• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    I have a AR-15 side charging 10 inch 5.56 pistol on the way and I want to feed test the mags I have, but due to the cost of ammo I want to use as little as possible

What would the minimal number rounds per 30rd mag be for a good test
    Venture Surplus ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Really you're testing the gun and the mags.

When I function test I run a full mag but these usually aren't my primary home defense firearms.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Buy a Magpul Pmag. Fill it up and run 30 rounds through it. You should be more concerned with function testing the rifle than the mags, especially if you use a high quality mag like Pmag. If the rifle is already fully vetted, you shouldn't need to run more than 5 rounds to test a magazine.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I have a AR-15 side charging 10 inch 5.56 pistol on the way and I want to feed test the mags I have, but due to the cost of ammo I want to use as little as possible

What would the minimal number rounds per 30rd mag be for a good test
    A full mag. Magazines will always feed better when loaded light. Not logical to test a mag unless it’s full.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    3 rounds... the first to test manual loading, and last two to test semi-auto function. If a mag will work nearly empty, it will assuredly work full, but I agree with downloading by 1 or 2 rounds to ease bolt closed insertion. JMO.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Is the side charging AR design prone to FTL/FTF/FTE issues, or is it just a “how many mags question?

I don’t sweat testing quality mags (PMAG, Hexmag, etc.)

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    As the goal here is to test mags as best possible without expending excessive numbers of rounds during the current ammunition shortage...

Test the followers of the empty mags by pressing them down to full compression with a non-marring tool like a wooden dowel. Press them front, middle, and rear to see the degree to which the followers bind and how the spring tension feels. Segregate the mags according to how well they fare.

Load the magazines to your full and then strip the cartridges from the rear with your thumb. Or, cycle the rounds through the rifle manually. Segregate them according to their ease of unloading and note magazines that significantly mar rounds.

Discard, or test fire the more problematic mags with full loads. Test the others with 3 rounds.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    As the goal here is to test mags as best possible without expending excessive numbers of rounds during the current ammunition shortage...

Test the followers of the empty mags by pressing them down to full compression with a non-marring tool like a wooden dowel. Press them front, middle, and rear to see the degree to which the followers bind and how the spring tension feels. Segregate the mags according to how well they fare.

Load the magazines to your full and then strip the cartridges from the rear with your thumb. Or, cycle the rounds through the rifle manually. Segregate them according to their ease of unloading and note magazines that significantly mar rounds.

Discard, or test fire the more problematic mags with full loads. Test the others with 3 rounds.
    I agree with all the above except where highlighted!

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I agree with all the above except where highlighted!
    I think that thumbing the rounds out will adequately test the function of the magazine, while manually cycling through the rifle more tests the rifle, also, but is harder on the cartridges.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Magazines by their very nature are designed to deliver multiple rounds. Running’s a few rounds won’t expose problems with the magazine.
    Exactly!

The OP needs to decide how many FTFeeds are acceptable per how many rounds. I.e. create a standard.

Just blasting and going OK, that works I guess is ultimately just blasting ammo for fun.

Create a standard and that will tell you how many mags you need to go through. Personally, I wouldn't be happy with a mag that failed to feed 1% or 0.5% of the time. That doesn't mean shoot 100rnds, it means several (3, 4, 500) hundred rounds per mag to get a real failure rate. Loading up five, ten or 20 mags and blasting won't give you good info about each mag if you have concerns.

I would number your mags, then have a paint pen handy when you happen to shoot. Get an ftf? Tic mark. Get 2 or 3, mag goes in the trash.

Just buy some good Pmags, number them and shoot. A good maker's mags work in ARs, the mags are proven.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom