APOD Firearms

Texas electric grid. This is gonna hurt.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    As much as I dislike ERCOT, it served a purpose.
    A "made up entity " that actually buffered us consumers from the government.
    The government of Texas.
    PUC is government.

Y'all research and draw your own conclusions.

I’m not arguing ERCOT’s role, but they themselves argued in front of the Texas Supreme Court they are entitled to sovereign immunity because they have no autonomy from the state despite their 501c4 status.

I’m of the mind you can’t have your cake and eat it, too.

Last edited:

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    Looks like this issue is far from resolved:

And we missed the setup when the Legislature asked ERCOT to delay:

Popcorn may be most appropriate. While I am not opposed to being environmentally conscious, appreciate reliable electricity much more. Green Voices can be loud so the system must subtly work to price reliability (dispatchable generation in industry parlance).

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Looks like this issue is far from resolved:

And we missed the setup when the Legislature asked ERCOT to delay:

Popcorn may be most appropriate. While I am not opposed to being environmentally conscious, appreciate reliable electricity much more. Green Voices can be loud so the system must subtly work to price reliability (dispatchable generation in industry parlance).
    Remember before renewables when we never gave a thought to grid issues?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I've never been anything but a power consumer, but to me this sounds like pushing power generation purely into a cost benefit situation. The assumption will be that demand that can't be produced when demand comes up will be served by magically more reliable generators who earn and sell credits. That assumption is very likely wrong - those with credits to sell aren't going to turn them loose when power is plentiful, they're going to sit on them for when the shit hits the fan as an insurance policy.

Sounds a lot like the whole carbon credits scheme.

But again, I'm not in the electricity gen/dist world. I could be completely wrong.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    They are commissioned by the state to do a job. They are not government. They just want no responsibility.
    It’s all so much BS
    In CA, PG&E was found negligent and criminally liable for a number of fires.

No one goes to jail.

They’re a sanctioned monopoly and any monetary damage is just added to everyone else’s power bill.

(The fact that the utility was prevented from trimming overgrowth by environmental regs is the topic of another thread…)

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    The new green deal is a lie. Democrats claim to be for the environment but they are extremely destructive and just want to make money.

Anything they push that’s a new technology should make people stop and ask questions. All politicians lie but democrats really add insult to injury with “being green”.

As an environmentalist myself I piss on democrats.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    The new green deal is a lie. Democrats claim to be for the environment but they are extremely destructive and just want to make money.

Anything they push that’s a new technology should make people stop and ask questions. All politicians lie but democrats really add insult to injury with “being green”.

As an environmentalist myself I piss on democrats.
    I agree, although there are times when I have said I would not piss on a democrap's face, if his hair was on fire.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Democrats and voters can eat my dick. They want to hand out free education but offer no plan for guidance for what should be the future minds of our country. They refuse to give NASA any funding. Democrats are the reason why America will no longer be the worlds leader in technology and manufacturing.

Anything green they believe in will just leave the earth stripped and you with a shitty ev car battery that goes out in 5 years that you won’t be able to afford.

I hate these clowns.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    Renewables are not able to compete in a free market. They are unreliable, expensive, and inefficient. They must be subsidized (with our tax dollars) and mandated. Some are certainly getting rich and gaining power, but "We the People" are getting screwed.

The two principal mechanisms of subsidizing renewables are productions tax credits (PTC) and then renewable portfolio standards that require a certain portion of new generation to be from renewable sources.

PTCs typically allow a tax credit for the plant owners per MegaWattHour (MWH) of generation produced. This MWH credit pushes renewable generation to generate even when it might not be otherwise cost effective to generate. This has created the unique situation where there will extended periods of negative pricing for power. This then sends a market signal that something like a dispatchable coal plant must shut down to let subsidized wind generation generate while the wind is blowing. That works well up until the wind stops when you needed that coal plant online. PTCs will force the negative price as low as their credit amount for example if the PTC is $35 a MWH they will only stop generating at negative $35 a MWH. This displaces reliable coal which costs $12 a MWH. The math here is insane.

Forcing wind plants to turn off in the face of negative pricing would be a rational solution to this, but the greens tell us it is essential so that we develop mechanisms to store that power for later. Battery Storage is crazy expensive and unlikely to change rapidly.

Renewable Portfolio standards are somewhat less disruptive to reliability as they are just a requirement that total output from renewables be a certain percentage. They still force uneconomic investment in crazily expensive generation, but they do not force it to run irrationally.

All told, it is expensive to be green and cost effectiveness discussions are not welcome by advocates.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom