• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingmonkey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Hello everyone! New to this forum but wanted to let you know about another great site called Texans For Open Carry. We are small group of concerned gun owners who are fighting for the legalization of open carry in this state. I know there are several groups working towards this goal and with everyone pitching in I think we can get it done in 2009. Anyway, swing by and take a look. The site is still under some construction and hopefully more content will be added. We want this to be an activist site where people get out there and actually start talking to others to get things done.

Thanks guys!

Mitchell.

www.TexansForOpenCarry.com
    ARJ Defense ad

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Good to see OC push from several organizations

I'll check it out. Any joint venture possibility with TxCDL?

kingmonkey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Good to see OC push from several organizations

I'll check it out. Any joint venture possibility with TxCDL?

We've talked to the TXCDL and while we wont be a "joint venture" we are both fighting for the same goal and will work together towards that end. The TXCDL and Texans For Open Carry are really two different organizations. TXCDL is hoping, I would guess, to become a more hardcore alternative to the TSRA and will eventually play a large part in ensuring Texans overall gun rights.

Texans For Open Carry has a very narrow purpose and limited goals. Our main purpose is to try and build grassroots support and pressure the Legislature to make a move in 2009. We are pushing for unlicensed open carry which would be solidified by an amendment to the Texas constitution. We'd like to see the phrase "but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime" removed from Article 1, sec. 23. We would also like to see the state drop the requirement for a permit to carry concealed, but not get rid of CHL's. In essense, we want Vermont-style gun laws (no permits for concealed or open carry) with optional CHL's for those that might travel to other states and would like carry in the ones that recognize Texas' CHL.

Please, if you have a chance head over to our website and sign up for the message board. If you haven't already also head over the OpenCarry.org website and check out their board. There are a lot of groups out there fighting for this and if we can put pressure on the Legislature we can get this thing done in 2009.

Thanks!

Mitchell.

www.TexansForOpenCarry.com

Mark F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I joined about a month ago. Great idea. I don't know if I would actually OPEN CARRY but I would like to have that OPTION!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Austin
    Found this website over there.

God, it's embarrassing how behind the times Texas is on gun rights. I'm a firearms instructor, and when we moved back to Texas all our Florida friends said, "Oh yeah, Texas, you can wear your gun on your hip there...". Yeah, RIGHT, I wish...

I have a CCW, but concealed carry is not comfortable, and I don't like the idea of having to rassle with my clothing to draw from concealment if I were attacked.

I love how people carried openly in Arizona last time I was there. We should be able to do the same.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I'd say there is a 70/30 chance of it passing.

Open carry? In what year?

It took 5 legislative sessions to get CHL passed and there was something to bring to the floor, with legislators sponsoring it and lot of support. It had support from the right places and by the time it was close, it only hit a wall in the Governors office.

As I understand it, there's no one sponsoring it, and there is nothing even drafted to bring to the floor. In other words, it's internet forum chat.

70/30 chance that it'll be presented within 4-5 sessions. That's 8-10 years.

If there is actual movement, something is drafted and it has legislative sponsorship, I'd like to know where and who. I haven't found anything anywhere indicating there is but I'd like to be proven wrong.

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I am much less concerned about open carry right now than I am on possible federal legislation that may hit us next year. As for open carry, there are some places in Texas where I would feel comfortable with open carry and some where I would much prefer to CC. Here in Moscow on the Colorado, I would expect to be hassled to no end if I OC'd, legal or not. In rural Texas, on the other hand, I wouldn't worry about it. But, that is just my opinion. I would like to see open carry legalized statewide. But, I would also like to see carry laws nationwide that mimic Vermont's carry laws.

boatfloater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    I'll be there in a few minutes myself.

Not a damned thing wrong with open carry. Unwise in some circumstances for some people, but shouldn't be illegal.

sv6er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    I'd like the the state to recognize my right to open carry, but I probably wouldn't exercise it. I'd much rather NOT be the first person shot in a massacre style situation, so that I can be alive to do something about it.

Although, it'd be nice to not have to worry about a little bit of a print through your shirt getting you in trouble.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I'd like the the state to recognize my right to open carry, but I probably wouldn't exercise it. I'd much rather NOT be the first person shot in a massacre style situation, so that I can be alive to do something about it.

Although, it'd be nice to not have to worry about a little bit of a print through your shirt getting you in trouble.

Legally speaking, you shouldn't have to worry about "a little bit of print on your shirt". I have asked many instructors and the consensus is that it is INTENTIONAL display of your weapon. If you walk outside and your jacket blows back, breifly exposing your weapon, you have not committed a crime.

Now, I wouldnt open carry for the same reason stated above. You make yourself a target....

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Anyone ever notice that when fire-fighters are off-duty, they always wear a shirt advertising their career but a cop never does? That is because a little badge emblem on your tee-shirt or any reference to law enforcement means "shoot me first".

It is my opinion that open carry would too...... and seeing how unprepared and under-trained most people are, I think it would be a horrible idea UNLESS there is an additional course and annual training for open carry recipients. (yeah, like THAT would ever happen):(

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    ...and seeing how unprepared and under-trained most people are, I think it would be a horrible idea UNLESS there is an additional course and annual training for open carry recipients. (yeah, like THAT would ever happen):(

I hate to agree, but listen to stories about CHL classes right now and it's scary as hell. There are a lot of people that have no business carrying any kind of weapon. But I think the fact is, most won't actually carry. But some that do, scare the hell out of me. I think we'd all agree, the class and proficiency test are weak. I also think, going by some stories, some people shouldn't be passed, even with current no-brainer requirements. The proficiancy test also needs to be changed so that it's a real test of proficiancy.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom