• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    Yes sir....My question was not worded well....Let me try again....At the DPS range, what do most of the instructor candidates use...full size or compact....Or even more specifically... what did you use TXI??
    For myself personally, I used a Beretta 92FS and a Ruger GP100 6 inch revolver. Don't over think this. It doesn't matter what anyone else used, what matters is what are you proficient at using. You know the course of fire 3, 7 and 15 yards.. You will have to score a minimum of 225 points VS regular LTC students 175 points though.. So only you know what your abilities and accuracy is with whatever firearm you use. You have already proven your skills by passing the LTC and NRA instructor course of fire, the LTC isn't any different except that you must score 90% or more (225 points) AND you must do it with both a pistol and a revolver...

There were 60 of us in my class, only 1 person failed and that was due to him being unsafe on the range.. Everyone else passed. Just relax, I know this is scary and most of us had the same worries, but you will be just fine.. Again, If you passed your LTC class, you will pass the LTC instructor course. Yes, the range qualifications are a bit harder and the written test is much longer and a bit harder but again I don't think there was a single person in my class that did not come under a 90% score...
    Capitol Armory ad

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    For myself personally, I used a Beretta 92FS and a Ruger GP100 6 inch revolver. Don't over think this. It doesn't matter what anyone else used, what matters is what are you proficient at using. You know the course of fire 3, 7 and 15 yards.. You will have to score a minimum of 225 points VS regular LTC students 175 points though.. So only you know what your abilities and accuracy is with whatever firearm you use. You have already proven your skills by passing the LTC and NRA instructor course of fire, the LTC isn't any different except that you must score 90% or more (225 points) AND you must do it with both a pistol and a revolver...

There were 60 of us in my class, only 1 person failed and that was due to him being unsafe on the range.. Everyone else passed. Just relax, I know this is scary and most of us had the same worries, but you will be just fine.. Again, If you passed your LTC class, you will pass the LTC instructor course. Yes, the range qualifications are a bit harder and the written test is much longer and a bit harder but again I don't think there was a single person in my class that did not come under a 90% score...
    Dam good post....Appreciate the input

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yes sir....My question was not worded well....Let me try again....At the DPS range, what do most of the instructor candidates use...full size or compact....Or even more specifically... what did you use TXI??

I have been to many Instructor classes, my original in 1996, then renewal classes. We used to have to go renew and shoot with DPS ever so often.

I saw every type of gun you could imagine. I used my Beretta 92 FS until I switched my carry gun to a 1911, and since then I used a Kimber Custom CDP.

For the revolver I always use my S&W model 10 4" bull barrel.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I am not sure about the "oh the poor LTC instructors will be broke and homeless if Constitutional Carry passes" line, any more than I believe the line that "oh the poor mechanics will be broke and homeless if we finally stop the vehicle inspections."

Over the last few decades, I noticed a shift in my student's reason for attending the CHL/LTC class. In the before time, the long-long ago, most students wanted to be able to have a pistol in their vehicle without being harassed by Johnny Doughnut. Since the demise of the insane "traveling" laws, the majority of my students now tell me they just want to be able to "ignore" the onerous FBI background check bullshit, especially since we are returning to the "the system is down every weekend" days of the ObamaMessiah ATF.

Which leads me to believe, based on extrapolation from a small but existing data set, that the instructor business will remain strong for permits, just to avoid background checks. As well, of course, as others have said...to carry across state lines.

My usual "instructor test" brace of pistols is a 9mm STI 2011 and a 4" Smith 625 with moon clips, to continue the discussion at hand :)

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Wonder how picky they are about revolvers? I only have 3.
    A black powder cap n ball, a Colt SAA 45lc, and a Ruger Super Redhawk 454. Which I will/can use low pressure 45 colt.
    If you go single action, unless you are very well practiced, you stand a good chance of not making the time requirements for the shooting portion.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you go single action, unless you are very well practiced, you stand a good chance of not making the time requirements for the shooting portion.
    Are you talking about the amount of time they give you to reload or about the time allotted for actual shooting? As long as I have time to reload, I can't imagine failing to fire all shots in the generous times allowed.

I suppose if I wanted to take the test and use a single action and was worried about reloading, I could always use my single-action K-38 and have a bunch of speedloaders on hand. :)

That brings up an interesting scenario - If you're shooting a double-action revolver, will the Range Officer require you shoot it via trigger-cocking instead of thumbing back the hammer? I'm just imagining the miscommunications that could happen if someone showed up with a single-action K-frame S&W.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Are you talking about the amount of time they give you to reload or about the time allotted for actual shooting? As long as I have time to reload, I can't imagine failing to fire all shots in the generous times allowed.

I suppose if I wanted to take the test and use a single action and was worried about reloading, I could always use my single-action K-38 and have a bunch of speedloaders on hand. :)

That brings up an interesting scenario - If you're shooting a double-action revolver, will the Range Officer require you shoot it via trigger-cocking instead of thumbing back the hammer? I'm just imagining the miscommunications that could happen if someone showed up with a single-action K-frame S&W.
    Actual shooting, not reloading. Guy next to me lost a couple of shots while shooting in SA mode on DA revolver.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Guy next to me lost a couple of shots while shooting in SA mode on DA revolver.
    Wow. That's slow. I mean, I'm a slow shooter. These folks who do IDPA and such sports absolutely amaze me. But the times allowed for shooting the Texas LTC test are so long I can't imagine losing any shots to the clock.

It's not that I don't believe you. I do. I just find it hard to wrap my head around.

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas

Nope, they don’t care. I started out double action for the first 20 rounds and realized I had tons of time left. So I did single action for the last 30 rounds. I did have one set that I messed up my cocking and had to fire through the entire cylinder to get back to that last unfired round. I had to laugh at myself afterwards.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Everyone but me had Hi Cap 9
    I am not sure about the "oh the poor LTC instructors will be broke and homeless if Constitutional Carry passes" line, any more than I believe the line that "oh the poor mechanics will be broke and homeless if we finally stop the vehicle inspections."

Over the last few decades, I noticed a shift in my student's reason for attending the CHL/LTC class. In the before time, the long-long ago, most students wanted to be able to have a pistol in their vehicle without being harassed by Johnny Doughnut. Since the demise of the insane "traveling" laws, the majority of my students now tell me they just want to be able to "ignore" the onerous FBI background check bullshit, especially since we are returning to the "the system is down every weekend" days of the ObamaMessiah ATF.

Which leads me to believe, based on extrapolation from a small but existing data set, that the instructor business will remain strong for permits, just to avoid background checks. As well, of course, as others have said...to carry across state lines.

My usual "instructor test" brace of pistols is a 9mm STI 2011 and a 4" Smith 625 with moon clips, to continue the discussion at hand :)

I've noticed some of that reasoning for LTC, I've also noticed a lot folks still prefer classroom over the online version. Had another full class yesterday. Classes have been full for months and are full into May. Private instruction is also up.....

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Everyone but me had Hi Cap 9

I've noticed some of that reasoning for LTC, I've also noticed a lot folks still prefer classroom over the online version. Had another full class yesterday. Classes have been full for months and are full into May. Private instruction is also up.....
    Real job has me slammed, but I am getting a lot of other instructors asking if I can substitute for some of their classes. Just don’t have the time to help them out these days

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Wow. That's slow. I mean, I'm a slow shooter. These folks who do IDPA and such sports absolutely amaze me. But the times allowed for shooting the Texas LTC test are so long I can't imagine losing any shots to the clock.

It's not that I don't believe you. I do. I just find it hard to wrap my head around.
    Mental thing would be my guess. That and DPS actually adheres to the timing for their qualification.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Off Topic Warning
    I've noticed some of that reasoning for LTC
    About LTC reasoning, I signed up for a match that I didn't attend. Plans fell through and it's a long story I won't tell here.

The point is, the match was in the Czech Republic. They had procedures for bringing in guns but most of those procedures assumed the traveler would have a home-country-issued license to possess firearms. Yes, there was a cumbersome workaround for places that don't require licenses. However, having a CHL made the paperwork a breeze. They assumed that if I had a concealed carry license I was obviously licensed to possess firearms.

Bottom line - One of the reasons to have an LTC is to make international travel easier.

I'm not sure too many people care about that but at one point in my life (not anymore, unfortunately) it was important to me.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Turning targets
    Back in the mid 2000s I was at one of the renewal classes where we have to shoot. At 15 yards my target didn't turn to face me on the 5 shot drill until there was about 5 seconds left. I am standing there at low ready, every one else's targets facing them and they are blasting away.

I was standing there...just waiting. Finally my target turned and I fired all 5 pretty quick. One of the Troopers came over to me and asked what happened. We both got a little laugh from it.

That was also the same class where I ate a piece of lead in my arm from the revolver being shot next to me. The timing was off and it was shaving lead. It broke enough skin that I bled.

Good times!

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville

I’m not worried about the shooting or the written test. I too shoot with a 92fs. The only thing that concerned me is the revolvers because they aren’t your typical standard revolvers. Not worried about my shooting capabilities with either.

What’s the time requirement? Most revolvers are either 5 or 6 round revolvers. So your only going to shoot 5 or 6 shots per round without having to reload. Are they expecting one to reload like your in a self defense mode? Should one bring a speed loader?

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    I’m not worried about the shooting or the written test. I too shoot with a 92fs. The only thing that concerned me is the revolvers because they aren’t your typical standard revolvers. Not worried about my shooting capabilities with either.

What’s the time requirement? Most revolvers are either 5 or 6 round revolvers. So your only going to shoot 5 or 6 shots per round without having to reload. Are they expecting one to reload like your in a self defense mode? Should one bring a speed loader?
    No timed reloading. During the revolver quals, you will be shooting in sets of 2s and 3s.

Top Bottom