Guns International

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says Senate currently lacks the votes to pass permitless carry

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Under the House rules an amendment not germane to the original House passed bill opens the door to a "point of order" The point is the Bill as passed in Senate has had its intent changed and thus is not the "passed bill" and can not even go to conference committee it is rejected as dead. Of the amendments offered the first drastically changes the intent of the bill, " Amend HB 1927 (senate committee printing) by striking SECTION 4 of the bill (page 2, line 10 through page 3, line 19) and SECTION 10 of the bill (page 4, lines 32 through 38) and renumbering subsequent SECTIONS of the bill accordingly. " That may be one of the three amendments that are problematic.
    Texas SOT

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Just talked to Senator Bettencourt's office and if they know they aren't saying. I believe the staff at least have no clue about the "sky is falling" amendment or who is spreading the story.

There’s only two original sources I’ve seen referencing the Senate’s amendments. The first is Schaefer’s twitter re: generic concern about the amendments; the second is Chris McNutt. Every ‘poison pill’ story I’ve found seems to point back to him

Chris has a vested interest in mobilizing activists (and donors) for TXGR and he has a reputation for being sensationalistic.

That being said, DP’s got to send the bill back to the house; that’s item #1. Until that happens, DP is the ‘poison pill’ right now...if he doesn’t the bill dies.

After that, Phelan has to marshall the House to either accept or send to conference. If it goes to conference, the DP and Phelan have to appoint members: if they don’t, it dies.

While I was optimistic before, I’m less so now. DP can delay sending it back to the House just long enough so that both he can say we did it but there just wasn’t enough time in the House. This allows Patrick to boost his pro-gun creds in the primary if hot wheels decides to make a national run while DP does not have to get the legislation passed.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    There’s only two original sources I’ve seen referencing the Senate’s amendments. The first is Schaefer’s twitter re: generic concern about the amendments; the second is Chris McNutt. Every ‘poison pill’ story I’ve found seems to point back to him

Chris has a vested interest in mobilizing activists (and donors) for TXGR and he has a reputation for being sensationalistic.

That being said, DP’s got to send the bill back to the house; that’s item #1. Until that happens, DP is the ‘poison pill’ right now...if he doesn’t the bill dies.

After that, Phelan has to marshall the House to either accept or send to conference. If it goes to conference, the DP and Phelan have to appoint members: if they don’t, it dies.

While I was optimistic before, I’m less so now. DP can delay sending it back to the House just long enough so that both he can say we did it but there just wasn’t enough time in the House. This allows Patrick to boost his pro-gun creds in the primary if hot wheels decides to make a national run while DP does not have to get the legislation passed.
    After this DP is going to need a lot of boost for any further support from me.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    They are indeed concerned.... Rep Schafer though knows that if they don’t accept those amendments, they may not get this bill to governor at all. And thus CC won’t pass at all

If you look closely, one of the senate amendments actually removed one of the house amendments. However, there is another bill that is out of committee that will basically come and add that language not to HB1927, but to the law code instead. Look at it is a go around. Odds are that bill will easily pass on its own. Thus that amendment isn’t needed.

Look at it like this... do we pass it and get some form of cc, and then pass other laws next session to get what we lost this time? Or do we let it go to conference and risk loosing everything?

Either way, the GOA and Rep Schaffer will have to make some concessions.

Still confident it’s gonna pass?

Getting short on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Someone condense this please. If anyone makes it to the "update".

Thanks.
    I made it to the 20th minute before I got bored and gave up, which means I probaby lasted longer listening to that jerkwad than he lasted in high school. That was excruciating.

Cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2021
    Midland texas
    I would like to say one thing after watching a hat entire debate on 1927 In the senate I for some reason believe that there was some communication between the Schaffer and schwertner no is going to that much effort in to a project if Has a zero chance of success

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Looks like he just got a big boost. Trump just came out with his endorsement for him.

Considering the whole bumpstock shîtshow, I wouldn’t call that a ringing endorsement, unless you keep in mind DP isn’t really a 2A proponent unless UBC and sinking constitutional carry (a Texas GOP legislative priority) is part of the equation.

Top Bottom