• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    As long as there no Czechoslovakia blood in it. You're good.

For some reason I never understood. German Texans and Czech Texans did not like each other.

You can pretty well bet it was mostly religious at the time, and going back to the reformation, which still created a schism in European minds, and often was the reason for immigrating to the new world.

Manifested in many small Texas towns:

If the first/biggest, or only church in town was Lutheran, it was generally a German settlement.
    If a Catholic church, it was generally a Czech/Polish settlement.

Last edited:

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    My Paternal Great Grandfather was born in Tennessee and came to Texas in 1862 and married a girl that was born in the Republic of Texas. They had 11 kids that survived to adulthood. My Grandfather was the last in 1888. His oldest brother was 26 at the time. That makes me third generation Texan. My line has since added the 4th, 5th, and 6th generation.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    You can pretty well bet it was mostly religious at the time, and going back to the reformation, which still created a schism in European minds, and often was the reason for immigrating to the new world.

If the first/biggest, or only church in town was Lutheran, it was generally a German settlement.
    I could be wrong, but I believe it was the Spanish that brought the Catholic church.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Fredericksburg has turned into a tourist trap. In '79 I married a local girl from there and it was a totally different town. Her parents came from a line of original settlers from Germany in 1845 I think it was. Lived in a stone house with 12-16" thick walls built in the 1800's. We're divorced and I seldom go down there, that's her territory.

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Fredericksburg has turned into a tourist trap. In '79 I married a local girl from there and it was a totally different town. Her parents came from a line of original settlers from Germany in 1845 I think it was. Lived in a stone house with 12-16" thick walls built in the 1800's. We're divorced and I seldom go down there, that's her territory.

Yep. I’ve been going there since the 80’s. Parents were living in Kerrville. Mother-in-law is moved back there when she retired. Housing prices are through the roof there now. Natives can’t afford to live there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

I attended a Lutheran church in "The Grove", Texas on hwy 36. In the history of it. Sermons were only in German. The males and females sat on different sides of the church. Then it slowly changed to a mix of German and English. Females and males could sit together if they wanted.

Finally it went to English and the male/female separation is part of the history.

Places like West are Catholic.

If a Lutheran can't find a Lutheran church. They can visit a Catholic church. I don't know if Catholics visit Lutheran.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    If a Lutheran can't find a Lutheran church. They can visit a Catholic church. I don't know if Catholics visit Lutheran.

My parents did.

Raised Catholic, but spent their last 30 years going to the Lutheran Church in Whitehall, TX ... the only church in that little German town to this day.

Mom was half German/half French ... big German community around Roberts Cove, in South Louisiana where her mother's family, a Klein from Aachen Germany, lived and farmed rice. Thus my first name.

Not even an Iglesia.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    My parents did.

Raised Catholic, but spent their last 30 years going to the Lutheran Church in Whitehall, TX ... the only church in that little German town to this day.

Not even an Iglesia.

Saint Paul is practically across the street from Whitehall with a few folks from church living there.

With the bulk of members living in Moffat and the surrounding area.

We might know each other or have at least met.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Saint Paul is practically across the street from Whitehall with a few folks from church living there.

With the bulk of members living in Moffat and the surrounding area.

We might know each other or have at least met.

Might be a different Whitehall, this one is in Grimes County, about 15 mi SE of Navasota?

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake

Thank you for explaining that, I'd always wondered how/where that friction started.

Top Bottom