Terminal Wounding Ballistics 101 *NSFW*

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 308nato, Mar 17, 2009.

1. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

2. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Dang.

3. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Graphic to say the least. Don't look if you are the least bit squeamish.

4. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

I know its not for everyone but I posted this for the information on
    the type of ammo that was used and the sumations on what worked
    and what didn't work so well.
    Sorry if I grossed anyone out.
    Mods if you think its to much for folks go ahead and delete.

5. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Naw, it's no biggie. I just threw NSFW in the title to make sure no one "accidentally" clicks something they don't really want to see. I think any serious student of self defense does need to see stuff like this and research it. It may be nasty but, it's better to learn now as opposed to the hard way. Although it's kind of annoying seeing crazy examples like this as just when I'm starting to feel perfectly sufficient with a caliber like 9mm or something, an example like this comes along and gives me that feeling I need .500sw or bigger. ;) lol

Man, this guy put up a pretty serious fight. They should have busted out a full auto Spas 15 with 20rd drum mags and 3.5" magnum slugs or something lol. ;) The human body is damn resilient, that's for sure. That also goes to show you that when you put your mind to something, like say surviving, that alone can sometimes be the determining factor on whether you survive or not. I guess the moral of the story is don't give up, you can do more than you think you can and can deal with more than you think you can. Pretty amazing stuff. And to think there are plenty of people that still believe this universe is just one big accident (nothing against any atheists here). ;)

6. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Shot placement is critical. Learn, and practice, not to spray and pray.Dont be too concerned with the fact that you only have 7 rounds or 15. IMHO, if you think high cap is the way to go against the bad guy, (1-2) you, plan on missing alot. Be certain and be accurate and be fast.

7. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    In fairness to the cop's placement, the suspect was shooting back.

Was an interesting read 308.

8. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Fairness, being shot at?? I quote from another individual"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics "SUCK".

9. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    To quote the film critics in Hollywood Shuffle:
    Make my day? Would 50 bullets up your a$$ make your day?

I'd say that guy got his day made, lol

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Shot placement was good in this shootout. He was hit in the throat, chest, and abdomen several times by .223 and .40 caliber rounds. The rounds themselves, especially the pistol rounds did not work as advertised.

The pistol caliber rounds had trouble penetrating his heavy clothing, and the rifle caliber rounds simply passed through. He seemed to be hiding behind cover which prevented a solid shot. If anything this proves the limited abilities of the various firearms used in certain situations.

I think personally that the LE community should be using a larger caliber rifle where they can utilize expanding munitions. Something like a .450 Bushmaster or .50 Beowulf could easily be retrofitted to existing hardware, and the round would probably be more effective on soft targets, whilst retaining it's hard target potential. It's not like LEOs are engaging targets 300 - 400 yards away in an urban environment.