• ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    From Tara Mica, NRA-ILA regarding Texas HB 195:

Just wanted you all to know that House Bill 195, which criminalizes private firearms sales at gun shows and requires them to be conducted through licensed dealers, has been referred to the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee. A link to committee members' emails and phone numbers can be found here: https://house.texas.gov/committees/committee/?committee=C220

Criminal Jurisprudence is chaired by a Democrat from Fort Worth who we have not been able to get a meeting with yet, which is more than a little disconcerting considering the number of bad gun bills that are being referred to her committee There are 5 Republicans and 4 Democrats on the committee. We should not take anything for granted with such a narrow margin.

Please take a look at HB 195 and consider sending a note in opposition to this measure to all members of the committee. And if you want to come to the Capitol to visit with committee members and their staff in advance of any public hearing on the measure, I'll be glad to take you around.

Some of my observations on the bill are below. Here's a link to the text of it as filed: https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/billtext/pdf/HB00195I.pdf#navpanes=0

Thanks,
    Tara Mica
    NRA-ILA State Legislative Director

* It allows an FFL who conducts a background check for a private transferor/transferee to charge a fee "in an amount equal to the cost incurred by the person to obtain the background check". Since there is no charge for dealers to access the background check system, it is unclear whether they'll be able to charge anything for their services, which will be required at gun shows under the proposed Act.

* It requires private transferors to maintain records of their firearms sales or face Class A misdemeanor charges. It's unclear what constitutes a "record of sale" (a copy of a 4473? a handwritten receipt? how much and what type of information must be documented?). Since there is a criminal penalty attached to failure to maintain one, this needs to be more specific for compliance purposes.

* As a promoter, you could face Class A misdemeanor charges if a private gun sale is conducted without a NICS check in the parking lot of your show venue!

* You would be required to provide written notice of the date, time and place of your shows to local law enforcement not later than 30 days before a show is held. Or face a Class A misdemeanor penalty.

* You would be required to conduct (which you can't) or arrange for an FFL to conduct NICS checks on "any person who purchases a firearm from another person who is not a licensed firearm dealer" at your shows. This is confusing. Many FFLs run checks for others voluntarily at shows and out in the real world. But the wording of the bill seems to outline that you could face Class A misdemeanor charges if you, as the promoter, fail to secure and arrange for a dedicated FFL to run all NICS checks for all private parties selling guns at your shows.
    ARJ Defense ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    skynews-comedy-wildlife-photo-awards_4489778.jpg

Attachments

• skynews-comedy-wildlife-photo-awards_4489778.jpg
      skynews-comedy-wildlife-photo-awards_4489778.jpg
      48.2 KB · Views: 473

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yikes!

Look at the bill, page 2, lines 5-8:

"b) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly
    sells a firearm to another person in exchange for money or other consideration at a gun show and the person does not maintain a record of the sale."

As I read it, if you go through an FFL holder to sell a gun at a gun show and they do the proper federal background check you must, additionally, maintain a record of the sale. Presumably forever.

Actually it's imprecise.
    Which "person" must keep the record of the sale? It does not even specify.

What a clause. What a way to criminalize otherwise innocent citizens.

!!!!!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    * It requires private transferors to maintain records of their firearms sales or face Class A misdemeanor charges. It's unclear what constitutes a "record of sale" (a copy of a 4473? a handwritten receipt? how much and what type of information must be documented?). Since there is a criminal penalty attached to failure to maintain one, this needs to be more specific for compliance purposes.

As with Oregon’s sb941, you can’t enforce this. Now one thing to note here, and I do not know if Texas is like this but let me explain a pretty dark agenda about bills like these and I have to use my home state as an example here. Let’s say someone got popped for violating sb941. That’s a class a mis. In Oregon, a class a requires a 5 year ban on ownership and if violated its a felony. So I’m always suspicious of any low level charge that is formed from gun control as the democrats are some the most diabolical people ever!

* As a promoter, you could face Class A misdemeanor charges if a private gun sale is conducted without a NICS check in the parking lot of your show venue!

illogical. Gotta love Democrats.

* You would be required to provide written notice of the date, time and place of your shows to local law enforcement not later than 30 days before a show is held. Or face a Class A misdemeanor penalty.

Ahhh yes, Democrats being too stupid to implement logic and resources already available to keep a show honest. Gotta know what we’re doing every second of the day.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Democrats writing gun bills;

“ Buttfinger shitmouths record of pillage verbally disconstipated with fragrant uproar to fuckadilly pickle”

Because that is about as much sense as these miserable communist cockstains make in their bill wording.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

As with Oregon’s sb941, you can’t enforce this. Now one thing to note here, and I do not know if Texas is like this but let me explain a pretty dark agenda about bills like these and I have to use my home state as an example here. Let’s say someone got popped for violating sb941. That’s a class a mis. In Oregon, a class a requires a 5 year ban on ownership and if violated its a felony. So I’m always suspicious of any low level charge that is formed from gun control as the democrats are some the most diabolical people ever!

illogical. Gotta love Democrats.

Ahhh yes, Democrats being too stupid to implement logic and resources already available to keep a show honest. Gotta know what we’re doing every second of the day.

Well.
    I'm one to always look for the silver lining.

If this proposed law was well thought out, well written and reasonable it might pass.

We should welcome the ridiculousness, as that will thwart it's passage.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Well.
    I'm one to always look for the silver lining.

If this proposed law was well thought out, well written and reasonable it might pass.

We should welcome the ridiculousness, as that will thwart it's passage.
    We shouldn’t be so sure. We have to reject any future gun control. As In not even listen to any of it even if it is a well thought out idea. Those republicans holding those seats need to terminate it in the committee. I hope they understand how critical this is.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    We have to reject any future gun control. As In not even listen to any of it even if it is a well thought out idea.

There is no well thought out idea with respect to gun control. Owning a firearm is our constitutional rights.

If the intent is to reduce the use of firearms by criminals to conduct criminal acts, focus on punishing the criminal.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    There is no well thought out idea with respect to gun control. Owning a firearm is our constitutional rights.

If the intent is to reduce the use of firearms by criminals to conduct criminal acts, focus on punishing the criminal.
    I agree but I reject gun control because it’s illogical. It ignores helping people. All anyone has to do is look at how many people drive with phone distractions or like asshats and put other lives at risk each day. I don’t swallow the gun control pill in any form now. People want gun control because their impulsive crazies.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IMHO Texas repurbs are more willing to sell out the Constitution for pet projects than many others. All these bills are throwing sh*t against the wall, in the hope something will stick. That and repourbs seem to give up quickly in the face of bad press. Adds up to great danger, which means we spend our time fighting against the wall of sh*t, rather than advocating for the few good bills. And never forget, there is no gun show loophole.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I agree with you, although I wish we were right.

It's been beat to death, but the word "arms" in the 2A is not defined in any way.

"Arms" could mean fissile Uranium-238. It is clearly restricted.
    "Arms" could mean a Colt 38 revolver. They are subject to some control.
    "Arms" could mean a 30 round AR15 magazine. They are illegal in some jurisdictions.
    "Arms" could mean a Browning superposed with buckshot rounds.
    "Arms" could mean HE rounds for an M203 launcher. Clearly restricted.
    "Arms" could mean a Henry .22lr lever action rifle.

We all get it.

Like it or not....gun control needs to be well thought out.

To abbreviate the discourse and influencing legislation by asserting "Owning a firearm is our constitutional right" is to carelessly traverse the slippery slope.

The aforementioned constitutional right, by necessity, must allow for degrees of interpretation. Were it otherwise we could all order M67 fragmentation grenades on Amazon! I want a grenade but I'm being infringed, dammit.

Last edited:

thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    Statistically there is virtually nothing to support any of the gun control measures put fourth by the leftists. It's all just "do it to myself feel good stuff". Read a poll recently where criminals in prison were asked where they got their firearms. Don't recall the numbers but scant few went to gun shows, even less went to the LGS. Granted, some were procured through "personal sales" but typically no one selling stolen guns is concerned about a Federal Forms, background checks or paper trails.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I agree with you, although I wish we were right.

It's been beat to death, but the word "arms" in the 2A is not defined in any way.

"Arms" could mean fissile Uranium-238. It is clearly restricted.
    "Arms" could mean a Colt 38 revolver. They are subject to some control.
    "Arms" could mean a 30 round AR15 magazine. They are illegal in some jurisdictions.
    "Arms" could mean a Browning superposed with buckshot rounds.
    "Arms" could mean HE rounds for an M203 launcher. Clearly restricted.
    "Arms" could mean a Henry .22lr lever action rifle.

We all get it.

Like it or not....gun control needs to be well thought out.

To abbreviate the discourse and influencing legislation by asserting "Owning a firearm is our constitutional right" is to carelessly traverse the slippery slope.

The aforementioned constitutional right, by necessity, must allow for degrees of interpretation. Were it otherwise we could all order M67 fragmentation grenades on Amazon! I want a grenade but I'm being infringed, dammit.
    "But"

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom