• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Interesting, thanks for the info. I use the 4Health (TSC top-o-the-line)

Funny that it seems all the fancier advanced foods show up there but Purina?...Old Roy from WallyWorld? Nope.

No kidding, almost everything on that list gets a high rating on dogfoodadvisor.com which I’ve been using for years as pretty much the gold standard.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Found this on another Forum.

FDA Releases List of Dog Food Brands That May Cause Heart Disease

https://www.breitbart.com/pre-viral...list-dog-food-brands-may-cause-heart-disease/

"Below is the list of brands the FDA have found with the most cases linked to canine heart disease (DCM):

• Acana, 67.
    • Zignatue, 64.
    • Taste of the Wild, 53.
    • 4Health 32.
    • Earthborn Holistic 32.
    • Blue Buffalo, 31.
    • Nature’s Domain, 29.
    • Fromm, 24.
    • Merrick, 16.
    • California Natural, 15.
    • Natural Balance, 15.
    • Orijen, 12.
    • Nature’s Variety, 11.
    • NutriSource 10.
    • Nutro, 10.
    • Rachael Ray Nutrish, 10."

I don't know how the numbers correlate with quantity of test subjects.
    I've been using "Nutro" for 8-10 years.
    I could be wrong but my thought process is that the higher end foods are likely fed to dogs that regularly visit the vet and thus reported more. No offense to anyone that feeds the cheapest food on the shelf but I tend to think they might not have ever discovered it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sounds like a recipe for dog farts.

That what happens if we switch food anyways. That, and the dogs looks in the bowl before giving us a dirty look for screwing with their means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Never heard of "diet rotation" for dogs.
    Might try it to a minimal extent.

One of my neighbors feeds his 10 year old mixed breed something different every night, usually whatever meat they had for supper.

And stops at the grocery store deli counter everyday for some type of off the bone beef, chicken or turkey, strictly for the dog.

Dog seems to thrive on it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Never heard of "diet rotation" for dogs.
    Might try it to a minimal extent.

I've been doing that with my picky dog. Two different grain free Acana feeds, and a Nutro. And a friend showed me a pick of his dog. It was amazing looking both in muscle and coat. So I add raw, unprocessed goat milk (2 ounces per feeding) to her food too.

Acana appears to have two other options, one has oats, the other is 70 animal protein.

May have to switch brands. She looks so good and has so much energy, I almost hate to. She could be unaffected by the food?

From the FDA:

"The FDA has not yet determined the nature of the possible connection between these foods and canine DCM, so we do not have definitive information indicating that the food needs to be removed from the market. We have shared case report information with these firms so they can make informed decisions about the marketing and formulation of their products. We are also sharing this information with the public, but encourage pet owners to work with their veterinarians, who may consult with a board-certified veterinary nutritionist, prior to making diet changes."

"At this time, it is not clear what it is about these diets that may be connected to DCM in dogs. There are multiple possible causes of DCM. Taurine deficiency is well-documented as a potential cause of DCM, but it is not the only cause of DCM. Nutritional makeup of the main ingredients or how dogs process them, main ingredient sourcing, processing, amount used, or other factors could be involved."

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Mocha has been eating taste of the wild since I got her last fall.
    I guess I'll be researching other brands.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've been doing that with my picky dog. Two different grain free Acana feeds, and a Nutro. And a friend showed me a pick of his dog. It was amazing looking both in muscle and coat. So I add raw, unprocessed goat milk (2 ounces per feeding) to her food too.

Acana appears to have two other options, one has oats, the other is 70 animal protein.

May have to switch brands. She looks so good and has so much energy, I almost hate to. She could be unaffected by the food?

From the FDA:

"The FDA has not yet determined the nature of the possible connection between these foods and canine DCM, so we do not have definitive information indicating that the food needs to be removed from the market. We have shared case report information with these firms so they can make informed decisions about the marketing and formulation of their products. We are also sharing this information with the public, but encourage pet owners to work with their veterinarians, who may consult with a board-certified veterinary nutritionist, prior to making diet changes."

"At this time, it is not clear what it is about these diets that may be connected to DCM in dogs. There are multiple possible causes of DCM. Taurine deficiency is well-documented as a potential cause of DCM, but it is not the only cause of DCM. Nutritional makeup of the main ingredients or how dogs process them, main ingredient sourcing, processing, amount used, or other factors could be involved."

Are you "rotating", or just mixing?

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I have started feeding my small pooch the Freshpet chicken. It has veggies in it. She will not eat the Turkey and chicken Freshpet. She seems to be doing better.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’ve been feeding mine Purina Dog Chow their whole lives. They seem to be OK.

Yep. Purina for both of mine. They only like the chicken.

Tried both lamb and beef and thought they were gonna revolt. Left the bowls sitting for half the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I tried lamb with Mocha. She liked it. She smelled like a sheep.
    Nope. Threw the remainder out.

lol Only time almost committed murder by making someone walk the plank.

Kiwi cook, on a 120' x 30' boat, cooked a too-large-for-the-oven leg of mutton and left the oven door partially open to cook it.

200 miles offshore, and nowhere, and I mean nowhere to go ...

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    My pack gets one of the high end grain free dry food with venison stock poured over it.

I save most of the bones from the deer I shoot.

Today I made a stock from the rib cage and it has a ton of fat and meat on it.

Our dogs think we are the best monkeys ever.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I've been doing rotation for the last 2 years, rotating between Blue Buffalo, Merrick, Taste of the Wild, Rachel Ray Peak and raw diet. I don't rotate by night but rather by the bag with a couple days of mixing the old and new bag during the transition. Occasionally she gets a little wet food mixed in too. My dog is spoiled as hell.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I grab a large rump roast when it's $2.49/lb; slice it into multiple 1/2 thick slabs, put each in a vacuum packed bag, with no seasoning whatsoever, and sous vide them all for about 4 hours at 145F, then freeze them.

Each packet, now pasteurized and cooked in its own juices, is cut 1/4" cubes, and mixed in, along with some of the gravy, with her nightly Instinct Raw frozen food.

She also has a Stella and Cheweys Freeze dried beef patty for breakfast.

That pretty much breaks the cycle of the same same everyday.

Top Bottom