• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    So, when I shoot with both eyes open, focusing on the front sight, I see two rear sight pictures, and the right one of those is the true one. I see two blurry targets, and the left picture is the true one. I’ve had to learn that. Isn’t that something?

What is the goal? If you want to hit a full size torso target at less than 25 yards, both eyes open and seeing double is fine. Actually it really won’t matter if you aim at all. Your finger will either do it’s job and you’ll hit or it’ll flinch and you’ll miss.

If you want to hit a clay pigeon sized target at 50 yards, you’ll need that cooperative finger and you’ll need to only see one rear and one target. You gotta aim now. So you will need to limit vision in the non dominant eye by squinting, closing, or covering it.

I think pistol shooters get all wrapped up in tactical /defensive techniques and never really learn the fundamentals of firing a well aimed shot. There are reasons to train for speed and tactics but if you can only have one skill, it should be accuracy. Missing very quickly doesn’t win a gunfight or a shooting match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Actually it really won’t matter if you aim at all.
    You sound like a bullseye shooter. Oh, wait. You are a bullseye shooter. :)

This is the first thing you've said with which I disagree. You and I aim a certain way. Our shot process is a certain way. Defensive shooters are different but I don't believe they are so different that it doesn't matter if they aim. Some of the folks at the top of the action shooting sports have written for years about the need to aim, about how it's not possible to miss fast enough to win a match.

I accept the utility of the flash sight picture or, as Doug Koenig likes to call it, the acceptable sight picture. The defensive trainers I trust pretty much all preach using the sights if the target is more than a couple of yards away.
    I think pistol shooters get all wrapped up in tactical /defensive techniques and never really learn the fundamentals of firing a well aimed shot.
    Truer words have never been spoken. It's really sad to see, too. There are quite good defensive shooters who couldn't stay in the black on a bullseye target if they tried. What's sad is that if they had learned the bullseye fundamentals first, way back when they started, they'd be much better defensive shooters now.

And that's enough of me editorializing.

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    This is the first thing you've said with which I disagree.

I doubt we disagree actually. My point was more to the common flaw of jerking shots. Aiming doesn’t matter if a feller can’t pull the trigger without flinching. I can point without aiming and hit a big target because I have trigger control. No amount of effort ,equipment, optics, what have you will overcome jerking.

Maybe this is a clearer way of stating this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom