• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The problem of course is what is the true meaning of each amendment, and I don't have the answer. Killed in action vs killed in line of duty. Many of these things sound great but require more explanation. Please educate me as I vote early when possible.

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    KIA is generally the result of enemy action. Killed in the line of duty is usually a person that died as the result of accident/incident on a vessel that is not in a combat zone or engaged in combat.

Perhaps the courts will later decide what qualifies if/when this becomes a constitutional right.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Perhaps the courts will later decide what qualifies if/when this becomes a constitutional right.
    No need for a court to get involved. Line of Duty determinations are made by the service when member(active/guard/reserve) on active duty has an illness, injury, or disease that results in the inability to perform military duties for more than 24 hours, is likely to cause permanent disability, or results in the death of a service member. Generally speaking, members are given the benefit of the doubt and assumed to be acting in the line of duty unless there is compelling evidence otherwise.

EX1: Service member killed in motorcycle accident initially ruled within line of duty. Toxicology report indicated SM was under the influence of multiple Schedule I narcotics and had a BAC of .12. LOD investigation was initiated to determine if the SM had a valid reason for the tox report…nope. No SGLI payment made to the surviving spouse, no death benefits provided by the service or the VA. SM lived in base housing at the time (usually surviving spouses are allowed 30-90 days post death to relocate); spouse was provided 7 days from date of determination. Since it wasn’t within LOD, also had to pay for the final move out of pocket.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    No need for a court to get involved. Line of Duty determinations are made by the service when member(active/guard/reserve) on active duty has an illness, injury, or disease that results in the inability to perform military duties for more than 24 hours, is likely to cause permanent disability, or results in the death of a service member. Generally speaking, members are given the benefit of the doubt and assumed to be acting in the line of duty unless there is compelling evidence otherwise.

EX1: Service member killed in motorcycle accident initially ruled within line of duty. Toxicology report indicated SM was under the influence of multiple Schedule I narcotics and had a BAC of .12. LOD investigation was initiated to determine if the SM had a valid reason for the tox report…nope. No SGLI payment made to the surviving spouse, no death benefits provided by the service or the VA. SM lived in base housing at the time (usually surviving spouses are allowed 30-90 days post death to relocate); spouse was provided 7 days from date of determination. Since it wasn’t within LOD, also had to pay for the final move out of pocket.
    Thank you for the explanation. Since this was not a LOD death even under the suggested constitutional amendment in Texas no tax break for the spouse. The issue is whether LOD deaths should give the spouse a tax break in Texas. A military cook on active duty that has a heart attack and dies is I guess LOD death. Do we want to tax break his wife. A cook at any civilian restaurant that has a heart attack and dies doesn't get a spousal tax break. Killed in action already gives spouse tax benefit. I am voting no on this amendment but that is my opinion only.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Thank you for the explanation. Since this was not a LOD death even under the suggested constitutional amendment in Texas no tax break for the spouse. The issue is whether LOD deaths should give the spouse a tax break in Texas. A military cook on active duty that has a heart attack and dies is I guess LOD death. Do we want to tax break his wife. A cook at any civilian restaurant that has a heart attack and dies doesn't get a spousal tax break. Killed in action already gives spouse tax benefit. I am voting no on this amendment but that is my opinion only.
    I respectfully Disagree. It is the least we can do for our service members who have to give up so many other things.

Please vote Yes for Number 6 . My wife was locked out from seeing her many of clients during that time. Many depend on her to take them to the Store for Groceries or appointment,. etc. Plus not to mention all the Children that could not see their Parents.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Vote how you want, but there is a huge difference between a “cook”
    In the military and a cook at the local greasy spoon.

Military cook as to cook (or stand guard, clean latrines, work long shifts, deploy to remote shitty beaches without oceans, load airplanes, set up field kitchens, etc. ) whenever and wherever told…. Not much choice or input and if they don’t show up, they get arrested, prosecuted, and separated.

Meanwhile, wife has to cover all home duties regardless how long or often the “cook” is gone for. Ask your spouse how they’d feel if you came home one day and said you were leaving in a week to travel to the other side of the planet and would be gone for 6-12 months. Think that would fly?

Yea, it’s “what they signed up for…”….but don’t say it like it is some Carnival Cruise.

I am enjoying a lot of benefit from my 28 years in uniform, no doubt. And I have a ton of great friends and memories.

But it sure wasn’t all rainbows and unicorns. Lots of financial struggles, moving to places I’d never want to go, deploying to shitholes where wind blows the 110 degree heat and sand constantly. And several metric shit tons of stress on my wife and children.

You do you…I’m voting Yes.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Just remember the military is an all volunteer service now, just a job like any other for the non-warrior types, 20 year retirement, etc. Yes I served for 8 years. Viet Nam was the risk when I served. Those that serve in action deserve my respect. Those that are clerks and non-combatants, it is just a job. I still respect all in uniform but someone killed in an auto accident on base is not the same as someone blown up in Afghanistan. Vote as you wish. Just my opinion.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    No draft, that is true. But military service, even today, is a much bigger commitment than a job you can drop papers and leave immediately, or say no to.

Thanks for your service. I know Viet Nam was a thankless war. I understand where you are coming from. But we’ll disagree on this.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    All I’ll say about non-combat deaths is that they number about 500 per year across all of DoD. It’s a pretty small effective impact to Texas.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom