• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68blackbird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Corpus Christi
    Took my CHL class, like most, the guy from TLS came in to give us the info on their services. I think I was the only one in the class that did not sign up that day, mainly because I knew it would take at least a couple months to get my plastic, but also wanted to research them more before commiting. I am in several other CHL/gun forums, like most people, and I have done a lot of digging looking for some real life experiances people have had with TLS, with not one actual case where TLS was used and or won/lost the case. So I went to the TLS website(which is put together real nice, a lot of great info), went to the CONTACT page, and basically told them I had heard all about them, researched them, informed them that almost all the info I read in other forums was that TLS was nothing more than scam. I informed them I was not out to bash them, just letting them, know what was being said about them on the www, and asked for any proof of any kind that they were who they state they are, and any evidence of cases that show it. I told them I really want to sign both me & my wife up, just want to insure it is money well spent. Well, it has been a couple days with no reply from them, this bothers me somewhat. I was very pleasant with my email thinking they would reply with something to esure me it would be a good idea to go with them, but as of now, nothing.....so, my friends, can ANYONE show me the light on this firm? Thanks, Kelly
    Hurley's Gold

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't think it's a scam. Sounds like fairly typical legal insurance to me... You need to decide for yourself if you think insurance is worth it. Personally I think it's better to contribute the money spent on most insurance types to an emergency fund instead, but I think I'm in the minority with that opinion.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    I am currently signed up with them. Here's hoping I never have to find out if its a scam. Problem with a rainy day fund is there is no way it will be enough to pay for legal services to defend myself in a case. And don't lie to yourself, if you ever have to shoot someone in self defense, you are going to get sued by that "shining example of societies best" family and friends.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Before you accuse anyone of being a scam, you had better provide some evidence to that effect! As long as that company provides the services rendered, then there is no "scam."

Now, whether you think it is worth the money or not is up to you, but before you make libelous claims like that you had better do your research beforehand!

There has been an ongoing debate as to whether pre-paid legal services are worth the money, but there is one company that provides similar generalized legal services for 1.5 million customers (for $26 or less each month, families and small business owners have direct phone access to a local law firm to obtain advice and counsel. Legal assistance is provided for virtually everything you can imagine including document review when buying a house or a car, setting up a will, handling problems with insurance company claims, dealing with identity theft issues and more. Much more. Various riders are also available including a legal shield rider, home business rider, and even a corporate record keeping option). Now the kicker, they've been doing so for nearly forty years!

What TLS is capitalizing on is a business opportunity, they identified a market and found a way to make money off of it. It's like insurance, you might be paying for services you'll not need; but if you do they are there.

And also like insurance, it's important to read the fine print and be aware of what coverage you have and more importantly, don't have!

So unless you have proof that they are not providing the services paid for, there is no "scam" here. Whether it is a good deal or not is up to you, and I for one don't think it is worth the money; but I would never claim it is anything but a legitimate business.

TennisFreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    I was sitting next to a member of the Dallas SWAT team in my CHL class (the instructor even let him get up and talk to the class some) and when the TLS came in and made their pitch he was very against it.
    He did not claim that they were a "scam" or did not provide a useful service but he was very unsettled with the pitch they made and how our CHL class turned into an advertisement and marketing opportunity for them.
    He claimed that the way it was presented to us in class that TLS was "fear mongering" and taking advantage of people who may be less experienced with guns. (for the record their pitch made it seem like if you did not buy into their system you would be screwed if you ever used your weapon or if anyone ever found out you had a CHL and carried a weapon).

68blackbird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Corpus Christi
    Before you accuse anyone of being a scam, you had better provide some evidence to that effect! As long as that company provides the services rendered, then there is no "scam."

Now, whether you think it is worth the money or not is up to you, but before you make libelous claims like that you had better do your research beforehand!

There has been an ongoing debate as to whether pre-paid legal services are worth the money, but there is one company that provides similar generalized legal services for 1.5 million customers (for $26 or less each month, families and small business owners have direct phone access to a local law firm to obtain advice and counsel. Legal assistance is provided for virtually everything you can imagine including document review when buying a house or a car, setting up a will, handling problems with insurance company claims, dealing with identity theft issues and more. Much more. Various riders are also available including a legal shield rider, home business rider, and even a corporate record keeping option). Now the kicker, they've been doing so for nearly forty years!

What TLS is capitalizing on is a business opportunity, they identified a market and found a way to make money off of it. It's like insurance, you might be paying for services you'll not need; but if you do they are there.

And also like insurance, it's important to read the fine print and be aware of what coverage you have and more importantly, don't have!

So unless you have proof that they are not providing the services paid for, there is no "scam" here. Whether it is a good deal or not is up to you, and I for one don't think it is worth the money; but I would never claim it is anything but a legitimate business.

I was not accusing them of anything. What I stated was the I am in several other gun/CHL related forums and after a fairly extensive search, the majority people in those forums thought is was a scam. I read the terms of agreement with TLS, and sent them an email basically asking for any proof or referances that they can and will provide me assurance it is a good investment. Listen, the concept is a no brainer to me. I'd pay more than what they charge for that service. I'd sign up today if I was postive they would be there if needed. I guess I'm just a skeptic and I reaearch most everything before putting money on it. I am not here to bash TLS, just like some confirmation of there validity, and since I have not found any, and that TLS themselves have not replied to my inquiry, I'm not sure it is worth it....

BTW, I remember during our CHL claas, the spokeman for TLS told me directly they they had 21-22 cases they were currently handling. My thought was, if they had that many current cases, one could assume that they have handled a fair amount of case through the years. I have yet to find comfrimed person that has used them.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Funny, in all of the forums I am on, TLS is highly thought of.

What makes it a "scam" whatever that means? What will YOU do if you are forced to use deadly force? How will YOU pay for an attorney?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I was sitting next to a member of the Dallas SWAT team in my CHL class (the instructor even let him get up and talk to the class some) and when the TLS came in and made their pitch he was very against it.
    He did not claim that they were a "scam" or did not provide a useful service but he was very unsettled with the pitch they made and how our CHL class turned into an advertisement and marketing opportunity for them.
    He claimed that the way it was presented to us in class that TLS was "fear mongering" and taking advantage of people who may be less experienced with guns. (for the record their pitch made it seem like if you did not buy into their system you would be screwed if you ever used your weapon or if anyone ever found out you had a CHL and carried a weapon).

Said the cop who has prepaid legal through either CLEAT or some other association.

What is YOUR plan? Do you have a solution?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I think you may be jumping a little quick. I read the article as someone concerned about the possibility of a scam, or at least shady business practices, not an accusation.

We always hear about how insurance companies are trying to rip us off so it is only natural for someone to have suspicions.

To the OP, I read through the material. IMO there is tons of lawyer speak and as lawyers the people of TLS will surely cover there ASSets.

I don't know that I agree with them using the CHL class itself for their sales pitch, my instructor asked us to stick around a few minutes after it was done so we could leave if we wanted or stay and see what it was.

As for the coverage, there is no way in hell I could afford a descent defense or even good legal council before a trial so I believe it is a good investment. Putting the money in an "emergency pool may work for some but what happens if you need it next week. Just how long would it take you to get 20K+ saved up for a real defense. How much do you think your local DWIS lawyer knows about Texas gun and self defense laws.

The last thing I wanted to comment on was the away member telling his opinion. It is utterly meaningless unless he is also a lawyer and has vast knowledge of insurance laws as well as some experience with TLSs service. Outside that, he is just some guy who doesn't want their insurance, he deals in tactical situations, not legal advise.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    All the info on their services are provided via their website, I wouldn't go on secondhand information; if you've got questions call them and ask yourself.

I know someone who was involved with TLS a while and he is an upstanding individual who never tried to sell me anything.

Based on all the info he told me, they are an honest business and in no way are trying to "scam" anyone. He only broke away from that company as he wasn't able to dedicate the amount of time they wanted from him (he has his own business).

TLS is a conglomerate of lawyers throughout the state, and I am sure the Texas Bar Association would get involved if there were any nefarious activities occurring.

While some may not like their marketing pitch, there is nothing they are doing that isn't legal or above board.

68blackbird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Corpus Christi
    All the info on their services are provided via their website, I wouldn't go on secondhand information; if you've got questions call them and ask yourself.

I know someone who was involved with TLS a while and he is an upstanding individual who never tried to sell me anything.

Based on all the info he told me, they are an honest business and in no way are trying to "scam" anyone. He only broke away from that company as he wasn't able to dedicate the amount of time they wanted from him (he has his own business).

TLS is a conglomerate of lawyers throughout the state, and I am sure the Texas Bar Association would get involved if there were any nefarious activities occurring.

While some may not like their marketing pitch, there is nothing they are doing that isn't legal or above board.

That is more encouraging, thanx. I did send them an email asking/stating pretty much what I said here. I went to their contact page, sent email, did not hear back from them. I have a good friend that lives in Houston, uses TLS, I plan to go visit them when I go see my buddy next time up there. I took the opprotunity in this forum to gather more info, no harm or claims of inpropriety were intended, Kel

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    I am signed up with them but have never had to use them thankfully. To me it is insurance, just like I pay for home insurance for a fire or tornado that I hope never hits me. You have a number to call an attorney if needed and they give you guidance on what to do and not do after shooting in self defense.

I will say that their email newsletters are informative, going into more depth on various state laws. For example, how family law code affects ones firearms ownership. They send emails when reciprocity laws change in other states affecting Texas CHL holders. You also get discounts at various member ranges and gun shops.

When we have sent them emails they have responded in a timely manner.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Said the cop who has prepaid legal through either CLEAT or some other association.

What is YOUR plan? Do you have a solution?

I agree with the cop that having someone else pay for your insurance sounds like a better option, but I'm wondering what a cop is doing taking a CHL course?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I agree with the cop that having someone else pay for your insurance sounds like a better option, but I'm wondering what a cop is doing taking a CHL course?
    Lots of cops have a CHL. I have mine. Makes buying firearms MUCH faster and easier. Cops dont have to take the class and the fee is only $25 (If I remember correctly)

68blackbird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Corpus Christi
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by 68blackbird I took the opprotunity in this forum to gather more info, no harm or claims of inpropriety were intended, Kel
    No matter others response(s), that was clear throughout your posts.

Thanks...I'm new here and don't want to get on anyones bad side, though it appears I already have throught private messages.

As requested, here are some of the links about this subject. It's a lot of reading, stuff I have read weeks ago. In all those links, it's pretty much the same feel here, some have it, but never used it(thankfully), others feel it is not worth it. I feel like Don Henely, "The more I know, the less I understand".....my original question still remains for me, in all these forums I have not found one person who can show me where TLS, or any other "pre-paid" legal firm has been used. I know "good shootings" don't occur everyday, but I would have thought there would be 1 comfirmed case they covered? The fact that they have not replied to my email also makes me wonder. I will ask to speak with them in person next time I am in Houston and will follow up on this. I know there are many other like me with the same thoughts...I'm out on htis matter for now, thanks for the vine, Kelly

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40597
    http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41065
    http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53556&start=30
    http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25767
    http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/34/Topics/2074729
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339744
    http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32248
    http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48620&start=15

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Police still get a nics check. CHL holders dont.

I get that, but if they don't have to take the class to get the CHL, why would they pay for, then sit through the class? Why not just fill out the paperwork, send in the money, and get their CHL?

Top Bottom