• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    I just came back from the Texas Firearms Festival. I had a great time. Tomorrow, I'll take couple of my friends. Today, I wanted to do nothing but shoot lots of guns. VIP access was definitely worth it. VIP access has their own fast pass line, so you go right to the front. On certain lines, like the skeet line, I would shoot, then go back into the VIP line and shoot some more. The only downside to VIP is that they put the VIP lounge on the edge of the event. They should have put it right in the middle.

Here are some pics I took.

Benelli had a skeet range. Their over under was sweet. I'm getting one. I kept going back into the line. I couldn't get enough. I love skeet/trap.

I got to shoot the tracking point equipped rifle.

Here are the prices for the Tracking Point. They claim that their 1400 model can shoot four inch groups at 1400 yards.

This is a gentleman shooting the tracking point. Interesting experience. I liked it, but maybe not enough to buy one.

Sig had the biggest booth. Lots of toys on display and shoot. I shot them all. Very fun.

The Remington booth was kind of empty. I shot the R51. The rep confirmed that they had fixed the issues with the prior production R51s. It's not my thing, but if you're into modern retro guns, I can see how someone would like it.

Texas SOT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Here I am smoking and shooting the silenced MCX, or is it the MPX?

I really liked this rifle, so I asked to take a pic of the inside. I wanted to see if it would work with a RDIAS. The guy was nervous about it but relented. I didn't understand why. So he compromised and let me take a pic but not of the trigger group. I guess I'm not buying that rifle. I forgot the brand.

Sinterfire rep said that they sold 40,000 rounds on Full Auto Friday.

The Sinterfire ammo is made of compressed copper and tin. It turns into powder when the bullet hits the target.

Last edited:

crzy_one

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Austin
    I thought about going but have heard mixed reviews. I suppose that the VIP pass probably negated most of those comments. Hopefully it keeps getting bigger every year.

Did it look like the non-vip people were getting to shoot much or were the lines terrible?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Scott, I didn't ask if Sinterfire recommended the ammo in a silencer. From what I can deduce from watching their product video, a big issue with using the ammo in a silencer is that a baffle strike may produce a cloud of copper and tin fragments close to the shooters face, right at the crown of the silencer.

I've had two baffle strikes, one in my Saker and one in a Liberty silencer. So strikes happen, and both times, the solid bullet just punched through the crown with no ill effects to my person. With the Sinterfire stuff, I'm not sure I want to have a cloud of fragments that close to my face, even with eye protection.

crz_one, mixed reviews is right, but no event is ever perfect. The non-VIP people were having a good time, although admittedly, the lines were a little slow.

I did abuse the skeet line. I shot my first over-under today, and now I'm wanting one. Which over-under to get? Hmmmm. Or maybe a side by side.

Something I didn't see a lot of were parents bringing their children. If we want to teach the next generation of shooting sports enthusiasts, we have to make these events conducive to bringing children. I only saw one or two kids on the firing line.

Last edited:

Reelthrill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Round Rock
    I have been all 3 years now. My friends and I have always attended on Sunday, and we don't pay VIP. Early registration $49ish. We shot everywhere and everything we wanted. Could we have gone through the line multiple times like Machineguntony? No, but that was OK, we shot at every booth and came out smelling like we spent the day at the range.

As stated Sig has never disappointed. Walther was there again, and I just like the way their guns shoot. F1 had an interesting rifle design with an all web chassis. My wife enjoyed that as she found it much lighter and easier to handle.

I also really enjoyed the STI 3 Gun pistol even more than the Wilson Combat's they let us shoot. My friend is going to send in one of his 870 shotguns to Wilson to have it converted into their home defense version.

Hfrog355

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    This event looks like a lot of fun and I wish I'd remembered about it this year. I'd like to go next year.

Top Bottom