• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Hmmm… last time we deregulated a market and then allowed it to right itself, we ended up with a 700 billion dollar bailout. I wonder if congress will fund a bailout for all the $800 ak buyers who are running up their credit card debt?

And cherry's grow on trees.

You're right, that has nothing to do with this either. :p
    Military Camp

Kbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    And cherry's grow on trees.

You're right, that has nothing to do with this either. :p

Housing market yesterday
    Predatory lenders + uneducated buyers + spending beyond means = few sellers get rich & many buyers end up with unmanageable debt

Firearms market today
    Predatory sellers + uneducated buyers + spending beyond means = few sellers get rich & many buyers end up with unmanageable debt

I see no correlation. One of these days I would like to visit this over simplified world where average sellers just trying to get by sets prices for educated buyers who make sound financial decisions.

Here on planet Earth I see firearms sellers posting adds such as "BAN IS COMMING" "GET IT NOW BEFORE OBAMA EATS IT". Once fear is created they raise prices. In basic economics we call this market manipulation.

On the other side you have buyers who listen to this crap, become panicked and buy. When the dust settles, and it will. Buyers will be holding debt on an $800 ak, that is now only worth $300. Even if he sold it he couldn't pay off his debt.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Housing market
    Firearms market

Today, yesterday, tomorrow, that's not a fair comparison. But we're just splitting hairs now. :p

Here on planet Earth I see firearms sellers posting adds such as "BAN IS COMMING" "GET IT NOW BEFORE OBAMA EATS IT". Once fear is created they raise prices. In basic economics we call this market manipulation.

Market Manipulation to one is marketing and sales to another. A market isn't being manipulated. A seller can say all he wants, a buyer has to believe it. Some won't think for themselves and trust the "seller" is looking out for their own good. That's an uneducated buyer......but they have ever opportunity to learn for themselves as the educated buyers to. Each side still has their obligation to due diligence. They don't make a market on their own though.

I think we've beat this ant into the dirt deep enough he can't get out anymore.

photofreeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    I didn't read all 7 pages but the TGT prices compare with what the crooks at gun shows are asking. As so many have said it a free market. and Thank God for that.

breacan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Spring TX
    I check out Texas gun trader quite frequently and don't find their prices all that high. If you want to see ridiculous prices just go to one of the Houston Gun Shows at the Geo. R. Brown.
    I went to the last one with cash in my pocket to buy a couple of pistols and found that I could save $ 50 to $ 100 by buying locally at a retail store.

photofreeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    I check out Texas gun trader quite frequently and don't find their prices all that high. If you want to see ridiculous prices just go to one of the Houston Gun Shows at the Geo. R. Brown.
    I went to the last one with cash in my pocket to buy a couple of pistols and found that I could save $ 50 to $ 100 by buying locally at a retail store.

And with the retail purchase you get the support of a dealer that needs you to come back, and wants you to reccomend him.
    I was at that show and its the last one I will attend until the scare is over or Obama has turned me into a criminal for owning a gun.

perdurabo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    And with the retail purchase you get the support of a dealer that needs you to come back, and wants you to reccomend him.
    I was at that show and its the last one I will attend until the scare is over or Obama has turned me into a criminal for owning a gun.

So if I pay a local brick-and-mortar gun store's assrape markup I get the privilege of their "support"? What exactly is it that I'm getting? Is the extra 15-20%+ markup over their wholesale cost from Davidson's or Zander's and being forced to pay sales tax worth the "support" I'd get on the very off chance the gun came DOA? How many times in your lifetime have you returned ANY durable good (not just guns) that you can say with complete and full honesty was completely due to manufacturer error and not your own stupid mistake?

Guns arent like cars, you arent going to be bringing it back every 6 months or so for regular service. You dont need a "relationship" with a gun dealer. Theres no advice they can provide that cant be found in a half hour of searching with google, and with a lot less conflict of interest. Theres nothing they can sell you that cant be bought more cheaply online from either an internet-only dealer or from a private individual and then shipped and transferred for less money. Why spend more money when you don't have to?

Gun shows are the same way. They are great for looking and a nice place to paw on firearms before you buy them far more cheaply elsewhere... but you'd be a fool to pay the prices there and throw away money for the sake of mere immediacy or convenience.

Mcoupe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Haggle with the dealers like some people do. Sometimes it works.

What is the worse they can say? No?

Developing a good relationship with a dealer where the "loyal customer-flexible dealer" relationship is built nearly always wins out.

And it potentially avoids the feeling of being overcharged.

Kbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    From another post, but it works here:

If anyone here remembers Oct 94, pre-ban lowers were $600 - $700, hi-cap Glock mags were $80. The industry adjusted by importing AK kits and assembling on US receivers, ARs had flash suppressors pinned on, companies made replacement mag bodies. We're gonna be ok.

And no matter how you attempt to justify it dealers are taking advantage of fear. Soon the uninformed buyers will get what they want or they'll be broke. At that point I hope long time firearms buyers will remember who tried to tell them a $700 AR is now $1700.

knightro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Bend
    If Obama keeps stimulating the economy, by the end of the year you'll be able to buy AR15 < $500 from people who need to pay rent and buy groceries.

perdurabo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    As of two days ago, texasguntrader.com started charging $5 per ad to post an ad. Why on earth do they have to do this? Plenty of other sites make plenty of revenue to support the site with things like google ads. Why can't these folks do the same?

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Time to go back to listing on FAL Files, arfcom and the thigh road.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As of two days ago, texasguntrader.com started charging $5 per ad to post an ad. Why on earth do they have to do this? Plenty of other sites make plenty of revenue to support the site with things like google ads. Why can't these folks do the same?

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Time to go back to listing on FAL Files, arfcom and the thigh road.

First off, even though it has been stated before, maybe you might have missed it. Almost all of the big advertising programs out there such as Google/Adsense are ANTI-GUN. They want nothing to do with anything firearms related and will not allow usage of their ad programs to anyone intending it for that purpose. Because of that, the ad programs out there that will allow gun related content are significantly less effective. It's a tough situation.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom