DK Firearms

Texas House passes bill that reduces penalties for Texans caught with small amounts of marijuana

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    https://www.texastribune.org/2019/04/29/texas-marijuana-house-penalty-reduction-bill/

If successful this is a move in the right direction. Its going to the Senate now but unfortunately Dan Patrick had previously stated he was opposed to it. People who care about this need to be calling and writing him; remind him that the Republican Party of Texas platform supports this type of bill.

(512) 463-0001
    Office of the Lieutenant Governor
    P.O. Box 12068, Austin, Texas 78711

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=86R&Bill=HB63

Bonnen voted against this, statists gonna state.
    98 Yeas, 43 Nays, 3 Present, not voting

Yeas - Allen; Anchia; Bailes; Beckley; Bernal; Biedermann; Blanco; Bowers; Bucy; Button; Cain; Calanni; Canales; Clardy; Cole; Coleman; Collier; Cortez; Darby; Davis, S.; Davis, Y.; Deshotel; Dominguez; Dutton; Fierro; Frank; Geren; Gervin-Hawkins; González, J.; González, M.; Goodwin; Guerra; Guillen; Gutierrez; Hernandez; Herrero; Hinojosa; Howard; Huberty; Hunter; Israel; Johnson, J.D.; Johnson, J.E.; King, T.; Krause; Landgraf; Larson; Leach; Longoria; Lozano; Lucio; Martinez; Martinez Fischer; Meyer; Meza; Miller; Minjarez; Moody; Morales; Morrison; Muñoz; Murphy; Neave; Nevárez; Ortega; Pacheco; Parker; Patterson; Perez; Phelan; Ramos; Raney; Raymond; Reynolds; Rodriguez; Romero; Rose; Rosenthal; Schaefer; Sheffield; Sherman; Springer; Stickland; Talarico; Thierry; Thompson, S.; Tinderholt; Turner, C.; Turner, J.; Vo; Walle; White; Wilson; Wray; Wu; Zedler; Zerwas; Zwiener

Nays - Allison; Anderson; Ashby; Bell, C.; Bell, K.; Bohac; Bonnen; Buckley; Burns; Burrows; Capriglione; Craddick; Cyrier; Flynn; Frullo; Harless; Harris; Hefner; Holland; Kacal; King, K.; King, P.; Kuempel; Lang; Leman; Metcalf; Middleton; Murr; Noble; Oliverson; Paddie; Paul; Price; Sanford; Shaheen; Shine; Smith; Smithee; Stephenson; Stucky; Swanson; Thompson, E.; VanDeaver

Present, not voting - Goldman(C); Klick; Mr. Speaker

Absent, Excused - Farrar; Johnson, E.; Lambert; Lopez; Toth

Absent - Dean
    Gun Zone Deals

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I will wait for the companion bill that reduces penalties for possession of small quantities of illegal machine guns.

Or put another way, when someone shows me the stoners are supporting my gun rights, I will give a **** about them.

Either way, loosening of drug laws is a trap and will harm gun owners by making them prohibited persons.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    meh you feel its the right direction that does not mean it is the right direction.

As for me as long as you do it and it does not effect me I could care less what it is you are doing. I guess I should throw in as long as its not causing harm to other living things.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Most of the weed heads I ever met are Free Shit Army liberals. I worked with this couple who where always late for work because they had to wake & bake to I love Lucy. They helped themselves to lots of things on the job, my guess they were sticking it to the man!

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Criminalizing it was the biggest mistake this country made next to prohibition of alcohol. The penalties in TX back in the 60s and 70s was life in prison

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Legalizing it is the way it is going. I am not in favor of it but politicians really don't care about my other viewpoints so why should this one be any different? Potheads like alcoholics are a drain on the economy and social norms.
    It's not like CO has gone without problems since legalizing it. I use to enjoy trips to Vegas but now after they legalized it, it is just more of a reason pool on the Strip or Downtown.
    We never learn.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    DOA in Senate.
    https://www.texastribune.org/2019/0...uana-decriminalization-dan-patrick-joe-moody/

Marijuana is a schedule I narcotic. Some examples of substances listed in Schedule I are: heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), peyote, methaqualone, and 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine ("Ecstasy").

If the logic is some schedule I narcotics are different than others, then each drug needs to be looked at, because the argument can be made for ecstasy (by some, at least).

Neither alcohol nor tobacco are even on the list as a controlled substance. Have the feds remove it from that list and the story changes. Until then, there’s plenty of other states to move to that will accommodate your desires.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I believe this is the wrong direction for Texas. And I agree with one of the early posters in this thread. I have never seen a pro 2nd Amendment sign at at 420 celebration. SnoopDog is an aXXhole. I've seen pot lead friends to destruction.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I think it's idiotic that you can be sent to prison for just having a small amount of natural plant.

When has any kind of prohibition ever worked in the past? Anyone who wants it can get it at any time. Other than wasting millions of YOUR dollars on it, what good does keeping it illegal do anyone?

Murder, rape, burglary, theft, fraud, arson are all prohibited and can get you sent to prison.

Do we legalize this behavior, too?

Where does the rationalization stop?

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Sorry, but comparing drug use to real crimes is absurd. There is no solution to the problem of drug use. It is not a criminal problem and should never have become one. We have wasted Billions of dollars on a failed process. As long as a person doesn't harm another person or their property they should be left alone.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Some of the stereotypes are funny. I know guys that make $60-$100k a year in different career fields from construction to IT. Some are business owners so I dont put them in a $$ catagory. They are far from the "Spicoli" persona. They all have their shit together, raise & provide for their families, they are fathers to their children. They come home & instead of popping a pill or a top on a beer they smoke some pot. If my job didn't test I'd probably be right there with them.

Heres a question for ya...
    How many people you know that take proscription pills? Prescription pills are 10X worse than marijuana. Pills can kill you & shut down bodily organs... pot dont do that.

I'm pretty sure shes on a few pills

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Murder, rape, burglary, theft, fraud, arson are all prohibited and can get you sent to prison.

Do we legalize this behavior, too?

Where does the rationalization stop?
    What kind of screwed up logic is that? You can't be seriously comparing having a few grams of weed to rape and murder.

By that logic, we should keep certain types of guns illegal because having them is just as bad as being a murderer.

When does the rationalization stop? How about when there is an actual victim. Growing or having a little pot does not produce a victim.

What DOES produce a victim is criminalizing it, imprisoning people for it, and inadvertently creating a black market for it that creates a high possibility of people being victimized.

That goes away when it's legalized, just like it did when the prohibition on alcohol was repealed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom