• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 300shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Fargo,ND
    I will be taking my oldest daughter, and be taking 10 deer as this place is under management. before anyone asks yes I will be eating all that as its my main stay for the year.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I didn't go out once last year. I either had the money, but no time or vice versa. I'm so ready to get out there this year.

As far as the hogs go, we surround all of our feeders with hog panels that way the deer can get in the pens, but the hogs can't. They try and that keeps them around so if we want some pork chops, they're there for the taking.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I didn't go out once last year. I either had the money, but no time or vice versa. I'm so ready to get out there this year.

As far as the hogs go, we surround all of our feeders with hog panels that way the deer can get in the pens, but the hogs can't. They try and that keeps them around so if we want some pork chops, they're there for the taking.

Might want to check with your Game Wardens on shooting deer inside an enclosed trap. You may be on thin legal ground there. I know we are REQUIRED to take our hog traps down that surround a feeder during deer season.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Might want to check with your Game Wardens on shooting deer inside an enclosed trap. You may be on thin legal ground there. I know we are REQUIRED to take our hog traps down that surround a feeder during deer season.

I wonder if he meant something more along the lines of a non-hunted ground feeder.

We use tripod feeders in the shooting lanes, but ground feeders (they hold a lot more feed) in other areas to promote good health and nutrition. The ground feeders have permanent fences and are not hunted.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I personally don't use feeders. I like to check out the trails, look for droppings... etc... then stake out a place and wait... if I see a deer, I'm happy... if not, that day was not my day to shoot a deer. This will be my first season here in Texas though, probably going to go up to a friends place in Groesbeck.

Oh yeah... Venison Boudian makes my mouth water.

Cavalry Doc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Texas

What kind of trap are you using. The hog traps we use are too short to allow deer to get in. We did have some hog panels surrounding a protein feeder, but opened it up because the deer seemed to stop coming to the feeder, even though they should have been able to get in and out easily.

Piginapoke.jpg

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We did have some hog panels surrounding a protein feeder, but opened it up because the deer seemed to stop coming to the feeder, even though they should have been able to get in and out easily.

The area surrounded by the panels may not be large enough to make the deer comfortable. Especially if there is an aggressive deer that gets inside and runs the more timid ones off.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    We're heading to the ranch in 2.5 weeks for a hog hunt. This will be the first time I have taken a client out there. I hope everything goes great and we can do it more often. Since the ranch is 7 hours away, we only go a couple times per year. If this works out, we will go more often.....since I can expense a lot of it and not use my vacation.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Crude, I talked to my freind where I go, down near Denton, and Ike ran off all the deer and dove, he's baited and hasn't seen a one of either. With the price of deer leases momma is going to veto my new idea. Down to my last pack in the freezer.

Cavalry Doc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Texas

The area surrounded by the panels may not be large enough to make the deer comfortable. Especially if there is an aggressive deer that gets inside and runs the more timid ones off.

Good point. We got a flat-bed load of panels for free, other than delivery costs. I'll bring that up with the rest of the fellows.

Top Bottom