• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I was under the impression that if you go to another country, you had to obey their laws, or suffer the consequences. Good riddance.
    Venture Surplus ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Death Row needs a express lane. 20 years is too facking long!

Texas has a death chamber express lane. Takes about 10 years, IIRC.

Seriously, capital punishment isn't something that should be rushed. Way too many innocent people have ended up dead at the state's hand only to have evidence come out later that cleared them.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Texas has a death chamber express lane. Takes about 10 years, IIRC.

Seriously, capital punishment isn't something that should be rushed. Way too many innocent people have ended up dead at the state's hand only to have evidence come out later that cleared them.

There should be one cell on death row. You get it until the next occupant arrives to claim it, and you're forcibly evicted. No notice.

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    No, Sage is right. You can't simply kill people unless you know unequivocally that the person is guilty. There have been many instances of wrongful imprisonment and innocent people losing decades or more of their life simply because an eye witness was fallible. So if the evidence against a person is 100% then sure...put em on the express lane. If not, that person on death row deserves to have time to right the wrong against them in the event they indeed are innocent.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No, Sage is right. You can't simply kill people unless you know unequivocally that the person is guilty. There have been many instances of wrongful imprisonment and innocent people losing decades or more of their life simply because an eye witness was fallible. So if the evidence against a person is 100% then sure...put em on the express lane. If not, that person on death row deserves to have time to right the wrong against them in the event they indeed are innocent.

I hate the cost, but I do agree with this.

Rick858

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, TX
    Has anyone ever found out how much money attorneys make with their constant appeals at State expense? Am I wrong...or is a convicted killer on death row the "Golden Goose" for lawyers? Seems they just keep printing appeals......

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas

Most of the court reviews are NOT because the convict might be innocent. They are for procedural issues. The stories of innocent guys on Death Row are wildly exaggerated.

There is an old saying - often attributed to Ben Franklin but it was probably much older: "You don't hang a man for stealing a horse. You hang him so that others don't steal horses."

Juries are made up of humans, as are the courts, and humans are fallible. As much as we'd like to be 100% sure, that can never happen. Still, there needs to be a penalty severe enough that it makes criminals consider the consequences. (Same holds true for paddling your kids. You don't have to do it every day or week, but you need that hanging over them as a disincentive.)

The two biggest problems with the current death penalty system is 1) WAY too much time elapses between sentencing and execution. 20+ years? Ridiculous! By the time the execution takes place, most people have forgotten the crime (or died off themselves). 2) It's WAY too clean and private. An execution should be public and ugly. Not only does it have a bigger impact on potential criminals, it would also have a chilling effect on juries.

Let me say one last thing about Texas juries: I've served on a few and sent some very bad guys to jail. I can tell you that every single time we went through all the evidence and testimony as thoroughly as possible. When we were charged with sentencing (except for capital cases, the defendant can choose to have either the jury or the judge do the sentencing), it was a very long and detailed process to discuss all the possible ramifications of the sentence. Tears were shed - by both the most lenient and the strictest jurors. I have no doubt that the defendants were given a fair shake and deserved the sentences they got.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have kind of a weird view on capital punishment. The state killing citizens is pretty weird. Not saying some people dont need dead though. What i dont like about lethal injection is how medical it is. If we are going to use killing as a punishment in this country it needs to look like what it is.

Those who kill women and children, rapists and molesters hung by the neck until dead.

Others shot.

Without Life there can be no Liberty.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You realize that death by hanging is pretty much just as quick as a gunshot to the heart, maybe faster, right?

Or did you mean they should be shot in the head? Otherwise, it wouldn't make much difference.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Well that, and prison should be prison. I'm not saying it's a day camp... but no TV, no activities, just work, eat, sleep, work, eat, sleep, etc. Hard time that keeps folks too busy to worry about gangs and smuggling. And no parole. Day for day time.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What i dont like about lethal injection is how medical it is. If we are going to use killing as a punishment in this country it needs to look like what it is.

Those who kill women and children, rapists and molesters hung by the neck until dead.

Others shot.
    I disagree strongly; practicality should trump vengeance at the very end. I'd prefer feeding them pure nitrogen through a sealed face mask until they expire. It's cheap, painless and the organs are undamaged. Then harvest all the organs, allowing the deceased to at least help a few people as they leave this earth.

If the condemned refuses to help others by donating organs, give 'em something more gruesome like hanging.

And denying the condemned a last meal request, as we now do in Texas, is just petty. Put a limit on it, sure. The guys who asked for 50 pounds of food at their last meal were just being jerks but that's no reason to take that one act of kindness out of the process.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My issue with lethal injection is how clinical it is. Im not saying the person should suffer. Its not about vengence through pain.

But if we are going to kill humans for their crimes. It needs to look like a killing and not be disguised as something else.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not always and thats not the point.

What's the point then?

To me, the hanging offenses are the most gruesome, but a proper hanging means a quick drop that snaps the neck. Probably more painful to be shot but I don't know from experience:p

Is it for the public to see what happens, in which either would probably suffice.....

Just trying to see where your going with it, seems you had a different idea than what I read from the post.

Top Bottom