Join TexasGunTalk

Texans For Open Carry

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by kingmonkey, Aug 22, 2008.

1. kingmonkey

kingmonkey New Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Hello everyone! New to this forum but wanted to let you know about another great site called Texans For Open Carry. We are small group of concerned gun owners who are fighting for the legalization of open carry in this state. I know there are several groups working towards this goal and with everyone pitching in I think we can get it done in 2009. Anyway, swing by and take a look. The site is still under some construction and hopefully more content will be added. We want this to be an activist site where people get out there and actually start talking to others to get things done.

Thanks guys!

Mitchell.

www.TexansForOpenCarry.com

2. DopaVash

DopaVash Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    I'm there!

3. jim t

jim t Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    me too

4. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Good to see OC push from several organizations

I'll check it out. Any joint venture possibility with TxCDL?

5. kingmonkey

kingmonkey New Member

Aug 22, 2008
    We've talked to the TXCDL and while we wont be a "joint venture" we are both fighting for the same goal and will work together towards that end. The TXCDL and Texans For Open Carry are really two different organizations. TXCDL is hoping, I would guess, to become a more hardcore alternative to the TSRA and will eventually play a large part in ensuring Texans overall gun rights.

Texans For Open Carry has a very narrow purpose and limited goals. Our main purpose is to try and build grassroots support and pressure the Legislature to make a move in 2009. We are pushing for unlicensed open carry which would be solidified by an amendment to the Texas constitution. We'd like to see the phrase "but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime" removed from Article 1, sec. 23. We would also like to see the state drop the requirement for a permit to carry concealed, but not get rid of CHL's. In essense, we want Vermont-style gun laws (no permits for concealed or open carry) with optional CHL's for those that might travel to other states and would like carry in the ones that recognize Texas' CHL.

Please, if you have a chance head over to our website and sign up for the message board. If you haven't already also head over the OpenCarry.org website and check out their board. There are a lot of groups out there fighting for this and if we can put pressure on the Legislature we can get this thing done in 2009.

Thanks!

Mitchell.

www.TexansForOpenCarry.com

6. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Joined. :)

7. Mark F

Mark F Member

Aug 21, 2008
    I joined about a month ago. Great idea. I don't know if I would actually OPEN CARRY but I would like to have that OPTION!

8. FreedomJoyAdventure

FreedomJoyAdventure Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Austin
    Found this website over there.

God, it's embarrassing how behind the times Texas is on gun rights. I'm a firearms instructor, and when we moved back to Texas all our Florida friends said, "Oh yeah, Texas, you can wear your gun on your hip there...". Yeah, RIGHT, I wish...

I have a CCW, but concealed carry is not comfortable, and I don't like the idea of having to rassle with my clothing to draw from concealment if I were attacked.

I love how people carried openly in Arizona last time I was there. We should be able to do the same.

9. Nate C

Nate C Active Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    What do all ya'll think are the chances of making this a reality?

10. Furyataurus

Furyataurus Active Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    I'd say there is a 70/30 chance of it passing.