• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Interesting thread. I worked a ham set doing phone patch work while in the Military. Way back before cell phones and sat communications allowed Members and their families to chat. My hat is off to all the old timers that using their own money and equipment allowed us to keep in touch. Call sign I worked under was a club call. VE8RCS.... While not doing phone patch we did QSL with a lot of Hams all over the world. Anyone know where I was at or get a card from there?
    Venture Surplus ad

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I also used to be pretty active on 2 and 450 (and some 40 meters) in the 70s and even 80s in the Waco area. Haven't really messed with it in the last 20+ years (work, family, etc.). Just acquired (bought) an Icom HF rig from the wife of a fellow ham I knew back then that died recently. Gonna' hang a wire when the weather warms up and look around on 40 and 15 to see what's happening.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Interesting thread. I worked a ham set doing phone patch work while in the Military. Way back before cell phones and sat communications allowed Members and their families to chat. My hat is off to all the old timers that using their own money and equipment allowed us to keep in touch. Call sign I worked under was a club call. VE8RCS.... While not doing phone patch we did QSL with a lot of Hams all over the world. Anyone know where I was at or get a card from there?

Canadian Arctic? Greenland? Just a guess. Am I close?

dinkydow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    N.E. Ohio
    Here is the setup I will be running in my M151A1 Jeep. I have the sponson plates and shock mounts installed along with the cables and coaxes. The Transmit and receive antenna and base is installed along with all but the AB15 antenna & base for the the R422 radio. The A2060 has the PRC77 mounted. All that is left, is hooking the power cables up and the one, receiving only antenna and base.

ANGRC160withAM2060mountmanpack.jpg

Capture19-8.png

Capture20-6.png

The images are from another collectors vehicle...but my setup and my Jeep are nearly identical.

He has his AB15 antenna mounted on the pass side, right behind the door opening. I have yet to mount mine yet.. as i just found one and it is now too cold to work on... right now .

I hope soon to be able to locate an RT 524 radio as well.

I have no plans to hollow out my military radios and install new state of the art stuff.

There is a fellow in Cleveland who can pretty much repair anything that takes a dump with these.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    The PRC77 is a 30-75 Mhz rig. Just one ham band falls within that range (6 meters) and it only opens up for long range communication in rare band openings. Otherwise it is a communicator rated to 11 miles as long as the radios on both ends are tuned to the same frequency and mode. Operating outside the six meter band (50-54 Mhz) is now taken seriously by the FCC; homeland security and interference with licensed communication and so on.

Be sure to get licensed first so you have a firm grasp of the regulations and bands you can operate within your license class.

I have PRC surplus radios in storage, away from where my wife has to look at them. They fall into the "some day I'll get this stuff running" category. I see beauty in them. I guess they just look like metal boxes and cables to others.

Anyway, good luck and get that license.

dinkydow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    N.E. Ohio
    The 6 meter band 50-54Mhz is the only band I had planned on using the PRC77 in. The R422 radio is a receive only radio. The only time I have planned to "key up" the mil spec stuff, is at MV club functions...after I have received my license. I plan on going shopping for a decent commercial handheld unit then, as well.

AndrewGS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Spring
    Bringin' this thread back from the dead.

KD5FHW here. I'm a general with no radios at the moment. Had a Kenwood TS-2000 and loved it but I sold it to buy wheels for my car. I'll be replacing it when I can.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    N5VHR. Northern DFW area. 2m and 440. I usually shoot at the indoor range in Garland but can be talked into the bullet trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when i should have been doing something useful

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    KF5KEA from Athens here. Tech class currently and am studying for my general. You can almost always find me on the 147.220 machine here in Athens with a pl tone of 136.5. Ever in this area put out a CQ.

73's

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    My dad was WA9KQD when we lived in the north. He was Navy MARS and CD. Mostly 2 meter, I believe. He died last year. My mom sold all his stuff to a guy in Houston for $100. A bargain at 5 X the price. He teaches inner city kids about the Ham radios.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I like Virginia Ham....what does Texas Ham taste like?

Oh...ummmm............no, don't have a Ham Radio, but think if I did try, I would have another additicion, so it might not be a good idea......

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    If you are new to Texas your home is probably not restricted by zoning laws but restrictive covenents are very common and much harder to fight. If you do what you want with your urban or suburban property, which you paid for, you may be sued by your homeowners' association. Nazis are friendly compared to ours. No antennas.....Period.

Rural land is a different story but may be somewhat restricted. Jim W5BYR

Top Bottom