignored the pain then took Jake on a five mile ride on our giant tricycle. Afterwards, Jake hit his rack and I took a nap, too. I awoke to 10+ pain in that damned left big toe! The toe had blinding pain!

I have one Tens unit that I rigged up with everything that I need....Tens, patches, batteries and wires. I snatched that case, tore it open and wired up with one electrode on top and the other on the bottom of my foot. I stuck a battery in the Tens and cranked her up!

The first thing that you feel is a tingle. In a few minutes, pain was about a "3" on a scale of 10. Holy cow.....what relief!

These units work on almost any part of the body (NOT the head!)! I was passing a kidney stone about 3 years ago, put a patch over my kidney and one on my lower belly and ...........gone! Kidney stone pain has been compared with childbirth. With the Tens, it wasn't comfortable but it didn't scream with pain!

The unit that I used is a basic Tens that cost me $30! You need a Prescription to get one but you scan the scrip, Email it and you can buy more than one. We found that doctors are very willing to provide a Scrip for Tens units.

Geeze...gotta turn the Tens down a bit. It's making my whole left foot warm!

If YOU have blinding pain and meds aren't working for you, the Tens may be the answer! Here's where I got mine:

http://www.tensproducts.com/TENS-Units_c_61.html

Flash
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    For those of you who haven't experienced gout, allow me to 'splain it to you. The toe swells up. Mine actually takes a sideways bend, then the pain starts. It hurts enough so the pressure of a bed sheet will drive you up the wall. Wearing a shoe is almost impossible and I modified a pair of shoes to cut out the parts that touched the toes.

There is a RULE in having a gout flareup. When the damned thing gets so sore that LOOKING at it hurts, you will bash it into something, drop something on it or have some goober step on your foot. It happens every time!

Most folks think of gout as a problem that happens to old, fat men. In truth, I had gout flareups when I was fairly young and slender.

Flash

Last edited:

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I've had it so bad that I had to crawl from the car to the house once. Another time when I was driving OTR, I had a flare up on the way back home. I had it that time in my left knee, and hit Houston stop and go traffic, I barely made it home and had to be assisted out of my truck.
    Talk about SUCK...

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Gout and any other form of arthritis can provide pain that is beyond the ability to cope. I've been in motorcycle wrecks that didn't hurt that bad!

The use of pain killers is a two edged sword. Used a lot, they cease to be effective so we double down on them. That either makes us sick or gets us WAY too fond of the pain meds! That's why I recommend the Tens units.

I hooked up the Tens, it got me through the worst of the episode and, although they say TENS won't HEAL the problem, by getting relief, rest, lessening tension in the pained area, healing takes place! I had 10+ pain on Monday, I was free of pain on Tuesday (discomfort, sure but not PAIN) and Wednesday, I'm back to normal! I credit the TENS for that.

This is the unit that I use. I got mine a few years back and paid about $30 for it. I keep it ready to go in case Arthritis pays a visit.
    http://www.tensproducts.com/TruTENS-3-mode-TENS-with-timer-by-TENSproducts_p_295.html

I do not get a commission nor am I in any way connected to Tens sales. I found out that you don't NEED to hurt like some of us do and wanted to share that.

Flash

Last edited:

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Great to hear you got some relief! There have been days I would have traded most anything to get rid of the agony. Mine started when I was in my mid twenties, teaching tennis and riding a bicycle 100 miles a week...forty pounds lighter than I am now. Have never figured out a food trigger except any diuretic will bring on an episode within 24 hours.

as you are aware, I'm sure, plenty of damage can be done to a joint that is overworked during a flare up. I've seen the crystals in a joint...looks like someone stuck a wood rasp in there.!! Gotta be careful not to do permanent damage by overusing a joint during an episode.

ive had it so bad in my knee before, that more than once I would have given an instant OK for surgery if it had been available. Nasty stuff!

Take care...

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    My wife and I love our TENS unit. I use it for Osteo-Arthritis and she for Ankylosing Spondylitus but we didn't need a prescription for it, there are many websites that sell them without a script.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    After about 4 major back surgeries, it is a great device. Got me through the time between the surgeries many times. First used one at the chiropractor years ago and am sold on their effectiveness.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    Any equipment that keeps me from using drugs gets a thumbs up in my book!

Flash

That's great for getting through gout attacks, but don't make that your only treatment. Uric acid will chew up your joints over time if you don't address the cause of the attacks.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I am going to dig up this old thread in case folks with back, shoulder, etc pain do not know that 'Icy Hot' brand as introduced their TENS unit. It's in widespread distribution, easy to find pad refills and not that expensive. Good News is no wires to mess with, so you can wear it around without much hassle or others noticing.

Icy Hot Smart Relief Tens Therapy Back Pain Starter Kit, 2 pc: Medicine Cabinet : Walmart.com

Icy Hot Smart Relief Tens Back Pain Therapy - CVS pharmacy

Amazon.com: Icy Hot Smart Relief TENS Therapy Starter Kit: Health & Personal Care

Icy Hot Smart Relief Tens Therapy Starter Kit | Walgreens

Icy Hot Smart Relief TENS Therapy Back Pain Star... : Target

icy-hot-smart-relief-tens-back-pain-therapy-unit.jpg

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    I had to go to the ER because a muscle in my neck wouldnt loosen up. I felt like I was gonna pass out if ai tried to move my head. They gave me shots with meds.

Would this have helped me not go to the ER?

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    After some years of messing with the Tens units, I'm still mystified about how they work and exactly how much they can do to make me feel better. I do NOT want any drugs in me unless it's absolutely unavoidable.

Here's how it works. Some part of my body is hurting....like your neck was. I'll hook up the Tens unit and after a while, I realize the pain is gone. It doesn't turn the pain off like a switch, just makes it go away like a ghost slipping away unnoticed.

I think the Tens would have helped you. When we have pain, we tense up against it. It would ease the pain then you'd relax .

I have so many old injuries that it's amazing how many pieces and parts can cause pain. They take turns trying to kill me! One night I couldn't sleep because my knees hurt so badly. I wired up the Tens, goofed around a while and promptly fell asleep. The pain eased up and I dropped off to sleep.

As I posted earlier.....If you've ever passed a kidney stone....Oh boy! I spent 4 days with that pain and it just wouldn't stop. I put one patch in my lower belly and one on my back and cranked her up. No more pain!

I think the units would be effective for you. They are really inexpensive so it's worth a try. I keep mine ready to go 24/7 and it keeps me from snarfing drugs.

Flash

Last edited:

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    I picked this up today. Its $40 in store. Seems to be working on making the golf ball in mu back go away but tight muscles migrated to my rib cage.

Walmart

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I am going to dig up this old thread

I'm glad you did. My wife is suffering through knee pain - after two surgeries to repair a torn meniscus. For the price of one of these, I'll get her one if it just helps. Thanks.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom