• ...and so much more!
  • digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Is that bakery still there on the hwy?? Haven't been thru there in a long time...used to make it a side trip no matter my direction!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Yes. There's also one on the back side of Temple. In Westphalia. Full deal kitchen. Old school stuff too. Like particles of pork floating in this translucent fat brick. Chilled. Sold by the slice.

I can't remember the name. I guess you guys put in on bread because my dog wouldn't eat it. No joke. Would not eat it. This was after I took I bite and thought I'd eat anything.

I can't remember the Damn name.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Head cheese...not a fan either but my wife is from TN/VA and you see a lot of it there. I have become a fan of country ham from that area

That's it. Chunks of pork floating in a jello looking substance. I'd try it again. Maybe me taste have changed.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Curse you guys! You have to talk about head cheese and kolaches! I'm hungry now and don't know where to get those!!!

On another note, I need to get a beef roast to make official German sauerbraten for Christmas. Time is short, as it requires 21 days of brining.

On another note, I used to date, in fact lived with a Czechoslovakian, I used to pick on her when we went out to eat. Ummm, sorry babe, you'll have to wait in the car, sign on the door says "No Checks".

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Damn near any food from Germany I'll eat and be happy. they like their meat. Schweinehaxe with some Knodel. (pork knuckles and dumplings) Yummm.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I've never been to the one on I35. Only Westphalia. Always thought the place in West was a tourist trap.
    The shop that faces directly out onto I-35 is a bit “touristy” but there’s another shop on a side street that’s runs perpendicular to I-35 were locals stop. Either place will take care of your kolache fix.

The wife usually drags me down to “the German store” once a month (combination grocery store / restaurant) just off the SMU campus. She loves the dark bricks of German bread (texture of a compressed sawdust block).

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Mother used to make this horrible gruel called Kraut&Pork.
    Basically its was saurkraut and pork meat boiled like a stew. She loved the stuff. Claimed it was an authentic Old World recipe from way back in the family.
    To me it tasted like glue with glumps of goo in it.
    Bleeech. It still makes me hurl just thinking about it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Damn near any food from Germany I'll eat and be happy.
    I don't have sufficient experience to say that but there used to be a German beer hall type place just across the river from Cincinnati that I loved. I used to eat there a lot during my frequent business trips to Cincinnati. I really got to where I liked that town and that's something I never thought I'd say about any place in Ohio. :)

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    I don't have sufficient experience to say that but there used to be a German beer hall type place just across the river from Cincinnati that I loved. I used to eat there a lot during my frequent business trips to Cincinnati. I really got to where I liked that town and that's something I never thought I'd say about any place in Ohio. :)

Don't worry Ben, if it was across the river from Cincinnati it was Kentucky!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Don't worry Ben, if it was across the river from Cincinnati it was Kentucky!
    Yeah, I know. But that strip just across the river is basically an extension of Cincinnati set up for tourists. I've walked down further into that town many times. There were weird strip clubs, homeless all over the place, and one of the strangest gun stores I've ever seen. The gun store had about 100 square feet, at most, for customers to stand around, completely hemmed in by low glass display cases. Behind the display cases were tables with machine shop equipment and stacks and stacks of rifles and parts everywhere for at least 75 feet to the back wall. It was a complete mess with parts, old guns, paperwork and other detritus stacked (and I'm being properly literal about this) 4 feet high in some places. It looked like some old gunsmith had been stacking up every spare part and project he'd ever thought about since 1935.

You might like this - they had a pistol bolt action in the display case missing the guts of the bolt. It was from that company that went out of business when their assets were seized by the ATF. (It's been so long I can't remember the name.) Anyway, they wanted $900 for a non-functional action for which no parts would ever become available.

Like I said, one of the strangest gun stores I've ever entered.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    If you like German food, stop by Walburg (northeast of Georgetown). They have the German food.

%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F8b%2F27%2F68%2F8b2768490377d96c1d58a53e96d198e2.jpg

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Is that bakery still there on the hwy?? Haven't been thru there in a long time...used to make it a side trip no matter my direction!!

Czech Stop is still there. But across the highway is Slovaceks. Great meats and better kalaches. I never go to Czech Stop anymore. But the best kolaches are downtown at Geriks or the Village bakery.

Top Bottom