Gun Zone Deals

Termination of Retirement pay to Ex after passing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Thanks to Pat Schroeder (Rep. CO - D) and Diane Feinstein (Sen. CA - D), my ex is getting about 50% of my retirement pay. My question is this: if my ex passes, does that revert to me automatically or do I have to file some paperwork? Has anyone dealt with it themselves and could provide some insight?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    DFAS needs written notification and a copy of the death certificate; once that is provided, garnishment will stop.

“DFAS requires written documentation regarding the death of a former spouse. Please include a copy of the death certificate. In the letter, please include the military retiree’s name and social security number and the date of the former spouse's death. Fax this information to DFAS at 877-622-5930 or mail it to:

DFAS-HGA/CL
    Assistant General Counsel for Garnishment Law Directorate
    P.O. Box 998002
    Cleveland, OH 44199-8002.”

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thanks to Pat Schroeder (Rep. CO - D) and Diane Feinstein (Sen. CA - D), my ex is getting about 50% of my retirement pay. My question is this: if my ex passes, does that revert to me automatically or do I have to file some paperwork? Has anyone dealt with it themselves and could provide some insight?
    Might be a stupid question, but I guess this means that you got divorced after you retired?

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Remember though, the spouses percentage is calculated after any disability is taken out. For example, if spouse gets 50% but the retiree has 20% disability, the spouse only gets 40%.

That is what bit my ex and her lawyer.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Usually the funeral home will apply for the Death Certificate. They get multiple copies. You might be able to request one from them.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Remember though, the spouses percentage is calculated after any disability is taken out. For example, if spouse gets 50% but the retiree has 20% disability, the spouse only gets 40%.

That is what bit my ex and her lawyer.

Correct, neither military disability compensation nor VA disability compensation is divisible. I’m about 99.95% this also applies to SSDI, but haven’t looked at it in a while.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Usually the funeral home will apply for the Death Certificate. They get multiple copies. You might be able to request one from them.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

The funeral home will facilitate application for the death certificate. Ordering 10 originals is probably enough for most estates as most places will accept a copy. Life Insurance and most financial institutions will require an original.

I forget what DFAS wanted from us when my mother passed a couple years ago.

Top Bottom