TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I didn’t know pigs smoked weed.

I learned something new today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Some people call it careless weed...

What's interesting is that Amaranth is native to the Americas. It was so important to the Aztecs as a foodstuff that they worshipped it, popping it and mixing it with honey, they shaped it into figurines that they worshipped, then broke apart and ate.

The Spaniards, on there arrival, couldn't tolerate that (possibly because the practice had just a bit too much in common with the eucharist) so they outlawed growing amaranth.

Though not fully effective, the ban nearly eliminated knowledge of amaranth as a foodstuff. Today, it is grown worldwide, especially where farm tech is limited, due to its ease of planting and harvesting. It's warm weather, the whole plant is edible, the young leaves are like spinach (known as Chinese spinach), the stem is brittle with texture and taste similar to celery, and the seed can be popped without oil, or boiled as a cereal.

This is my first planting, really an experiment to learn how to plant it, but the amount of green stuff it has produced is astounding.

It sprouts in 2-3 days, and by two weeks will produce greens, by 4 weeks it was 2' high, supposed to produce mature seed in 3 months. 850,000 seeds per pound, so very economical to plant from organic seed foodstuff.

So, there is more than one useful plant to come out of Mexico...

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Some people call it careless weed...

What's interesting is that Amaranth is native to the Americas. It was so important to the Aztecs as a foodstuff that they worshipped it, popping it and mixing it with honey, they shaped it into figurines that they worshipped, then broke apart and ate.

The Spaniards, on there arrival, couldn't tolerate that (possibly because the practice had just a bit too much in common with the eucharist) so they outlawed growing amaranth.

Though not fully effective, the ban nearly eliminated knowledge of amaranth as a foodstuff. Today, it is grown worldwide, especially where farm tech is limited, due to its ease of planting and harvesting. It's warm weather, the whole plant is edible, the young leaves are like spinach (known as Chinese spinach), the stem is brittle with texture and taste similar to celery, and the seed can be popped without oil, or boiled as a cereal.

This is my first planting, really an experiment to learn how to plant it, but the amount of green stuff it has produced is astounding.

It sprouts in 2-3 days, and by two weeks will produce greens, by 4 weeks it was 2' high, supposed to produce mature seed in 3 months. 850,000 seeds per pound, so very economical to plant from organic seed foodstuff.

So, there is more than one useful plant to come out of Mexico...

That’s pretty interesting, where did you get the seeds? Local feed store?

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    In the '60s as a foreign service brat, there were 'lesson periods' we all attended. We were told to watch the other foreigners, listen to their kids and report back about what they thought about Americans and the 'other' countries dealings with the locals. Gave a whole new meaning to the term "spy kids".

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    That’s pretty interesting, where did you get the seeds? Local feed store?

Amazon... You can buy seed for planting at exorbitant prices...

or, as I did, buy seed intended for eating at $4-$6/lb.

Organic Amaranth Grains (2lb) by Naturevibe Botanicals, Gluten-Free & Non-GMO (32 ounces) https://a.co/dyiX3JE

Anna and Sarah Organic Amaranth in Resealable Bag, 5 Lbs https://a.co/03BZxpP

Organic Amaranth Grains, by YakaFoods - 80oz - Whole Grain - Good Source of Antioxidants, Protein and Fiber - Gluten Free - Certified Non-GMO - Certified USDA Organic https://a.co/cdswCtm

I'm trying all these to see how they perform.

Planting rate, presumably for seed production, is 2lb/acre, but if harvested for greens could be much higher... Plant it close, pick it young and tender.

My planter jr. dropped about 2lb on 1/8 acre in 8" row spacing (using a cabbage seed disk) that I initially thinned to 16" rows, but the plant spacing is still way too close for good seed production. My first interest was for animal feed, so It's still working out for me.

I've since acquired a blank disk that I will drill for this tiny seed and try for seed production next spring.

Here's the thing... Many of you have probably seen this plant growing wild... Years ago, in good years I had quite a bit of it, but then the drought and the animals cleared it out...

Screenshot_20220819-134801_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    >> This will likely quickly be swamped by Karens reporting their neighbors for watering their lawn on the wrong day.

Texans encouraged to use iWatchTexas to report suspicious behavior

The state launched a new public service announcement featuring the actor Chuck Norris, who famously played Walker Texas Ranger on TV

I love the world we live in...It's full of lack of accountability and dumping money into problems and adding more steps vs fixing a problem.

Programs like this are the result of people being unable to do the job they got hired to do. Any local agencies should have been able to handle following up with a community when tipped off or be ready.

Iwatchtexas...My ass. Just more people with hands in the pot behind a desk pretending to care.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    how to swat people 2.0
    Once the system is in place, then it's only necessary to add to the list of what is suspicious and you have Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, or the First Republic (France), only in Texas and America...

I'm sure lots of good people in those places thought reporting on their neighbors was a good thing, until they didn't, when ovens started cooking, ditches started getting filled, and heads started to roll!

This has got to be at least v.5.0...

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Amazon... You can buy seed for planting at exorbitant prices...

or, as I did, buy seed intended for eating at $4-$6/lb.

Organic Amaranth Grains (2lb) by Naturevibe Botanicals, Gluten-Free & Non-GMO (32 ounces) https://a.co/dyiX3JE

Anna and Sarah Organic Amaranth in Resealable Bag, 5 Lbs https://a.co/03BZxpP

Organic Amaranth Grains, by YakaFoods - 80oz - Whole Grain - Good Source of Antioxidants, Protein and Fiber - Gluten Free - Certified Non-GMO - Certified USDA Organic https://a.co/cdswCtm

I'm trying all these to see how they perform.

Planting rate, presumably for seed production, is 2lb/acre, but if harvested for greens could be much higher... Plant it close, pick it young and tender.

My planter jr. dropped about 2lb on 1/8 acre in 8" row spacing (using a cabbage seed disk) that I initially thinned to 16" rows, but the plant spacing is still way too close for good seed production. My first interest was for animal feed, so It's still working out for me.

I've since acquired a blank disk that I will drill for this tiny seed and try for seed production next spring.

Here's the thing... Many of you have probably seen this plant growing wild... Years ago, in good years I had quite a bit of it, but then the drought and the animals cleared it out...

View attachment 339687

Lots of good info. Thanks for posting all the websites. I’m going to have to give it a try.

Maybe the deer will even share some with me.

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Sometimes seeds intended for food will be irradiated, but good to know these haven't been.
    I haven't specifically tested, but germination rates seem very high. For one of the products listed above, one reviewer reported 95%.

I planted amaranth on a lark, but am now more interested from a prepper garden standpoint.

About the Organic Standards

The use of genetic engineering, ionizing radiation and sewage sludge is prohibited.

Last edited:

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring

Reactions: gll
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics