• ...and so much more!
  • LaborLawPaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2021
    North Texas
    The List.

Legislation reforming the bail system in Texas to protect the public from
    accused criminals who may be released on bail.

Legislation strengthening the integrity of elections in Texas.

Legislation providing funding to support law-enforcement agencies, counties,
    and other strategies as part of Texas' comprehensive border security plan.

Legislation safeguarding the freedom of speech by protecting social-media
    users
    from being censored by social-media companies based on the user's
    expressed viewpoints, including by providing a legal remedy for those
    wrongfully excluded from a platform.

Legislation providing appropriations to the Legislature and legislative
    agencies in Article X of the General Appropriations Act.

Legislation similar to Senate Bill 1109 from the 87th Legislature, Regular
    Session, requiring schools to provide appropriate education to middle- and
    high-school students about dating violence, domestic violence, and child
    abuse
    , but that recognizes the right of parents to opt their children out of the
    instruction.

Legislation identical to Senate Bill 29 as passed by the Texas Senate in the
    87th Legislature, Regular Session, disallowing a student from competing in
    University Interscholastic League athletic competitions designated for the sex
    opposite to the student's sex at birth.

Legislation similar to Senate Bill 394 from the 87th Legislature, Regular
    Session, which prohibits people from providing abortion-inducing drugs by
    mail or delivery service, strengthens the laws applicable to the reporting of
    abortions and abortion complications, and ensures that no abortion-inducing
    drugs are provided unless there is voluntary and informed consent.

Legislation similar to House Bill 3507 from the 87th Legislature, Regular
    Session, relating to a "thirteenth check" or one-time supplemental payment of
    benefits under the Teacher Retirement System of Texas.

Legislation similar to House Bill 3979 concerning critical race theory as
    originally passed by the Texas Senate in the 87th Legislature, Regular
    Session.

Legislation providing appropriations from additional available general revenue for the following purposes:

property-tax relief;
    • enhanced protection for the safety of children in Texas' foster-care
    system by attracting and retaining private providers for the system; and
    • to better safeguard the state from potential cybersecurity threats.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    It's fine like it is.
    Deregulated and market driven.
    Utilities and consumers are well served 9999 days out of 10000.
    Market players who got hit with an astronomical bill aren't happy.
    Lock in a rate and get over it.

EdLaCrosse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    North Richland Hills, TX
    It's fine like it is.
    It needs to be about more than rates. Reliability is important too, and the February experience suggests that reliability is a random variable and is quite possibly going to get worse as we increase reliance on "green" sources.

As an example, maybe we could design the grid to ensure that the probability that anyone goes without power for more than x consecutive hours is less than y for some "reasonable" choices of x and y. What is going to be done to provide better reliability? I've heard nothing so far.

I'm still waiting for parts for my pool after spending $5K on repairs. I was lucky to have pipes burst while I was in the house and could shut the water off at the street. We were without power for 75 straight hours. I'd like someone to explain why I should expect nothing like that will happen again. So far, crickets.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Abbott called special legislature session and the Texas energy grid problems are not even on the list !

Abbott has to go !
    After all the good things he's done, and is doing for Texas.... he doesn't address one problem the way you think he should, and you want to kick him to the curb?

Lord, no wonder the Repubs can't accomplish anything with loyalty like that.

Perhaps if we had Master Beto in there, everything would go well?

I agree the electric grid should be reformed to be more reliable, but how often do we have a freeze like that? Once every 40-50 years?
    Take some responsibility on yourself, and buy a good quality generator to keep your vital appliances running during a power outage.
    Cold snaps like we had this year almost qualify as an un-preventable "act of God"...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It's fine like it is.
    V and H, with all due respect you really do not know how close we have come this summer to rolling blackouts again.

This is no longer a once in a lifetime threat. And as more wind and solar generation is added, this is going to get worse.

That said, some (not all) of the problem could probably be addressed through regulatory agencies and not necessarily require legislation.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    V and H, with all due respect you really do not know how close we have come this summer to rolling blackouts again.

This is no longer a once in a lifetime threat. And as more wind and solar generation is added, this is going to get worse.

That said, some (not all) of the problem could probably be addressed through regulatory agencies and not necessarily require legislation.
    And additional problems are caused by more people and businesses moving to Texas. Also all these electric cars that the keep saying will save the earth and fix global warming take a shit-ton of power to charge up.
    I agree that electric cars are the future, but our electric system is in the past. If they made solar more affordable, it would be a different issue, or if they got fusion reactors figured out.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas

Actually, I do. I listen to the news sometimes, and I heard about conserving electricity to help avoid the rolling blackouts.

Has it been officially decided that wind and solar are the reason for the power outages, and if so, why? Or is it simply that we have added more demand than our system can handle at this point?
    Unless power plants are being shut down because of added wind and solar, how could they cause this problem? Seems like adding wind/solar into an existing grid could only help it... ? I confess I'm not well versed in the whole electric system structure.

LaborLawPaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2021
    North Texas
    I suspect federal dollars have distorted the private market. By dolling out federal notes in the form of tax breaks for wind power, investors developed more wind power than they probably would have otherwise. Now, Texas relies on wind power for much of its ever-increasing power needs. Wind power kinda sucks.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    How about doing a little research before posting BS threads?!?

Posted by Abbott two days ago...

Today I'm directing the Public Utility Commission of Texas to take immediate action to improve electric reliability across the state. These directives build upon the reforms passed this session to increase power generation capacity & ensure the reliability of the TX power grid.

1625792692886.png

Also posted yesterday...

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Abbott called special legislature session and the Texas energy grid problems are not even on the list !

Abbott has to go !
    Didnt you post an abbot has to go about electric thread as Gambler?

Asking for @Axxe55

Now that I think about it didnt you use the same avatar when you were Gambler?

IIRC that is.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

I've peddled electricity to the consumer/metered for a bit over 40 years.
    I know how close we've come to blackouts in the last few decades.
    It'll get worse before it gets better. But government ain't the answer. It's the problem.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I haven't kept up with the details on our infrastructure increases as to the power grid, but it only makes sense that Texas is increasing in population each day and that sucks off our water supplies and power grid. If all we're building are windmills and solar panels, those dogs won't hunt when the wind doesn't blow or at night. Any reason why we can't simply build more nuclear power plants like in France?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Didnt you post an abbot has to go about electric thread as Gambler?

Asking for @Axxe55

Now that I think about it didnt you use the same avatar when you were Gambler?

IIRC that is.

Well since I have lost track of all the other usernames that Gambler has used since being banned, and those being banned he used to fly in under the radar, IIRC it was one of his alter-ego usernames and not Gambler that started a thread on the same subject some months back.

And yes, one of his alter-egos used the same avatar. I'm at the point that I'm now 99% convinced that Mavs is Gambler under a new name. The sentence structure and word usage are eerily too similar to be just a coincidence now.

This thread, just like many that Gambler started, moaning and complaining, demanding change is very typical of the posting style I am referring to.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Texas has natural gas to spare.
    Beyond our wildest dreams.
    But it gets "flared" out in the Permian basin because there ain't enough pipeline capacity.
    The "electricity shortage "is self imposed" bullshit. We could spin enough turbines to light up half the country.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom