Texas Guns Closing??

Discussion in 'San Antonio' started by majormadmax, Jun 12, 2018.

1. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Does anyone know if Texas Guns on Bandera Road is closing? We drove by it on Saturday and I could have sworn there was a sign stating that.

I haven't been by there in years, but from my experience while they did have a large selection and somewhat friendly staff, their prices are ridiculously 2-3x higher than all the other gun shops in San Antonio. I bought a Mosin M44 from them many moons ago which wasn't priced too badly, but that was likely ten years or so ago. We did go in there a year or so ago (just out of curiosity) and they were having a big "sale" where everything was 25% off (meaning it was only double what you paid anywhere else).

Whereas I usually hate to see any local gun businesses go under, this is one that wouldn't upset me too much. They are taking advantage of people's ignorance and eventually that reputation will catch up and bite you in the ass (as apparent by their 1.5 stars out of 5 on Yelp!).

As someone said in one of their Yelp reviews, "Go to the Gun Shack up the street to purchase and shoot somewhere else!!!" That captures my sentiments exactly!

But if true, this will be the second San Antonio gun shop to close in recent months (Don's on 410 being the other one).

2. Charlie

Charlie Illiterate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Texas Guns in Kerrville closed several years ago. Prices were high and service was bad. It seemed like there were never any customers in there.

3. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Hmmm, that is a puzzling scenario.

4. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I think he jacked his prices up when sales went down because of .............. high prices. 'Hell of a business plan! Hah!

5. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Sounds like the US Post Office.

6. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Jack up the prices, then put em on sale at retail....

7. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

and then there is Nagel’s..........

8. McCrapper

McCrapper Member

May 28, 2018
    Central Texas
    **** that place and the dude that runs it.

I felt like Dons never had alot going on, more gunsmithing if anything. That was an older shop.

9. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Funny, I remember when they moved a lot of their inventory out to Kerrville in anticipation of greater sales.
    Maybe they figured there was less competition, is there anyplace other than Gibson's or Young's to really buy guns out there?

I will have to drive by the place again to see what is going on.

10. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Apachie is just down the road about 10 miles on I-10. They have a great store and range but can be a little pricey!
    On the North side of I-10 at Comfort!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    majormadmax likes this.