• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Been here all my life as were my parents before me and their parents before them. I think my Greatgrand parents on both sides migrated from Germany sometime in the late 1800s. My wife's story is the same. Pure D German ancestry as are our children.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    My paternal GGF came to TX from AL circa 1906, - may or may not've had a banjo on his knee. My maternal GGF came to TX from TN circa 1857. Neither side of my family noted where their women originally came from. Everyone in my lineage since those guys, was born in TX.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Been here all my life as were my parents before me and their parents before them. I think my Greatgrand parents on both sides migrated from Germany sometime in the late 1800s. My wife's story is the same. Pure D German ancestry as are our children.

My wife's grandparents spoke only German. They came from the village there that bears the family name.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    My family first came over from England in 1652.

My ggg-grandfather was born in TN and received a land grant in Lamar County in the early 1840’s. He sold it a few years later, moved back to Arkansas, then moved back in the 1850s and operated a ferry across the Red River.

The family lived in Dallas County and owned the land around where Sandy Lake crosses George Bush, before the war, then apparently lost everything after the war.

Great Grandfather was born in Kaufman Country, Grandfather in Jack County (Loving), and I’m from Fort Worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My parents brought me here in 1965 from the location of my birth, Mobile, Alabama. I have no family history in Texas and not much outside of it.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    My ancestors came from Germany and Ireland. The earliest in 1630. My wife is a member of the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) and I am a member of the SAR (Sons of the American Revolution). Our families settled in Iowa. We came to Texas in 1981. We have 6 children, 13 grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Born in Louisiana to a French speaking family and still have one foot there, but Dad worked on a traveling seismograph crew after he got out of the service around '46 and that took us repeatedly to Texas.

My earliest memories of Texas were in West Texas - places like Brownfield, Fort Stockton (used to go swimming at Comanche Springs when, other than stock tanks with a windmill, it was the only wet place for miles), Odessa and Monahans; and where I learned to ride, shoot prairie dogs, appreciate BBQ, and live with scorpions, tarantulas the size of dinner plates, and sand in all the crevices you got; until we finally moved permanently to Texas in 1951, where I entered the third grade.

I got my first Texas style indoctrination in school with the old "Texas History Movies" comic book, from which Texas history was taught in public schools in those days ... by gawd Texas history was taken seriously back then!

Always loved to read, and Miss Anthony, in 7th grade English Literature class turned me on to J. Frank Dobie, beginning a life long love of Texas, its literature, its unique ways, the people who populated it, its music, and above all, its history.

If its about Texas history, and by a Texan, I've read it. My most cherished possession to this day is a First Edition, autographed copy of "Goodbye To A River", by John Graves, a well known Texas author who was writing about his last trip down the old Brazos before Possum Kingdom Dam was built, and later became a professor at UT. Graves also wrote a column in Texas Monthly called "Country Notes" for years, way before it became a liberal rag, now noted mainly for ruining all the good places to eat with its "best in Texas" BS.

I first read the book, in paperback form, when it was given to me by a Red Cross "donut dolly" who dropped out of the sky in a helicopter into an LZ in the jungles of RVN, with hot coffee, donuts and paperbacks to give away. Later, after telling that story to a studio client, she found a first edition copy, tracked down John Graves (RIP), and somehow convinced him to personally sign it to me.

So, I basically grew to manhood in mostly rural Texas, close to the land, on a horse farm. Went to A&M in the days when you could work during the summer and make enough for tuition, books and room and board, and repeat the next year. Hunted ducks, geese, quail and dove out the back door, and deer not that much further away.

If that was not enough, I feel really learned the most about Texas as a Texas "Landman". First running land titles in just about every county court house in Texas that had any O&G production possibilities; and then buying O&G leases from the landowners ... and nothing will give you an appreciation of old time Texas and its inhabitants more than visiting and dealing with those who still lived on land in those days, land that had been in their families for generations. Have literally thousands of anecdotes that could be told about that, from taking Heirship Affadavits, to sitting on porch swings, next the washer and refrigerator, in rural East Texas and listening to "40 acre and a mule tales", with the mule still there.

How many of y'all know what "yard children" are?

Wasn't born here, but I'll damned sure do what it takes to be buried here.

That's what Texas will do to you.

GoodbyeToRiver.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Mom was born in Louisiana. Dad met her at a now defunct military base.

I only saw her family once as a little boy. I can remember a jar full of pickled quail eggs sitting on the table. Wondering WTF. Her family lived about 50-100(?) Miles from the border of Texas. Half way between the top and bottom of the state.

She was Scottish.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    My ancestors came from Germany and Ireland. The earliest in 1630. My wife is a member of the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) and I am a member of the SAR (Sons of the American Revolution). Our families settled in Iowa. We came to Texas in 1981. We have 6 children, 13 grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren.

I was looking into joining the SAR before my wife got shot. I may have to look into again in the near future. I believe I have a few ancestors, according to my research that should qualify me, but I don’t know if I can get all the necessary documents.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    I was looking into joining the SAR before my wife got shot. I may have to look into again in the near future. I believe I have a few ancestors, according to my research that should qualify me, but I don’t know if I can get all the necessary documents.

I am friends with the Texas State SAR Registrar. Can you PM me with contact information?

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Moved here in 1985.

Dad was from Alabama and mom from Pennsylvania. They married in Childress in 1945 when my dad was stationed there in the US Army Air Corp.

Had an uncle from Alabama who sold some 2000 acres around Georgetown in the 1850s that he was granted for fighting in the war for Texas independence.

Wife’s mother’s side of the family were among the first settlers of Fredricksburg. German of course. There are some interesting stories from that side of the family including 2 direct line ancestors that were killed by an outlaw group of Rebels called the Hangerband. One was a father of 9 that had lost his wife to sickness 3 days earlier.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The oldest brother is the genealogy guru in our family.
    He has been tracing family branches way back to the 1500’s and even further.
    Several trips to Europe to dig through old records.
    My grandmother told a family tale that “way back there we had a couple of Swiss ancestors.”
    We all thought this was just old family lore and put no faith in it.
    Sure as shootin’ the brother was doing research and discovered there were indeed two brothers that left Switzerland to fight in The Thirty Years War. They met some local frauleins and stayed after the war. They were our no fooling ancestors! LoL.

Surplus Guy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    Hood County
    Mother's side from Seguin. Father's side from Missouri. Air Force brat at Randolph and Webb AFB. Family left Texas for 7 years. I made it back alone and will never leave again. Really wish I had those 7 years back too.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Born in Joliet, Illinois & could only take that crap until I was 23. Lack of work & state politics forced me out. Had a buddy working as an iron worker in downtown Houston talked me into coming to get into the apprenticeship in 1981. I came down New Years day 1982. He had the dates wrong for the apprenticeship program. I ran out of money & went to work for Randall's as an apprentice meat cutter. Spent 36 years there until I couldn't take Albertson's anymore.

I've only left for my parents funerals & my buddies wedding. He stayed up yonder I stayed here. Found better friends & a wife. Besides Texas was way more to my liking as far as guns ownership!

Had enough of Houston now planning to escape to some small town life. Hoping my inside the loop home gets back to pre Hurricane Harvey value real soon.

JeepFiend

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Bryan, TX
    My great grandfather on my mother's side came to Mercedes, TX by way of Missouri. After my grandmother was born, moved to San Diego, CA. My father's side got to Texas in the mid 1800's, with most coming through Alabama and Mississippi and eventually settling in the Terrell area. They've been there ever since. Most are buried in Myrtle Springs. By the time I got back, they'd all passed except a couple of cousins. Not sure how my pop made it to San Diego where he met my mom, but he didn't stay around long enough to ask.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The oldest brother is the genealogy guru in our family.
    He has been tracing family branches way back to the 1500’s and even further.
    Several trips to Europe to dig through old records.
    My grandmother told a family tale that “way back there we had a couple of Swiss ancestors.”
    We all thought this was just old family lore and put no faith in it.
    Sure as shootin’ the brother was doing research and discovered there were indeed two brothers that left Switzerland to fight in The Thirty Years War. They met some local frauleins and stayed after the war. They were our no fooling ancestors! LoL.

As long as there no Czechoslovakia blood in it. You're good.

For some reason I never understood. German Texans and Czech Texans did not like each other.

Jwr1221

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I was born on the Naval base in Corpus Christi; Dad's family was from Illinois and Mom's family was from Pennsylvania. Parents divorced when I was very young and Mom and I moved back to Pennsylvania. Grew up in a little hick town just outside Pittsburgh and then went to Erie, PA for college. Got involved in the oil industry (pipeline component manufacturer) and ended up relocating to Houston in 2012 to take a job with one of the oil companies.
    With the exception of Houston traffic, lovin' every minute of being "back" in Texas!

Top Bottom