• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I got ya guys I understand what your saying and I appreciate the conversation. It just burns my ass a bit thats all.

Any buyer that's hasn't paniced and become willing to pay more and more would naturally be not so happy. Hell, I'm not a rifle guy and I found myself looking around thinking I need to get one just because. But I'm a cheapass and it's frustrating to see something I could have bought for $700 6 months ago is going for $1200-$1500 now. I'll be waiting for the market to be flooded later on.

We're selfish by nature.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I got my evil black rifle stuff it just burns my ass that other people are paying those prices. I bought all my mags and evil ruckus b4 the election.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Matter of fact I just sold 6 pmags for 15.00 bucks a peice. I think I paid 14 sumthing and tax. As of right now I dont want to sell em at all but if I did it would be what I paid for em and I would be grateful to get that outta em instead of them deappreciating. Thats the truth my freind I practice what I preach.

Saxet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Pasadena, TX
    Another good example is one of my favorites. Lets take a 69 RS/SS camaro that cost you $4k. Lets say you bought it new and stuck it in the garage. Maybe you took it out for few drives, but only put a few thousand miles on it. Well, if you sold it today with a few thousand miles and in brand-new condition, it would fetch 6 figures, over $100k. Your earlier logic would have you sell it for $5k or maybe less if you took depreciation.

No that is not correct.....by then based on what others were selling their cars for then it might be fair market value....if you try and sell it for $200K then your an ass.

The point is let us not discuss economic theories but what a jerk someone was being by trying to take advantage of someone else. Sure, let the buyer beware and all that but if we can not watch out for each other and say HEY THAT'S WRONG then the point of the forums and such is moot.

I personally appreciate someone reminding us to watch out because there are a lot of unethical people out there even though I have been fortunate to not have to deal with them.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I sold 1 pmag to a buddy for 20 bucks. Only 1. I paid 17.00 plus shipping. I had 2 guys, on the same day, offer me $1800 for my DPMS .308. I thought about it for a couple of minutes and decided to keep it. I paid 950 for it and was doing the barrel break in on that day. They offered me $1800 so they probably would have gone up if I had showed interest. Had I sold it I would not have felt bad about the price, just the loss of a friend. When the panic is over we will be able to get our stuff the way it used to be. I went through this in '95, and the only real difference is that more people have access to info on the internet. That just fuels the fire.

It has been said, and proven, that people base decisions on their perception of reality. It may be correct, it may be wrong, it doesn't matter because it feels right. If enough people say and think that a firearm is worth $xxxx.xx, that is what it is percieved to be worth and people will buy it for that. Fearmongering(sp) has lead to all of this and I hope it dies down soon.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I can't believe the ignorance (and by that I mean the demonstration of a lack of knowledge of basic economics) from people that want unlimited rights in other areas, like gun rights. You can't select what freedoms you want and others can have. In this country, we share the same freedoms. And economics works out markets for anything offered to be traded.

If I have a 1969 Plymouth Valiant and want to ask $155,000 for it, so be it. If someone wants to buy it, so be it. I'm not an ass because someone wanted to pay that price, they are free to move on. Otherwise I'll use feedback/market climate, and adjust my price until I find people are receptive to the point that I can sell for a price someone is willing to buy and I'm willing to sell.

If someone has something they want to sell, what they sell it for is their choice. However, market price is not decided by what someone paid for it originally, but by the current market. Some things are balanced enough that the price will not change, some increase and some decrease. Most decrease because we flood markets with product and that drives prices down. We're a greedy nation of excess and we pay the price for that. Our economy shows it.

I'll continue to read this thread only for the laughs it seems to be good at generating. Some people just only want to accept what is a benefit to them.....

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I'll continue to read this thread only for the laughs it seems to be good at generating.

I saw on the news tonight that a used Kleenex sold for $3200 on Ebay recently. Some attractive girl on the Jay Leno show blew her nose in it. That, my friend, is price gouging.

This is a fun thread, I don't think anyone has gotten out of line. Lets face it, if somebody is willing to pay $x price for something, then that is what it is worth to them. I bought 2 AR's fairly recently, I paid a couple hundred more because of when I bought them. I didn't get them because I was afraid I would never be able to buy them again. I bought the first one because my wife got to shoot one, really liked it, and she said lets get one. Well, I went to get the .308, but they only had .223/5.56........so I got the .223/5.56 and had them install some 'bling'. I went back later to get the rifle and they had the .308, so I bought it [because that is what I really wanted]. I don't 'like' that I had to pay more, but that was the price that day. I could have just walked away with nothing.

On a side note, I can't wait till next Sunday. We are heading to the ranch to use them for hog hunting. I have them set up, now I will just need the hogs to attend the 'party'.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I saw on the news tonight that a used Kleenex sold for $3200 on Ebay recently. Some attractive girl on the Jay Leno show blew her nose in it. That, my friend, is price gouging.

It's not gouging. It was put up and people willingly bid the price up to a point where it finally sold.

I guess the tissue market just got "blown" out?

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Another good example is one of my favorites. Lets take a 69 RS/SS camaro that cost you $4k. Lets say you bought it new and stuck it in the garage. Maybe you took it out for few drives, but only put a few thousand miles on it. Well, if you sold it today with a few thousand miles and in brand-new condition, it would fetch 6 figures, over $100k. Your earlier logic would have you sell it for $5k or maybe less if you took depreciation.

No that is not correct.....by then based on what others were selling their cars for then it might be fair market value....if you try and sell it for $200K then your an ass.

The point is let us not discuss economic theories but what a jerk someone was being by trying to take advantage of someone else. Sure, let the buyer beware and all that but if we can not watch out for each other and say HEY THAT'S WRONG then the point of the forums and such is moot.

I personally appreciate someone reminding us to watch out because there are a lot of unethical people out there even though I have been fortunate to not have to deal with them.

Thank you

Saxet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Pasadena, TX
    If I have a 1969 Plymouth Valiant and want to ask $155,000 for it, so be it. If someone wants to buy it, so be it. I'm not an ass because someone wanted to pay that price, they are free to move on. Otherwise I'll use feedback/market climate, and adjust my price until I find people are receptive to the point that I can sell for a price someone is willing to buy and I'm willing to sell.

I'll continue to read this thread only for the laughs it seems to be good at generating. Some people just only want to accept what is a benefit to them.....

You are right you can list your 1969 Plymouth Valiant for $155,000 because we live in a free market but it does not mean you would not be an idiot for doing so. Just like what started this thread, the over priced gun, he was showing how some people are, not starting a thread to laugh at peoples opinions.

Some people can only accept what is a benefit to them as it seems some people can only accept opinions as long as they agree with them.

blazer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    San Antonio
    dissappointment in ammo

bought some ammo from saxet gunshow a few weeks back in SA. went to range today to shoot it and the first 7 rounds all were duds. one did not have the primer pressed in all the way. can't remember who I bought it from but watch those reloads at the gun show. revolver maybe ok, but 9mm for auto pistol may not be good. Saxet was very crowded so demand must be good! was at texas gun show today and those guys were gouging. guns that were 300 two weeks ago are now 500! If the election results are going to affect the industry, I guess those gun dealers need to make $ while they can cause in the next 4 or 8 yrs, they may be selling trinkets and BB guns.

Jeffenwulf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    San Angelo
    Well, I've seen a few firearms on the firing line that would have been gone in an instant a few weeks ago hang around longer. Whether that's a reflection of everyone having spent what they have available for firearms or the panic starting to subside I don't know. The only thing that this has really done for me was to get me to buy my AR sooner and concentrate on the C&R guns later.

With any luck this summer everything will be dirt cheap because the manufacturers are ramped up for heavy production right now. If they keep producing and nobody is buying - the prices will begin to drop and I can add a few more. It's simply a result of the actual value of the weapons. In this case it's piece of mind value instead of material value. The higher value is still the value, just for a different reason than we accept. If the price jumps because of higher quality materials we don't blink an eye. Perception is truth and panic raises value.

It's unfortunate, but we're only complaining because we want to buy these guns as well. I don't complain if an M80A1 goes up $500 because I'm not in the market. If a Marlin 60 doubles in price I don't care because I'm not buying one. The only reason we're all complaining about the AR/AK type of firearm is because we want to buy them too. The "panic" has affected us as well, we just don't want to pay the higher price for piece of mind because it didn't cost that much a few months ago. This too shall pass and we'll all roundly denounce those that "gouged". I'll just remember that to me right now, my firearms are worth more to me than they were a year ago. In another year, they may be worth less to me.

grayhawkdr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    DFW
    Once this "panic" subsides, supply and demand will once again dictate proper pricing. I figure patience will be the demise of the so called gougers. But for those who can't wait this out, I guess they'll pay current market prices. I for one, always seem to "buy high and sell low." But even my common sense says don't panic buy and pay double what something is actually worth.. Just my two cents.

blazer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    San Antonio
    Good points. I'm not in the market though for an AR or an AK. I was looking at Marlin 30-30s. a few weeks ago, they were 300 now 400-500. I did notice that there were very few exhibitors at this last show. not sure why. Was able to pick up a Taurus PT140 from an individual for less than he paid for it. I opened the box at home and found his Academy receipt. The gun was only 2 months old!

My Dad always told me that guns were about the only thing that you could buy that would not depreciate if you take care of them.

bfm0072

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Georgetown
    I think alot of the sellers are not necessarily true gun owners. I think they are buying and trying to resell at a profit and just taking advantage of a situation. I do know some of the dealers are upping the anty to make as much as possible in the event they are legislated out of buisness.
    I also think it will be about 2 years befor we see any kind of legislation on firearms. But I could be wrong.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    The posters on that site are crazy!

I have a question...they may be ASKING these crazy prices....but...are they actually GETTING paid these amounts for their guns?

That is the question I'd love an answer on.

I have a feeling that they ARE getting these crazy prices.

To this I say...do NOT pay these high prices...I don't care how bad you want whatever they're selling. By paying the high prices...you are only encouraging the gougers. Don't do it!

- brickboy240

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Price increases at the dealer I know are not a reflection of greed, but a reflection of increased cost... I am sure it is the same at most others as well. His prices went up shortly after the election, but the profit did not go into his pockets, it went to make up the cost increase involved in replenishing his inventory. Most of us see only the increase in retail price, and as a knee jerk think it is a proportional increase in profit to the dealer, in many cases this is not true. As for the individuals buying on "speculation", I can only say, did you not learn anything from the current economic situation?

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    By paying the high prices...you are only encouraging the gougers. Don't do it!

No, by paying the high prices, one is maintaining a market price. No one is gouging anyone. If it was a product that could be obtained form only one place, and only because of a special circumstance/disaster/emergency etc., prices were raised to extreme levels leaving a buyer with no choice because they have to buy, then you have gouging.

Hurricane's that compel stores to double pricing on in stock products like plywood etc. changing their normal pricing structure is gouging and authorities monitor it.

If you don't like an asking price, don't pay it. That's a free market and how YOU impact it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom