Join TexasGunTalk

Texas Law

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Indisputabull, Jan 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Indisputabull

Indisputabull New Member

Jan 5, 2019
    Arlington
    Hey all! I am wanting to do a private sale on a couple firearms, what rules do I need to abide to in regards with the laws? Back in NC we just meet at a Wal-Mart and do the swap there, hoping the same is acceptable here!

2. jrr14

jrr14 New Member

Dec 12, 2018
    US
    Sub'd I'll need this info as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Indisputabull likes this.
  3. Indisputabull

Indisputabull New Member

Jan 5, 2019
    Arlington
    I'm sure the buyers wouldn't mind but I don't want something coming back to bite me

4. JCC

JCC Active Member

May 1, 2018
    US
    Sub'd. Pretty sure you can sell to anyone you would like, but a bill of sale is recommended to give a paper trail for yourself. I have seen some people who only sell to current Texas LTC holders.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    I prefer some place a bit nicer than Wal-Mart, but I have bought a rifle in the parking lot of a Sams Club once.

In a nutshell, if you have no reason to believe the buyer is a prohibited person and is legal to own the gun, sell it. Bill of sale is OK if you want, but there's really more negatives than positives IMHO.

equin, MTA89, oldag and 3 others like this.
  6. jrr14

jrr14 New Member

Dec 12, 2018
    US
    Back home we both had to be LA residents and reasonabley believe they were not felons...I did a BOS to cover my butt

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. gdr_11

gdr_11 Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    I usually take a Bill of Sale with me but size up the other guy in 5 minutes. If I see no issues, it guy is well known on the forum, active military, etc. then cash and carry is fine. If other guy does not use gun speak or seems to be anything other than open and confident, I tell them I have changed my mind and leave. Anything in between we do the deal but I require they sign the BOS and allow me to snap a pic of their TDL. Sounds complicated but when you outline this up front before you meet it usually goes smooth. I only do deals in front of gun shops or places like Academy

Andyd, Indisputabull and Charlie like this.
  8. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    NO One gets a pic of my ID. Period. If I decide to, I MIGHT show you I have one. But you don't get info off it.
    No BOS unless you have an FFL or collectors license and you show it to me for your bound book.
    Neither are required in Texas.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

9. Indisputabull

Indisputabull New Member

Jan 5, 2019
    Arlington
    Thank you all for your feedback, I think I'll continue business as usual, I never sell to someone who seems overtly sketchy and haven't had any problems so far but you never know. I just didn't want to get roasted for not following some random private sale law

10. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    jrb gave you skinny on it. Nothing required other than not selling to a felon.

And don't believe Moonpie when he tells you that you have to let him look first.....

HKaltwasser, SQLGeek, V-Tach and 4 others like this.