Texas Hams

brainiac

Mar 7, 2008
Parker County
I noticed on another thread in this section (electronics) that there are a few hams here. I have a relatively new Technician license but am really enjoying it so far. I got my license to use off-road and for some emergency nets, so my only radio at present is a 2m Yaesu FT-2800M in my truck:
IMG_0137.jpg

but I'm going to put up an antenna, buy another radio, and start a small shack in my home office.

Who else here is an operator?

Lee
KE5VTE

andre3k

TGT Supporter
Aug 8, 2008
Houston
KC5DGR here.

Got my license in in 1993 when I was 12.

Have a 2 meter rig in the truck but hardly ever turn it on anymore. I really need to upgrade and get into HF. VHF has run its course with me.

brainiac

Mar 7, 2008
Parker County

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
Been licensed since 1977. n5esj Very glad I got into that hobby. Has allowed me to make friends with a lot of good people and helped me many times over. It also make you feel good when you can help someone else.

dieselmech

Nov 8, 2008
dfw
been around it all my life.. I need to renew my call and fill out that 610 for a change of address.
KF6RHT

also anyone that comes accross this thread and has intrest check out AA9PW web site just use google to find it.
He has done a great job with practice exams and current laws.

ldcarson

Sep 21, 2008
Brasilia, Brazil
I've been around for awhile, but mostly overseas the last 15 years. have kept the licences renewed, but have heard they have had some changes. When I was in I was a Tech Plus (5wpm), but I heard that went away, and I noticed on last update, my licenses showed just tech, so I need to take teh general, advance and extra tests at some point. hard to do from overseas location though...

OH: Kd4KHX (Formerly KD4GZO)

lonewolf23c

Oct 2, 2008
Idaho
What amateur license is recommended? I just plan on being an operator, I don't really plan on building anything so I wouldn't think I would need the technician class license. I however really don't want to have to take a Morse Code test either. What licenses are out there that don't require me going back to school for electronics to be able to get a amateur radio license without the Morse Code test?

Owens

Mar 5, 2008
Levelland
Unless I'm wrong (possible), there are now only 3 levels of license available. Technician, General and Extra. No code is required now. A sad thing in my opinion. Code is still used by some and is a mode that will punch through interference and noise. The extra class is the most technically demanding license. A good source of info is arrl.org.

Each class has some amount of electronics with a smattering of rules/regs, procedures, practices, etc. From tech to extra, each gets a little tougher. In the extra class it gets into satellite communication modes. Took that test once and didn't fare too well. May try again sometime. Currently I hold a now extinct license, the advanced class.

73 (best regards)
Owens / N5QNS

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Staff online

Forum statistics