Join TexasGunTalk

Texas CHL Specific Laws

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by SIG_Fiend, Mar 2, 2008.

1. TexasT

TexasT New Member

May 20, 2009
    NE Texas
  2. rodbender

rodbender Active Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    Riddle me this Batman (or anybody else). My brother is currently incarcerated. When I go to visit him, they always tell me that I can't bring my pistol into the parking lot and leave it in my pickup. Under CHL laws it plainly states that I can't carry it on the premises of a penal institution, but then says that premises does not include parking lots, just buildings. What's up with not allowing me not to leave it in my pickup and should they be allowed to do this?

3. rayj8524

rayj8524 New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    Here in north texas, the prison checks your vehicle for weapons before you even get into a parking lot. There is also a huge sign on the drive some 200 feet before the check point. After searched and signed in, I drive a couple hundred yards to a parking lot, then walk about 200 hundred feet to a gate where you are personally searched and patted down. From my house to the prison, it is about a 25 minute drive on the opposite side of town from where i live.

I know what the chl laws say, but I feel that if I tried to stand up for my rights in this case, I could lose my permission to visit and be removed from the visitors list. Which my friend, who is in high security, of administrative segregation, would be the one who suffers from this. So I'll play by the rules.

Let me ask this here. my friend gets out in 36 months and will be released at Huntsville (as are all inmates). He is in for 2 counts of aggrated robbery for 15 years. I will be the one to go pick him up at that time. Could there be problems for him if I carried to pick him up? What are the laws about convicted felons in the presence of firearms? I will add that at that time, he would have served all of his 15 years.

Your help will be appreciated.

4. rodbender

rodbender Active Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    He is not allowed to possess firearms until 5 years after release from incarceration or public supervision, i.e. parole or probation, which ever is later. After that 5 year period, he will only be allowed possession in his home. He still can't purchase one. As long as you don't allow him to handle or be in control of a firearm (loaded or unloaded) you and he will be OK. If you do, then you could be in trouble as well. You can't allow him access.

5. APatriot

APatriot Active Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Friends,

What are the SB and HB bills dealing with weapons in parking lots of businesses and carrying weapons on premises of higher education? I know what the substance are in these bills I just can't remember the numbers for my legislative search.

Never mind friends, I reviewed old posts and found them. I should have thought about that before. I am learning you folks on TGT are up to speed.

Thanks.

6. Starker

Starker Active Member

True dat! We beat those horses to death several months ago.

7. APatriot

APatriot Active Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Do you have the latest link as to active license holders and instructors? The latest posted is 2005.

8. reeseman67

reeseman67 New Member

Nov 20, 2010
    DFW,Texas
    Yes, I recently received my Utah CHL, although I am a Tx resident (Its cheaper, lasts longer and accepted at all the states I would be concerned with, 5 hr class vs 10 hr class, although its a little disconcerting that there is NO firearm quals, not a problem for me but hope the rest of my class is festidious in practice as I try!) and the Utah instructor said the exact same thing, and I was out tonight and my friends were drinking and I didnt have a drop, both because what I was told and if a situation 'goes down' I want all my faculties online ASAP!! But I am interested in the precise legality of this??

9. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Precise legality of what?

Had you taken a Texas CHL class you would already know the answer.

But if you will clarify your question we will try to help you.

10. rodbender

rodbender Active Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    The last legislative session in Texas there was a bill that would require a Texas CHL for Texas residents. A non-resident license from another state was not good in Texas if you are a resident of Texas. Did this bill get passed? I can't find it anywhere.