• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I am pretty new to guns. A few weeks ago I got my first handgun, a Ruger Security 9mm, and have been to the range several times. I enjoy the hell outta shooting it, but I am a terrible shot! I don’t know if it’s my grip or what. I will be consistently low for 4 or 5 shots (I think I am aiming dead center of the target) and then I will hit 1 or 2 dead center. But I love practicing and ammo is cheap, so hopefully I’ll get more consistent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Try the ball and dummy drill.
    Take three or four magazines. Load one with a live round the rest with snap caps. Place them in a shooting bag. Shake the bag. Now without looking at the gun load it with a mag from the bag. Focus on the front sight and press the trigger. Did you flinch? If so it’s low and left. Dry fire 25 times. Now unload and repeat the exercise until you don’t flinch.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    How new is the pistol? I've had a few unfired that took over 50 rounds to shoot to point of aim. What ammo? Specifically what weight of bullet? Contrary to popular belief, a light and fast bullet will hit lower than a heavy and slow bullet. (This applies to handguns only).

Now that equipment has been addressed. Shooting pistols is not difficult, but it can be if you are nervous or just plain trying too hard. It's an acquired skill, and a diminishing skill for most everyone. Granted, I've seen a few first time shooters who just line up the sights and punch bullseyes.

Just keep shooting. If Ben English posts in here. Pay attention.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    If so it’s low and left.

I thought I threw that target out before anyone could see it!!! Low and left, that sums it up!!! Gun is 3 weeks old. Been to the range 4 times. About 2-300 rounds through it. Shooting Winchester 115 grain I believe. The cheap ones. 500 rounds for $99

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I am pretty new to guns. A few weeks ago I got my first handgun, a Ruger Security 9mm, and have been to the range several times. I enjoy the hell outta shooting it, but I am a terrible shot! I don’t know if it’s my grip or what. I will be consistently low for 4 or 5 shots (I think I am aiming dead center of the target) and then I will hit 1 or 2 dead center. But I love practicing and ammo is cheap, so hopefully I’ll get more consistent!

If you are ever in the Texarkana area, send me a PM. I have been a certified firearms instructor for many years and will go to the range with you and help you out. Of course, it probably would be much more practical and timely for you to seek out a qualified instructor in your area who teaches a basic pistol course. I recommend an NRA certified instructor. Not only will you be taught the basics of actually shooting but you will get some good info about firearms safety as well. As for continuing to practice, without the benefit of having been instructed in proper techniques, you run the risk of continually practicing the wrong technique(s) and that will not help improve your shooting. Good luck with it, whatever you decide.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I've never shot a Ruger Security, but I have shot a lot of pistols with heavy trigger pulls. If the trigger pull is heavy you might tend to pull low & left as you squeeze the trigger. Like mentioned above, dry fire drills with snap caps will correct this issue as long as you are maintaining sight picture as you squeeze ther trigger, you will notice what the hand & wrist are wanting to do.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Lots of good advice given already. I especially recommend the ball and dummy drill.

Have patience, 300 rounds isn't a lot of trigger time, and it's going to take quite a bit more before you are able to chew out the center of a target

Where are you located? If you are around League City, i know a few instructors that can help

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If you are going to be in Austin I would be happy to work with you on some basic skills.

I am home every other weekend and typically shoot on Saturday/Sunday mornings when I am home.

I have been told I am a pretty decent instructor.

Reading your post it does seem like you are anticipating recoil and squeezing your support hand as you are pulling the trigger. Try dry fire exercises and put a quarter on top of your slide near the front sight. Get where you can keep it on there every time you pull the trigger.

This could help.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Hoji's exercise is great one. Anticipating recoil is very often a new shooter's bane. This is where the shooter pushes the gun down just before the trigger is squeezed ( or pulled also a new shooter error). For right handed shooters low and left is result, Lefties go low and right.

Another weird but not unusual new pistol shooter shooting behavior is the "movie recoil effect" People see pistols fired in tv and movies and the pistol recoils upwards and I have run into new pistol shooters who try to make their pistol do that too. That usually results in a miss over the target. While that does not appear to be your issue.... try to keep the front sight centered all the way from point - aim - squeeze-BANG - front sight should settle back at point of aim almost instantly (UNLESS you are firing a 45-70 in a Thompson Contender)

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    I hate to tell you that it’s not quick or easy. Lots of dry fire lots of live fire. Get a 22 and learn to shoot it first. 3”-5” unsupported groups at 25 yards are very possible with a good pistol so don’t sell out and quit too early.

I just realized a personal goal this summer through similar training. Distinguished Pistol Shot.
    599c59f2dbf8d52cea4db8062f91fe38.jpg

Attachments

• 599c59f2dbf8d52cea4db8062f91fe38.jpg
      599c59f2dbf8d52cea4db8062f91fe38.jpg
      124 KB · Views: 493

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    North side of Houston. Kingwood.
    I'm in Spring, west of 45. If you'd like, we could get together to do a little shooting. I'm not a great shot; I've never shot Distinguished and now that I'm old I accept that I never will. (Kudos to t-astragal!) However, I know some basics I'd be happy to pass along.

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    Bayou Rifles (Addicks Range)hosts a Precision Pistol match on the 4th Sunday of the month, be there around 8:30. Its $20 you get to shoot 270 shots. There are beginners and masters there and we all want to help. Start coming every month with a 22 (Buckmark, mk4, etc) and I guarantee within 3 months you’ll be twice as accurate. In a year you’ll be amazed at what you can do.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Bayou Rifles (Addicks Range)hosts a Precision Pistol match...
    This is only good advice if he wants to understand the fundamentals of pistol shooting better than and be a better shot than 99.9% of all pistol shooters he will ever meet. :)

CodyK - Sarcasm aside, if you, as a new shooter, want to truly understand the fundamentals, Precision Pistol (which lots of people still call bullseye) is hands down the best shooting game to drill those fundamentals into your brain.

Top Bottom