DK Firearms

Texas - How Hot and Dry Is It This Year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    It’s been so hot …
    It’s been so hot and so dry … | SciGuy | a Chron.com blog
    • That June was the warmest on record in Houston.
    • The month finished with an average temperature of 86.15 degrees, besting a mark set in 1906.
    • The Junes of 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 all rank among the 10 warmest Junes on record.
    • April, May and June of 2011 all rank among the 10 warmest on record in Houston.
    • Houston had seven 100-degree days in June. On average it gets four per decade.
    • August is the city’s warmest month. This June would tied for the eighth warmest August of all time.
    • It’s been so dry…
    • Nearly three-quarters of Texas now falls into an “exceptional” drought, the worst category.
    • The driest nine-month stretch in Texas history ran from June of 1917 through February 1918 (average 9.36 inches)
    • Since Oct. 1, forecasters estimate Texas has had about 8.5 inches of rain.
    • Houston has had 7.9 inches of rain this year. It normally has about 25 inches by now.

droughtmion070111-600x469.jpg

If the combined July-September precipitation for Texas is 5 inches or so, we’ll equal our driest 12 months ever, set from October 1955 to September 1956. Because of the previous years of drought in the 1950s, the current drought still wouldn’t be as bad as then. That’s from a meteorological point of view; impact severity may be different.
    Texas SOT

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Just had a house burn smooth to the ground right down the hill from me! Must have started from inside as there was no trees/brush burned outside (lucky for the rest of us!). Nothing left but burned brick (no roof, interior walls etc. Retired couple built it only about 5 or 6 years ago, very nice house and yard (probably over $250K). I'll go down there a little later and see if they can use some help. Excuse the slight thread drift. I'll try to post some cell phone pics later. Keep cool.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    That squirrel reminds me of a bird I saw as a kid in Texas. It was 105 and humid in San Antonio one summer, and on my way home I stopped underneath a tree to get a few moments of shade. I heard a strange noise and turned my head to see a small bird, not more than six inches from my face sitting on a branch, with his beak wide open and panting for all he was worth. He was so hot that panting to stay cool outweighed flying away from me. Amazing!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hmm
    i wonder if thats why i ahve all these little nest things in my back yard dirt.

there aint no grass there anyway, dont see how it would be much cooler though.

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    Out in Wimberley and Driftwood we're seeing all kinds of critters coming out in the middle of the day, looking for water and food I guess. Same with insects, I've killed more scorpions in my house this summer than ever before.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    2009 was actually much hotter than this year, but I don't think it was near as dry. I was seeing asphalt temps pushing 180+ and blowing tires like there was no tomorrow. While it has been very hot very early, '09 still has '11 beat.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    hmm
    i wonder if thats why i ahve all these little nest things in my back yard dirt.

there aint no grass there anyway, dont see how it would be much cooler though.

Some birds like to take "dirt baths." I've watched wrens take dirt baths before, especially when water is scarce. Maybe that's what those ground nests are in your backyard?

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    its hot enough for the dumb deer to drink my chickens water. Heck I have huge cracks in the ground and dirt mostly no grass. Ive had it with these deer and no one will do anything about it!

Top Bottom