• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    at what point did we the honest Texans become the bad guy?? when did it happen??? when we stand up for the nice guy next door we are wrong, and the thief is right???? H E double hocky sticks NOOOOO.:mad:

we are Texans and we stand together or we will fall apart. they had better not charge him. there will be a redneck uprising.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    This case isn't real clean. By the letter of the law, he's skating on the very edge because he did something stupid.

Maybe he'll come out no-billed but whatever happens, it doesn't help anyone that believes in defending what should be defended.

My hope is that whatever the GJ does, this thing slips off into the dark without any attention. Ya right....

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Having talked to a Harris County ADA about the case, his personal opinion was that the Grand Jury is going to no bill Mr. Horn.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Having talked to a Harris County ADA about the case, his personal opinion was that the Grand Jury is going to no bill Mr. Horn.

Uh-oh. The Houston area had better gear up for the worst. The race card and all the jokers who use it will show up. Houston will lay out the red carpet for the likes of the Rev. Jackson and Al Sharpton.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I dunno about that. Not only did both have a criminal past, both were illegal and back in the US, again, committing crimes, again. The Sharpton and Jackson moron's might just sit this one out.

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    at what point did we the honest Texans become the bad guy?? when did it happen???

It happened when he chased them out into the neighbor's yard and street and shot them (in the back?) when they were trying to get away, if I'm remembering the details correctly. A really stupid move in my opinion.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    It happened when he chased them out into the neighbor's yard and street and shot them (in the back?) when they were trying to get away, if I'm remembering the details correctly. A really stupid move in my opinion.

...while on the phone with 911 telling them he was "gonna kill'm" while they instructed him not to. Not that a 911 operator has any jurisdiction in dictating action; at least I don't think they have any such duty. If he would have shot the guys as they were breaking in, or trying to get away with the stuff they had, (sooner than he did) THEN called 911 to report what happened, this would have been in the media archives by now.

zaraster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis

If I recall correstly they were or had been in Mr Horns yard at the time of the shooting

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If I recall correstly they were or had been in Mr Horns yard at the time of the shooting

Yes, there was an off-duty police officer that had pulled up to the scene as the shooting took place. He witnessed the BGs bolt, at an angle, toward Joe Horn, where he then fired into one, and then the other. He never chased anyone as far as I know, and I seem to recall that he wounded one that migrated some distance and fell. From initial appearance it looked like he gunned him down running.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

This is why he's in the situation he's in now. And why the GJ might have a hard time looking at the specifics of the law.

His first response to the situation set the tone. He handed it over to the law and had no business stepping in later.

If his primary intent was to stop them, he would have called to report the shooting.

Also, from this full version of the tape, it's obvious that the neighbor didn't ask hi to watch his house.

"I'm gonna kill'm..." Before he ever gets outside and puts himself in any danger.

"I'm gonna shoot...you're dead..." Is his greeting, at a time when it appears they haven't had a chance to threaten him. In this recording, it sounds like his first intention was to kill someone, not keep a neighbor "stuff", who he doesn't know, safe.

A good Attorney might work the law, as I understand it, in his favor because he is protected by it now. But I can't see how anyone can say he used responsible judgment. His life wasn't threatened until (and we don't know for sure IF it was threatened) he confronted them with deadly force announcing he was gonna kill them. He didn't even try to take control of the situation, his first reaction was to kill.

Even in the conversation with the 911 operator, he was defensive about "his rights". That to me, considering the situation, again demonstrates that his primary intent was not protecting "stuff" that belongs to a neighbor he doesn't really know.

zaraster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    Would have been a lot better to have called 911 gave them the details and hung up.
    If he had there would be a lot less problems now. I hope we all learn from this

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Don't give 911 too much info?

Give them plenty.

"I think he's got a gun!"
    "He's got a gun!"
    "He's coming at me!"
    *BANG*
    "Put the gun down!"
    *BANG*
    "I didn't want to!"
    Cue Sobbing

That's after you plant a pistol and fire a few shots off using their dead hands.

Not that I'd ever do such a thing. :p

Moe Howard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    This one is really tough to call, there have been conflicting reports of some of the datails. I kind of hope the guy gets no billed, only because I am tired of criminals getting away with crimes like home invasions/burglary. It would send a strong message to would be robbers but unfortunately it may send one to some slack jawed yokels to take the law into their own hands. Here in the DFW area the other day a woman chased a man two or three houses down the street before shooting the burglar,,,, not good.

zaraster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    This one is really tough to call, there have been conflicting reports of some of the datails. I kind of hope the guy gets no billed, only because I am tired of criminals getting away with crimes like home invasions/burglary. It would send a strong message to would be robbers but unfortunately it may send one to some slack jawed yokels to take the law into their own hands. Here in the DFW area the other day a woman chased a man two or three houses down the street before shooting the burglar,,,, not good.
    I guess that would depend on what he had stolen. If he had my property in his hand I could see chaseing him.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    not sure about that one ^

I may chase, but unless I'm on my property or in imminent danger, I don't think I would shoot. At some point there's a transition from protecting one's property and/or person to vigilanteism. We have an inherent responsibility to make sure that line is never crossed. At some point you do need to realize when your role has ceased and the cops need to do the rest. In a best case scenario if the BG leaves you should be able to let him go. It is likely only material possessions he's taken which can be replaced or at least lived without. I don't want someone to take my stuff but am in this to protect myself and my family. While he's in my house he should fear death. If he makes it to the door alive he should fear the cops. My $.02 Flame away if necessary.

Top Bottom