• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    I noticed on another thread in this section (electronics) that there are a few hams here. I have a relatively new Technician license but am really enjoying it so far. I got my license to use off-road and for some emergency nets, so my only radio at present is a 2m Yaesu FT-2800M in my truck:
    IMG_0137.jpg

but I'm going to put up an antenna, buy another radio, and start a small shack in my home office.

Who else here is an operator?

Lee
    KE5VTE
    Hurley's Gold

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    KC5DGR here.

Got my license in in 1993 when I was 12.

Have a 2 meter rig in the truck but hardly ever turn it on anymore. I really need to upgrade and get into HF. VHF has run its course with me.

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Been licensed since 1977. n5esj Very glad I got into that hobby. Has allowed me to make friends with a lot of good people and helped me many times over. It also make you feel good when you can help someone else.

dieselmech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    dfw
    been around it all my life.. I need to renew my call and fill out that 610 for a change of address.
    KF6RHT

also anyone that comes accross this thread and has intrest check out AA9PW web site just use google to find it.
    He has done a great job with practice exams and current laws.

ldcarson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    I've been around for awhile, but mostly overseas the last 15 years. have kept the licences renewed, but have heard they have had some changes. When I was in I was a Tech Plus (5wpm), but I heard that went away, and I noticed on last update, my licenses showed just tech, so I need to take teh general, advance and extra tests at some point. hard to do from overseas location though...

OH: Kd4KHX (Formerly KD4GZO)

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    What amateur license is recommended? I just plan on being an operator, I don't really plan on building anything so I wouldn't think I would need the technician class license. I however really don't want to have to take a Morse Code test either. What licenses are out there that don't require me going back to school for electronics to be able to get a amateur radio license without the Morse Code test?

Owens

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Levelland
    Unless I'm wrong (possible), there are now only 3 levels of license available. Technician, General and Extra. No code is required now. A sad thing in my opinion. Code is still used by some and is a mode that will punch through interference and noise. The extra class is the most technically demanding license. A good source of info is arrl.org.

Each class has some amount of electronics with a smattering of rules/regs, procedures, practices, etc. From tech to extra, each gets a little tougher. In the extra class it gets into satellite communication modes. Took that test once and didn't fare too well. May try again sometime. Currently I hold a now extinct license, the advanced class.

73 (best regards)
    Owens / N5QNS

glock9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I finally got licensed last year after thinking about it for 30+ years.

I decided if I was going to do it I was going all the way so I studied and passed all three in one month.

I'm active on VHF & HF both fixed and mobile

73s

Glock9
    AE5EB

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Unless I'm wrong (possible), there are now only 3 levels of license available. Technician, General and Extra. No code is required now. A sad thing in my opinion. Code is still used by some and is a mode that will punch through interference and noise. The extra class is the most technically demanding license. A good source of info is arrl.org.

Each class has some amount of electronics with a smattering of rules/regs, procedures, practices, etc. From tech to extra, each gets a little tougher. In the extra class it gets into satellite communication modes. Took that test once and didn't fare too well. May try again sometime. Currently I hold a now extinct license, the advanced class.

73 (best regards)
    Owens / N5QNS

Thanks Owens for the info.

So the technician class is still the easier test to take? I work full time for the military so I don't have much spare time to study for a comprehensive exam. Its been a few years since I've studied electronics so it would take me a while to learn all the new stuff.

I would like to learn morse code, but I'd rather do it on my own time when I'm comfortable with the equipment rather than having to learn from scratch just to pass a test.

Owens

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Levelland
    lonewolf23c,
    If you want to learn code, there are a lot of software programs available that can help with that. Also on the ARRl site, there is code practice at various speed (words per minute) that can be downloaded as mp3 files and you can get the text to go with it check yourself (or cheat a little ;)) to help. 5 WPM is pretty slow. I had to pass it at 13WPm, but I am pretty rusty.

Dig around a bit and you may be able to locate the question pool for the tech exam. Great toidy time study.

owens

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    lonewolf23c,
    If you want to learn code, there are a lot of software programs available that can help with that. Also on the ARRl site, there is code practice at various speed (words per minute) that can be downloaded as mp3 files and you can get the text to go with it check yourself (or cheat a little ;)) to help. 5 WPM is pretty slow. I had to pass it at 13WPm, but I am pretty rusty.

Dig around a bit and you may be able to locate the question pool for the tech exam. Great toidy time study.

owens

I think I actually have the program somewhere for learning morse code. I may have to download it again though at some point, but right now I just want to get my foot in the door so to speak and get my license first. Since I'm in the military and in a small community I think the amateur radio equipment could be put to use in emergency situations. I know a few years ago when the REACT team was still around they actually had to be the communications for the police, fire, and rescue when we had a major power outage.

I first was interested in Amateur Radio when the local club put on a presentation during a career fair while I was still in High School. It was really interesting all the stuff that can be done with a Ham radio.

Also what is a good non-expensive radio to start with? I want it to put in my truck. I just need some ideas, so I can start finding out prices. Gonna be a while before I can buy one since I haven't even started the licensing process (reading the book to take the test hasn't even started yet LOL).

Thanks again for your help.

Bill

dieselmech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    dfw
    tech class is not hard to get. Go to rat shack and pick up the aarl study guide. What is covered in the test is ohms law, wave forms, antenna length, max allowable output (pep), band useage and some common sense laws. also this is by far the best sorce of current info on the subject AA9PW FCC Exam Practice. AA9PW has done an execlet job for all his work in helping others learn and and pass the test. All you need is a few weeks the AARL book and aa9pw's web site and you should pass

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    tech class is not hard to get. Go to rat shack and pick up the aarl study guide. What is covered in the test is ohms law, wave forms, antenna length, max allowable output (pep), band useage and some common sense laws. also this is by far the best sorce of current info on the subject AA9PW FCC Exam Practice. AA9PW has done an execlet job for all his work in helping others learn and and pass the test. All you need is a few weeks the AARL book and aa9pw's web site and you should pass

Sounds good, I'm going to start working at it and maybe, (fingers crossed) that can be my xmas present this year.

30+GSXR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    LoL Blue Dog

Howdy guy's - HAM I AM

I hang out sometimes on the HP/Compaq Repeater 444.450

ShawnR.

Top Bottom